Notices

Work

Old 11-27-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Abella25

Work

I'm curious as to how many of you have reached out to co-workers, even your boss regarding your addiction?

I did. Honestly, I am thankful to have them around. I have a co-worker who is over 10 years sober, from alcohol, and who has helped me tremendously in seeking treatment. That and my boss---not an addict---but helping me to find other outlets to stay clean.

I find it best to talk to my co-workers rather than my family. I know it's different for everyone.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish i could, was fired from every job for being on drugs or drunk,

Good luck with it
Old 11-28-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great that you can. In my industry alcoholism and drug abuse is rife but there is a zero tolerance approach so no one fesses up to being an addict or alkie but dodge the bullet and fly under the radar. Suicide is also a major issue but seeking help or talking about mental health issues is stigmatized. I work in the Australian remote area mining industry which is currently in free fall.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I have an employee in the program so he knows but he is the only one who knows. While I drank with many of the folks from there and a lot of them drink like I used to, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling anyone...
Old 11-28-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Abella. Here is a pretty twisted situation for you I'm in mental health... work in the addiction field... do research on it. I never told my colleagues about my alcohol addiction even though in my field addiction and other mental health issues are obviously not stigmatized the way they are in other communities. I did tell them about a nasty major depressive episode I had starting ~2 years ago. I did not want to, but had no choice in the end - it was the kind of depression that renders one almost completely dysfunctional for a while, I was lucky if I could get out of bed and do some minimal things 2-3 times a week for a few months. I did not even tell them then and just tried to hide (the same way I hid with my drinking, well I was drinking through the depression anyway), but it was far too excessive and of course some of my colleagues noticed there was something seriously wrong.

For me, this sharing, and the following support turned out to be one of my most amazing experiences, ever. I don't have a boss now anymore the way I had back then, but it was this boss who first noticed. She's also a mental health scientist so had some clear ideas. The kind of support and practical help I had received from her and a few of my other colleagues back then was unbelievable to me. They did so much of my work for a while and did not push me in any excessive form, it was amazing tolerance. Sadly, I still remained stubborn and did not seek professional help (like a doctor or therapist) for my depression... after ~6 months it started lifting and then I decided to "treat" myself for it using my scientific knowledge, and it worked eventually... but was an unnecessary, Herculian effort really. I would never do that to myself now, there are so many much more efficient professional treatment options for depression. That was my one and only episode luckily so far.

I never sought help for any mental health issue before this, and I had a few... But what it taught me was a sort of life-changing lesson about accepting help (my colleagues' in that case). I believe it was also the initiation of a long process that finally led me to getting sober using a variety of resources.

I also experienced the other side of it. There have been a few colleagues of mine confiding in me and sharing with me their mental health problems. One of this was a student who also had alcohol addiction and depression... she ended up taking >3 months off from work to focus on her recovery, all before I did myself! After her return and over a year of hard work, she finally graduated as one of the most successful students I'd worked with back in the spring. She just visited us briefly this week and is still doing very well.

These are some of my stories.

Now in general, I would still advise anyone to be extra careful about sharing addiction problems with coworkers. If you are in an industry where people accept this and are willing to help, may be good. But I would not advertise it more than with people you really trust and I would keep it at minimum.

Yeah I am also much more comfortable talking about these things with people from my field than my family members who have no clue (and I don't have much of a family I keep in touch with anyway except my elderly father), but it always involves some risk. Up to everyone to decide. I hope all goes well for you
Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Only once have i admitted to having a problem with alcohol and no doubt it became a factor in my getting fired a while later.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No way for me. Addiction is a disease and I work for a group of doctors, BUT it is still a taboo subject. Im glad you have that support. its really important. My thing is ...people are judgmental by nature. Any "off day" at work will surely be misconstrued as "she must be drinking again" I learned the hard way about people's empathy from my last attempts at recovery.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would never admit to having an issue with alcohol at work and I work for the most protected group of unionized workers in my country.
The stigma exists. It's still a career killer.
I think it's personal now at this point as my job is not affected in any negative way by my sobriety, the opposite in fact.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I shutter at the thought...No way.

The first AA meeting I went to (massively hungover) there was an upper level director from my division there. Of course, he said he wouldn't tell anyone, but you never know. I sure wish he hadn't been there...
Old 11-28-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people have had bad experiences from workplace disclosure.
It's something I'd think very carefully about.

