Notices

Rehab,Therapy, and Meds. How is it?

Old 11-28-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab,Therapy, and Meds. How is it?

Something i've been curious about for years.

How does A-1 quality care feel like? I always read about pretty much everyone here going into rehab centers and to be totally honest, i'm quite envious. Must be nice to be in a comfy secure area where your problems are the subject of much medical assistance and expertise. Same for the sessions with the psych docs that are always mentioned here. They seem to be such nice affairs, being able to unburden yourself to someone who is a sympathetic listener and is trained professional to boot. Then having help in readjusting your mind in a better direction? It must be a quite a time. The Meds are also just perfect. Handy, convenient, brain chemistry alteration courtesy of a priceless doctor's subscription. One has to love those pills of joy.

As i mentioned above, i'm curious about what that all feels like?. How does it feel to have actual support and tools to aid in one's recovery? The times in the past i've dealt with community mental health were always a massive case of sheer disappointment at dealing with inept hacks and just being constantly ignored and left to rot on on'e own. I've always wondered what's it like to be really cared for.

If you all don't mind, can you describe what what is felt in such a situation?
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
Something i've been curious about for years.

How does A-1 quality care feel like? I always read about pretty much everyone here going into rehab centers and to be totally honest, i'm quite envious. Must be nice to be in a comfy secure area where your problems are the subject of much medical assistance and expertise. Same for the sessions with the psych docs that are always mentioned here. They seem to be such nice affairs, being able to unburden yourself to someone who is a sympathetic listener and is trained professional to boot. Then having help in readjusting your mind in a better direction? It must be a quite a time. The Meds are also just perfect. Handy, convenient, brain chemistry alteration courtesy of a priceless doctor's subscription. One has to love those pills of joy.

As i mentioned above, i'm curious about what that all feels like?. How does it feel to have actual support and tools to aid in one's recovery? The times in the past i've dealt with community mental health were always a massive case of sheer disappointment at dealing with inept hacks and just being constantly ignored and left to rot on on'e own. I've always wondered what's it like to be really cared for.

If you all don't mind, can you describe what what is felt in such a situation?
Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't use the word "comfy" to describe my experiences in rehab. At one rehab, there were a lot of people that were/are hard-core criminals, either sent there through the legal system, or they were hiding out. Prison mentality was pretty much the norm of the day. The last one I went to was a nightmare. It took an act of god to get a nurse to get off her duff to do anything. I walked around in the same clothes for a week because the nurses, etc., wouldn't take the time to at least give me a gown. I had no soap, toothpaste, deodorant or shampoo. I stunk so bad it was unreal. No caring people to be found. People getting high there all the time. And this was a private rehab center, not low end.
So, the idea of people working in rehab centers just waiting in line to help you in any way they can, ready to listen to your problems, fluff your pillow and do everything they can to make you comfy probably only exists in the very expensive rehab centers on a beach somewhere.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Therapy and meds have been very helpful to me. But I don't call them "pills of joy". I call them "necessary" for good mental health.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How does it feel to have actual support and tools to aid in one's recovery?

well, how does it feel to be at SR?
much support and tools right here

as for your first paragraph, it just sounds disdainful and sarcastic.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Kind of like how it feels to be a member of the SR community. Or a member of many of the other support networks out there. We ALL have access to the tools we need....sometimes it's hard to accept them though.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post

well, how does it feel to be at SR?
much support and tools right here

as for your first paragraph, it just sounds disdainful and sarcastic.
Didn't mean for it to sound that way. Combination of lack of sleep, overwork, and falling apart. Then and now i feel really, really bad Can barely function at work, having to keep from breaking down crying a lot and a very strong desire for suicide keep thinking about the worst in life, Feeling dread, all alone. World is such a cold place.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you drinking now or have you quit? It you quit, how many days/months sober are you? The feelings you are posting really need to be shared with a doctor as well.

Ive never been to rehab. I tried to go to a 3 day detox and was told my insurance wouldnt cover it.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Are you drinking now or have you quit? It you quit, how many days/months sober are you? The feelings you are posting really need to be shared with a doctor as well.

Ive never been to rehab. I tried to go to a 3 day detox and was told my insurance wouldnt cover it.
Been sober over a year. Don't have a doctor or any health provider. Am currently working last few days in a very isolated rural location. work alone a very monotonus job and i can't turn my mind off. how i wish i had a terminal disease. Want to have full checkup when i get out of here.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What are you doing? I'm curious why you can't leave. Wishing for a dreaded disease isn't good. I'm worried for you
Old 11-29-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Carbonized,

I'm thinking of going to a residential rehab, so your thread is timely and pertinent to me and I'll be interested to read more responses (I have a thread of my own on this topic in the Newcomers section, too).

