Notices

Job Interview Tomorrow

Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jennie,

Thinking of you and I hope the interview went well. I get that you will be kind of playing it by ear regarding your background, but I'm sure you will make the appropriate decision.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well... I'm back.

My gut instinct says I didn't get it. And a pretty good indicator is that she encouraged me to apply to other positions in the future. Lol. I guess it doesn't get more blatant than that.

It was weird. I was approached by an informally dressed lady, she didn't offer to shake hands, it was not very formal at all. Which put me at ease. However, I never got the feeling we connected. And I felt coldness from her, which might just be a personality thing. So I tried to get over it. I made great eye contact most of the time. We hardly smiled at all. But she seemed nice enough.

I tripped on a raised surface on the way out. Stupid me. I laughed it off but cringed, oh well. It was a terribly placed ramp in a doorway.

She never shook my hand, and just turned away from me to greet the next candidate. I couldn't help but notice the other candidate was greeted more warmly than I was. And I won't give any theories on this, as it was would be presumptuous. But it was as if she was greeting a long lost friend, and totally forgot I was standing there... so I said, "It was very nice to meet you. Thanks for your time." She glanced back at me and pretty much mumbled the same.

I am probably not what they are looking for and that's ok. It won't stop me from getting into grad school. On to the next job. I can't let this shake me at all. I have been through way too much stuff in my life to let this even come close to getting under my skin.

So... I'm getting a GRE study guide today and moving forward with my plans.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I painted broad strokes about past challenges and things that might have distracted me from pursuing my career in Psychology as originally planned. I hinted that there were personal and familial challenges that I've had to overcome, but never mentioned any details.

I was very, very clear about continuing my education, the Masters and PhD, and yet I didn't pinpoint whether I wanted to do Clinical, Experimental, or Neuropsychology. I even mentioned a MSW program here at the local university. I think she understood I'm making a big career change, but I'm thinking I'm just not fit for this particular hands on supervisory position. And that's ok.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

You're very inspiring ! I love your attitude!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks OklaBH

Feeling less than inspired or inspiring at the moment... but hey, what can ya do?? Lol. I tried. I feel good about at least trying. I was qualified on paper, but I'm thinking she had a certain personality type in mind, and maybe it's just not me. She even mentioned the person I'd be replacing is really tough to replace. I took that as... well, she was some superstar and I wouldn't come close.

I don't do interviews that well, and I'm aware of this. But it took nerve to even go in there and attempt it, considering my professional background and the glaring deficiencies.

I'm guessing they don't want someone who is using the job to get a feel for the field. I had to be honest though.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

keep being yourself, when the time is right, it will happen
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It's likely she knew who she was going to hire before the position was posted. It's difficult to walk into a supervisory position as an unknown. Consider it interviewing experience for the job that is right for you. One door closes, another opens... Sounds like you have a great attitude. What's right for you will come to you.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I felt like a total nerd today... I had to wear my glasses because I'm waiting on my contacts in the mail (lost my last pair to the bathroom floor and couldn't recover them), and I'm wearing braces on my teeth. I really can't believe I walked in with confidence considering this. Lol.

It truly wasn't an accurate portrayal of what I typically look like. It's actually comical A 30-something wearing nerdy glasses and braces.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
learning to live

Practice run for the next one

..exactly what Bernie said too. Being a prospective employee right now, myself, it is a tough market.

Keep going and don't get discouraged

....that cold lady was probably taken aback by your beauty Cant have a lady working here that is more beautiful than me

SMILE!!! Great job today and again you will find what you are looking for soon, this just wasn't it
Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Look at it as great experience for your next interview, Jennie.

Keep your chin up and be proud of yourself.... good things are headed your way!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

SJ, stop over analyzing yourself.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
SJ, stop over analyzing yourself.
Guess it's my way of defusing I overanalyze most anything. Lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm going in to volunteer in the morning at the women's shelter. That'll help me get out of this small funk.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

oh, you're debriefing
Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Perhaps some sort of informal self debriefing, yeah.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

You know that I overanalyze, too.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hey! What's wrong with glasses? Also, what happened to the smileys? I'm gonna guess that the one I want is called "glasses" :...if it isn't, you'll see I tried.

Seriously, there is no sense in using your physical appearance as the reason you didn't get the job. I agree, this was a practice interview.

I have to start getting serious about interviewing, too. I don't like it either. I'm old - not going to work in my favor. I've been off work nearly eight years. Not going to work in my favor. I believe there is a job for me. There's one for you, too.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

p.s. and it was totally your shoes.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Seriously, Jennie. You are on to something great and you know it. Keep......
Old 11-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, if your perception of the interview is correct, it sounds like she/they may have had someone in mind for the position all along. Perhaps the interviewing was more of a formality than anything else. Anyways, it sounds like you did great and let them know who you were and your future goals.