Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Report - take 3 days between drinking and other moronacy

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So i am on my way to work, listening to A.M. talk radio and they go into a report concerning liver disease and drinking. The report states that you need to give your body three days in between drinking sessions. No big news really but what i was shocked at was the commentary by the show hosts. They begin with, "for regular drinkers not alcoholics, you should abstain for three days blah blah blah" and go onto to say, "so if you are drinking 4 or 5 drinks a night you may want to take a short break inbetween." They have a good laugh about their own personal drinking habits and are aghast at the suggestions that they stop for 3 days. As with most regular drinkers, the conversation turned into a - who can drink more - pissing contest.

So at this point i am screaming at the radio saying, "on what planet is 4 or 5 drinks a night not considered alcoholic behaviour?"

I really think most people have an image in their mind of what an alcoholic is - you know the guy on the street with a 40 wrapped in a paper bag. 4 or 5 a night is screaming dependency problem.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

I don't think 4-5 drinks a night is "screaming dependency problem". It is just above what is considered moderate drinking and would be considered a heavy drinker. This does not mean there is a dependency issue. For some there may very well be and "issue", but I think for the most part it is just "normal" "heavy" drinking. If a person can consistently choose to drink 4-5 drinks a night, then they are not an alcoholic. If they were, they would not be able to choose "only" to drink 4-5 drinks a night. JMHO
Old 12-10-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's important to remember that most talk radio is simply opinion, and controversial opinions attract listeners, which in turn attract advertisers. They certainly got you thinking about the topic, right?

At the end of the day though, opinions are mostly irrelevant when it comes to one's own battle with addiction. I KNOW that alcohol is a problem for me, and I know that the best solution is for me to not drink it. I really couldn't care less what others think or would choose to label me.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As a champion drinker myself, I've found that most people talk a good game, but usually they gave up a few drinks behind me or I lapped them a few times on the sly. In reality, they drink 4 or 5 drinks and they are drunk and ready for bed. After 5 drinks I am just getting started for 5 more. Especially on a night out when I had an "excuse".

I wouldn't say 5 drinks a night is healthy for anyone however.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
As a champion drinker myself, I've found that most people talk a good game, but usually they gave up a few drinks behind me or I lapped them a few times on the sly. In reality, they drink 4 or 5 drinks and they are drunk and ready for bed. After 5 drinks I am just getting started for 5 more. Especially on a night out when I had an "excuse".

I wouldn't say 5 drinks a night is healthy for anyone however.
Good point. When you're a seasoned alcoholic like we are you can spot the difference between an alcoholic and a heavy drinker from about 20 paces. I have several close friends who I would describe as heavy drinkers but they are by no means alcoholics. I didn't understand what it meant to need to drink until the last year or two of my drinking. Alcoholics need to drink. Heavy drinkers like to drink.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think it's important to remember that most talk radio is simply opinion, and controversial opinions attract listeners, which in turn attract advertisers. They certainly got you thinking about the topic, right?

At the end of the day though, opinions are mostly irrelevant when it comes to one's own battle with addiction. I KNOW that alcohol is a problem for me, and I know that the best solution is for me to not drink it. I really couldn't care less what others think or would choose to label me.
This
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I could take three days between drinks, I would be wasted every fourth day for the rest of my life, which would be a lot of fun. However, I can't control my drinking and would be doing it all the time in short order. Unfortunately, no alcohol at all is the way it has to be for this guy.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gargery View Post
If I could take three days between drinks, I would be wasted every fourth day for the rest of my life, which would be a lot of fun. However, I can't control my drinking and would be doing it all the time in short order. Unfortunately, no alcohol at all is the way it has to be for this guy.
If I drank only every fourth day I would be hungover for the three days in between. My last hangover lasted about five days.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talk radio is stupid. Try Pandora.

Bunnes
Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I don't think 4-5 drinks a night is "screaming dependency problem". It is just above what is considered moderate drinking and would be considered a heavy drinker. This does not mean there is a dependency issue. For some there may very well be and "issue", but I think for the most part it is just "normal" "heavy" drinking. If a person can consistently choose to drink 4-5 drinks a night, then they are not an alcoholic. If they were, they would not be able to choose "only" to drink 4-5 drinks a night. JMHO
You are joking here, of course!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Good point. When you're a seasoned alcoholic like we are you can spot the difference between an alcoholic and a heavy drinker from about 20 paces. I have several close friends who I would describe as heavy drinkers but they are by no means alcoholics. I didn't understand what it meant to need to drink until the last year or two of my drinking. Alcoholics need to drink. Heavy drinkers like to drink.
I think heavy drinkers need to drink too. To me they are the same as alcoholics but their consumption is a little less......give it time!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
If a person can consistently choose to drink 4-5 drinks a night, then they are not an alcoholic. If they were, they would not be able to choose "only" to drink 4-5 drinks a night. JMHO
I couldn't disagree more. It's not always about volume imho.

Only a person who can consistently choose to NOT drink 4-5 drinks a night would not be considered an alcoholic. A 'normie' might have 4-5 drinks on a Friday after work, wake up feeling like **** then carry on with their life without even THINKING about drinking for the rest of the week.

I can't do that.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I would guess that most people who drink five drinks a day if faced with the prospect of having to quit drinking would be terrified, something many of us can relate to. They may not face the same consequences as a full-blown alcoholic, but they are almost certainly hooked. Many people who are psychologically dependent will never admit to being alcoholics since they know that would mean they would have to quit.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to look up moronacy. It isn't 'officially' a word. But I'm guessing within ten years 'Webster's Collegiate' will include it.

Out of the mouths of babes...
Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I notice that whenever a scientific study on drinking comes out, the news reporters always laugh it off and then inject some personal humor. Defense mechanism. The truth: drinking is terrible for your health no matter how you slice it. Too much will kill you. Period.

Humans who do not drink are healthier than the ones who do. I choose to be in the non-drinking category these days. Most people I know might have a glass of wine or a beer now and then, but certainly don't drink 4-5 per night. Alas, I think that college/university students often fall into that category, and that's a dangerous time as that is when these habits are formed.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

IMHO all drinkers are addicted just all at different stages.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't get into labels much, but my routine for the last 10 years was buy a 6 pack on my way home from work every night and drink 4 to 5 most the time and a few nights a week maybe just drink 2 or 3.
Starting Friday night I'd drink 8 to 12, Saturday I'd buy a pint of bourbon and chase it with beer, drinking another 8 to 12. Depending how I felt I'd take Sunday off. Usually didn't, so I'd drink 6 or so.
I stopped drinking whenever I caught the high I was after, that's the only reason I drank.
I was psychologically addicted for sure, I felt like somthing was missing when I didn't follow my routine.
Am I an alcoholic or heavy drinker? Does it make any difference?
At the end my stomach was killing me and I still have stomach issues 7 months later.
I decided that drinking is not an option for me anymore because of health concerns and the fact I will always chase the buzz and won't stop until I achieve it, I can't just have A beer, what's the point? Might as well have a water.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My routine was 5 glasses of wine every night -- 35 glasses a week. Weight factors in here, too, but that's a lot of alcohol for me. I'd never have admitted to my friends that I regularly drank more than 8 bottles of wine per week by myself.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I drank 3-4 most evenings, a bit more on weekends, and still considered myself an alcoholic. I wasn't physically addicted, but I was emotionally dependent on alcohol to soothe my discomfort and worries in life. I'm only now able to see how that dependence keeps us from growing and realizing our potential, at least in my case it did.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Alcoholics need to drink. Heavy drinkers like to drink.
Fine line right there. Weren't we all just heavy drinkers at one point?