I'm worried for you, too. I hope you, I and everyone can find a way through this. X
Old 11-29-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I work in a resort and it's the end of the season so i'm finished here. Heading to NYC for a few weeks. Am currently planning on full physical. mental much more difficult time/money/quality issues. Can at least score meds on the street if i look but that is only coating over the problems. Want to totally rebuild myself but am feeling that i'm irreparable. life completly wrong, one massive continous error since childhood. too old for options, backed into a corner, Waiting prepared for one last battle. Can vividly imagine the fruits of victory but heavy odds due to shortcomings, inferiority, and damage make it a longshot. Haunted by the past, dreading the future.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I work in a resort and it's the end of the season so i'm finished here. Heading to NYC for a few weeks. Am currently planning on full physical. mental much more difficult time/money/quality issues. Can at least score meds on the street if i look but that is only coating over the problems. Want to totally rebuild myself but am feeling that i'm irreparable. life completly wrong, one massive continous error since childhood. too old for options, backed into a corner, Waiting prepared for one last battle. Can vividly imagine the fruits of victory but heavy odds due to shortcomings, inferiority, and damage make it a longshot. Haunted by the past, dreading the future.
Hey again, Carbonized,

I've no advice to offer, but I just want to say I'm feeling exactly the same as you just now. "Haunted by the past, dreading the future" sums me up, too. Hopefully we can both get through this. I'm still convinced that there is a life out there for us. X
Old 11-29-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

tools and help are useless unless we pick them up or ask for help

you can stay stopped, too
Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Didn't mean for it to sound that way. Combination of lack of sleep, overwork, and falling apart. Then and now i feel really, really bad Can barely function at work, having to keep from breaking down crying a lot and a very strong desire for suicide keep thinking about the worst in life, Feeling dread, all alone. World is such a cold place.

Hello Carbonized. Sorry to hear you're in such a way with yourself. I was suicidal for years back when. Nothing wonderful there. Like you, my head was full of dread and doubts. I too saw the coldness in the world.

You know though, suicide is never a good answer. Even when we might believe it looks like the best alternative, it never is, imo. I suppose there are some circumstances such as terminal illness when dying quickly is better than wasting away or whatever but those are exceptions the way I have come to see things.

You're not alone. Believe it, friend.

You've reached out to others here on SR, and to your credit your straight forward and honest enough to receive back some help, yeah? Taking in help was so difficult for me it was almost I'd rather die on my own than live with being helped. I was wrong, and I'm here to tell you nothing wrong with being helped. Nothing.

I've been to residential rehab. Very helpful. Sure enough nothing is perfect in a rehab, and yet there is a lot to offer those who can see their way to getting themselves a new start.

I'm on the road today on a 7hr drive from Ottawa to Boston. Looks like a lucky break in the weather for the drive down. I'll check into your thread late tonight. Like I said, you're not alone Carbonized.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
tools and help are useless unless we pick them up or ask for help

you can stay stopped, too
tools are fine IF you can find or afford them. Ideally the best place would be a mental hospital but the quality ones are much too expensive for commoners. currently researching CBT, hypnotherapy, tDCS, Flotation therapy and sorting out PUA material. also researching meds to find something that will help keep the dread away.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you should goto the ER. I'm worried for you
Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It seems that in most cases either rich or poor it's what we make of it.

I could and have sobered up in the nice hospital rehab setting.

But, I also sobered up for a while after being locked up in County Mental Health.

Question -- do we really want it ?
Have we made a firm decision to stop drinking ?

MM
Old 11-29-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I think you should goto the ER. I'm worried for you
Closest hospital is 25 miles away and it's a really small town place. anyways i have no way of getting there even if i wanted to go. Just have to make it three more working days and i'm out of here. have to think of way to either blank the mind or distract myself so the dread doesn't get a grip. will look online to see what i can find in NYC. just three more days of work.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

NYC you can find 5 of everything. Check in as much as you can. You don't sound good.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Carbonized,
thanks for talking about where the first paragraph came from.

you're in a tough spot. but NOT too old for options. a lot of rebuilding is a lengthy and slow process, and starting with complete physical where, i hope, you can speak of your mental and emotional anguish sounds like a great first step.
keep sticking around.
anyone to talk with in person about how you are?