Notices

Birthday Cards

Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday Cards

As an Alcoholic I would always wonder if anyone around me had caught on to my problem with drink. I tried to hide it as best as I could. However every Birthday, the Birthday Cards would arrive in the post and the majority of them would have an alcohol theme to them. I used to hate it, is this what everyone just saw of me, someone who like his drink. Anyway this year was the first time ever I actually got normal cards with no alcohol references … I was so happy, it felt like I was finally getting there!!

Last night I got home quite late and my daughter drew a picture for me. She said Dad this is what you need after a long day at work … For a second I panicked … please don’t let it be a picture of a beer. As she presented it to me, it was a beautiful mug of tea. I was so happy, I don’t want my children to think I’m a drunk, at it seems as though they don’t!
Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me too. Oh and gifts were always drinking paraphanalia . Freaking sad
Old 11-21-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I had a guy who had not seen me in a while make a reference to me as "big guy" (i had los a ton of weight since he last saw me) so I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him to death. Even if i was still that big guy how friggen RUDE! Others get this deer in the headlights look when they see me now like Oh I better watch my mouth etc..

Then there are others who I never thought new I drank a lot come out of the wood work and ask did I have to quit drinking in order to loose weight and here I had no idea they new just how much i drank etc.. I guess I didnt hide it all that well.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I had a guy who had not seen me in a while make a reference to me as "big guy" (i had los a ton of weight since he last saw me) so I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him to death. Even if i was still that big guy how friggen RUDE! Others get this deer in the headlights look when they see me now like Oh I better watch my mouth etc..

Then there are others who I never thought new I drank a lot come out of the wood work and ask did I have to quit drinking in order to loose weight and here I had no idea they new just how much i drank etc.. I guess I didnt hide it all that well.
That reminded me of a chap I saw after several years. The first thing he said to me when we met again was about my weight. I just turned around to him and said that if you had nothing positive to say it's best to just stay quite ... he started squealing after that. Some people just don't know sometimes, they have verbal diarrhoea and find they need to fill the void (silence) with waffle. There was nothing stopping me telling him that he was still the same ugly F@ck from when I last saw him ... but I felt I was better than that
Old 11-22-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Oh and gifts were always drinking paraphernalia.
Ditto.

From my friends, my brother and even my mother- who I am assuming did not realize the depth of my problem, but only how much i enjoyed the drink.

Lusher