Notices

How I got sober and stayed sober without AA

Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I understand that, desypete—and I am in AA. But there are people from AA who are just as bad in the other direction. I find these tit-for-tat “apologetics” not only unhelpful, but potential harmful for newcomers seeking ways to sobriety.

I am from now on going to refuse to participate in them at all, as it does not help my serenity. The only reason that I don’t think the mods should just shut down this thread is because the OP and some of the following posts did have helpful insights—for anyone, AA or not.

With that, I’m gone—from this thread and the other one that I posted in ("Rational Recovery vs AA"), where a similar argument goes on.

Stay well, all!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

It's interesting that some people get into the my drinking was worse than yours thing or my recovery method was better. Kind of like little kids saying my dad could beat up yours, (always wondered if females said my mom can beat up yours). I have to confess I find myself thinking the same things, maybe it's just part of human nature.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
It's interesting that some people get into the my drinking was worse than yours thing or my recovery method was better. Kind of like little kids saying my dad could beat up yours, (always wondered if females said my mom can beat up yours). I have to confess I find myself thinking the same things, maybe it's just part of human nature.
I think them sometimes, about the recovery methods. Yet I do pretty much leave it alone, for my own benefit, and others. I'm grateful my method works for me, and other's methods work for them. There may be a 'best fit' for each person, but I don't think there's necessarily a 'wrong fit'.

If we look closely, we do discover that no one person really approaches things EXACTLY the same, regardless of the major method. That seems to hold true for a lot of things in life.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post.

Its Friday here and the end of week 3 without Alcohol.

Its the first time I have had a major craving for a beer. I know that I can't due to Antabuse and letting myself and other people down.

However, the craving is there and part of me is actually depressed at the moment. I'm really hanging for one and that AV is telling me that I deserve it after the hard 3 weeks I have had.

The AV is also panicking about the thought of giving it up forever.

While I have lasted 3 weeks I know I have a long journey ahead. I really have to reprogram my brain.

Thank you for your tips again.