Right or not, there's a stigma about addiction - & once it's out there, it's out there for good.

D
Old 11-28-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would advise someone not to air something like addiction out to coworkers. After all the 'sick' days and showing up to work still drunk once I had to be honest with my boss and told him I had a drinking problem.. I was lucky in that he was very understanding and gave me the 'get help' or 'get out' option rather than just giving me the boot. I got help and I'm doing much better now.
Most of my co workers were able to put 2 and 2 together and figured out I had a drinking problem. No one has given me any issues except one. I made a post about this in the new comers forum today. Unfortunately there will be people that may seize the opportunity to use 'your weakness' as a means to throw you under the bus or those who think addicts and alcoholics are just low moral, weak willed people which we all know is far from true.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think a lot depends on the situation. If boss/coworkers already know something is wrong, it CAN be to one's advantage to disclose. But it's certainly nothing to do hastily.

In AA, it's the sort of thing one would be wise to bounce off a sponsor. For someone not in AA, discussing it with sober people that you trust, first, would be a good idea.

I didn't share my recovery because I had a somewhat sensitive job. I HAD been talked to by a couple of highers-up who suspected I had an alcohol problem (which, of course, I denied at the time). I was not comfortable with disclosing it once I got sober, but I don't think there would have been any negative repercussions. Except that people DO talk, and as Dee said, not everyone would be understanding or supportive. So I never told people at work straight out, although a few people did notice and comment on the fact that I no longer drank at work events. I just said, "I decided it wasn't good for me," and left it at that.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Once it is out that is it.

The way the Internet of things is today so much can be taken out of context in a simple facebook post or share can destroy a life with the click of a button.

Sharing this information could make its way in places online you might never expect and I would suggest to proceed with caution.

That is why I love this site. We are your support group and almost no way for what is said in here to get linked to real life unless you want that to happen.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would not share it any more than I would other personal aspects of my life. I'm there to work, not air my laundry.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The only jobs in the workplace over here in Australia that you can get away with alcoholism is if you are a Concretor or you are self employed .

i use to work in the Concreting/fencing/landscape industry and all drunk on the job by 11am ... Its how alot of my drinking started, its really crazy!

Australia has a problem like america with alcoholism.

Scary
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by azza88 View Post
The only jobs in the workplace over here in Australia that you can get away with alcoholism is if you are a Concretor or you are self employed . i use to work in the Concreting/fencing/landscape industry and all drunk on the job by 11am ... Its how alot of my drinking started, its really crazy! Australia has a problem like america with alcoholism. Scary
Yeah I worked as a builders laborer in the 80's and remember the liquid lunches down at the pub. Fortunately OHS laws have mostly stamped it out. Construction is still far behind in some areas though. Work hard, play hard. Mining is zero tolerance. Here it's daily testing. When I was drinking I had it down to a fine art on how to get pissed every night and still blow 0.00 in the morning. Still made me a ball of stress and fear though.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
Yeah I worked as a builders laborer in the 80's and remember the liquid lunches down at the pub. Fortunately OHS laws have mostly stamped it out. Construction is still far behind in some areas though. Work hard, play hard. Mining is zero tolerance. Here it's daily testing. When I was drinking I had it down to a fine art on how to get pissed every night and still blow 0.00 in the morning. Still made me a ball of stress and fear though.
Yep your spot on, mining is drug tested so no messing around there.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Abella, as comfortable as you feel in your workplace, please be careful with what you share. Sometimes people don't have your best interests at heart. But- even tho I say that, I have shared a bit of my own story with a couple of my employees as it has come up. I have found as I get more solidly sober, my guardedness has become cumbersome. Or maybe I just don't care what people think or say about me anymore . One of my very long term employees has reached out to me, and I feel honored that she trusts me with her alcoholism fears.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Everybody feels differently about coming out in the workplace about alcoholism...for me you could not pay me to do it....Someone that I feel safe and trust long term....perhaps but only if they had become a close friend.
The boss, not a chance.....
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No, not me.

Who would want an alcoholic working so closely with their children? I believe I have identified a few other alcoholic teachers up here (It's a fairly small place when it comes to my profession) but nobody tells. Glad to see you posting abela. I've slipped up the last couple of days (lonely weekend nights, I chose poorly) but back on wagon today, with my last hospital visit (on a Monday, missed work and had to 'amend' my explanation to the school) firmly etched in my mind.