Notices

How did you get through withdrawals?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you get through withdrawals?

I don't want to go through medical leave with the busy environment I'm in... times feel too important right now. Gotta get certain things accomplished. 3 weeks left & everything will be done... I plan to get in-patient by winter vacation. Really sad that I can't celebrate Christmas and New Years with family, but what I'm asking is...

If you guys dealt with withdrawal symptoms in the past, did you all do anything other than detox? I know I have to do it before treatment, but.... I could use some advice. I really want to quit for good, without any sort of complications. The symptoms I experience now are tough and my parents have to buy a small quantity for me and they feel heartbroken over it. They keep telling me that they feel like they're "horrible people" and barely speak to me. I keep telling them that it's not the case, but they keep putting themselves down anyway!

I live with my parents right now (I'm 25). I told them it's "too dangerous" due to my severe withdrawal symptoms in order for me to live alone. They have a hard time understanding my addiction, even though I explain it to them a lot. i'm thinking that I have to come up with lots of anologies/metaphors in order for them to understand...

Anyway, the withdrawal symptoms, not fun... unpleasant... any advice?

Please, anyone out there, any advice would be appreciated so much...
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi erJoy

the best thing you can do - the very best thing - is see a Dr.

Noone can make you take time off work is that's not an option, but it's really good to get some professional advice. It's far better than trying to taper.

I'm glad you're not alone...if you feel concerned or unwell do seek medical help.

D
Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For one, withdrawal from alcohol should be done in a medical detox facility. A person can die withdrawing from alcohol. This happens everyday, people die from it all the time!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Yep consult a dr
Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long straight have you been drinking?

I used to drink no more than 3 days straight because that was all I could handle and survive the hangover. I mean drinking hard for 3 days.

I usually only did 2 straight. I was the drunk who nailed the beer and then stopped drinking and detoxed before i did it again.

The worst hangovers I had were from vodka so I stayed away from it... but damn did I almost feel like I was dying the next day hangover from vodka this last time. Scared me a bit which might be why i quit again.

I was at a highway safety class about 4 years ago and the teacher said a young man came through one day and did his best to stay sober for the class... and he was sober. But the poor kid knelt over and died right there man. Yes he died from quitting cold turkey because he needed to be sober for the class from a dui.

if you have been on alcohol awhile and fear quitting go see a doc.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tes

If you have insurance, I would recommend an extended stay rehab if you think that you are high risk of a relapse not long after release from a detox, however those are not cheap. If you think that you need to get detoxed right away however, go to the ER and just tell them you need detox. Even without insurance they will help you. You should get transferred to a detox facility where they will likely give you Librium and/or Ativan or something similar and vitamins to help you with the detox process. They also need to keep your blood pressure under control. Drinking heavily will cause it to go sky high which and lead to serious problems. After about a week or 2 they will have you stabilized and might give you options on what to do next.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was drinking about 12 units a day of alcohol. I went through daily withdrawals (sweating, anxiety, heart palpitations) at work and weekends of course. Nothing to where I couldn't minimally function but I felt like I was going to have a heart attack all the time. When I stopped they did not get any worse than they were every day when I was drinking so it was no big surprise. I just felt on the verge of a panic attack for a few days but the only difference was that I did not drink at night. I just waited them out hour by hour and minute by minute. I never want to go through that again.

By the time I finally stopped I was a pro at going through withdrawals. It was my norm rather than the exception.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.
When I tried to become sober I disliked certain things because the great I am really knew it all! As a result it took 2 more years of pain and misery to get the message from the experts.
It was impressed upon me that self honesty about my drinking was #1 followed by accepting the fact that I cannot drink alcohol in safety.
Then it was explained that I needed to get sober for myself! Not my job, school, family or other concocted reasons. It’s often called first things first for a reason.
Unfortunately getting and living sober is work and requires change within us but the result is a huge gift to be cherished.

BE WELL
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The doctor can at least give you meds so you can detox at home.

The funny thing is that I wasn't trying to quit when I had my first withdrawal. I was just taking my usual one or two days off from drinking. It was scary. I felt like I was dying! The heart palpitations, anxiety, fatigue...I mean, I had never had a "sleep disturbance" until I went through withdrawal. It's basically something like...you're sleeping or dreaming, when your heart suddenly starts racing and it wakes you up.

Once I figured out that those symptoms were withdrawals, I went through at least 5 or 6 tries half-heartedly trying to quit. I mean, it was to the point where I knew that I would withdraw the next day after drinking, but I did it anyway. And to me, it feels like being on the verge of death.

When I decided to finally and honestly try to quit, instead of trying to "manage" it, the withdrawals were bad for a couple of weeks. The first few days are the worst. Heart racing alot, hot and cold flashes, upset stomach, puking, anxiety, fatigue... After that, things get better, but you still might have sleep disturbances and night sweats.

Now that I am almost 2 months sober, I can tell you that I am thinking less about drinking. The only kind of memories I have of it are black outs, withdrawals, and the feeling of shame. Honestly, the withdrawals are why I will never want to drink again.

Just really try to relax and focus on getting through it to the other side. You gotta walk out of the fire to get to the other side. You will feel so much better when it is all over!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

As the good advice above says always see a doctor

Good luck & nice to meet you
Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I saw my doctor and was honest with him.
I pretended I had the flu and took a week off work. In many ways I did have the flu.
I drank as much water as I did wine, so like 15 glasses a day. I always had a non alcoholic drink in my hand.
I took in an enormous amount a sugar from candy to compensate for booze.
Epson salts, vitamin B.
I opened my mind to recovery and dispelled all obstacles as excuses.
I researched success. It leaves a clear trail.
I hope you find sobriety and it takes you.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Doctor. Period.

I tried detoxing from booze and benzos on my own. After two weeks I ended up in the hospital.

How did I deal with withdrawal? Three days in four-point restraints.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I knew there was no way I, nor my wife, could handle my withdrawal at home. I went to the hospital, and was sent from there to a no-cost detox program where I stayed a week.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See a doctor. Even if you goto an urgent care / minor emergency. It took me 3 years of back and forth to get sober. My doctor saved my life
Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm in the "see the doctor" camp. I detoxed at home but it wasn't pleasant and it isn't recommended.

It really isn't fair to your parents to put them in charge of sustaining your addiction until you're ready to take time off. Detoxing only takes a few days--three days to a week, depending. With some medical help/monitoring you might only have to miss a couple of days of work. You can still do in-patient to get on really solid ground in a few weeks. In the meantime, you could attend AA meetings and get support here.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Really work your recovery program. Find spirituality and be committed to making it the first 90 days any way you can. 90 meetings in 90 days if you have to.

Once you get to 90 or 100 days, you should see a big difference!

I'm no docitor, nor did I consult one, but personally I found making sure I was getting proper nutrition was important. I look vitamin b 12, some vitamin d, GABA was very effective for me to calm the nerves in the first 30 days.

But most importantly, developing spirituality, gratitude, a strong network, either AA or here, or your friends. Educate yourself, learn. Write a gratitude list every day- 3 things you are grateful for.

Above all, don't drink or take benzos. if you are having a craving , call a person you met in AA, or post here. But seriously, you have to be dedicated to your recovery.

Read the AA 12 promises. They are true!

Peace
Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the best way to deal with withdrawals is do things that you like or love, entertain yourself for the time being, youll be suprised that days are passing and you arent drinking anymore. for example, watching movie, making art, etc.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As I went through withdrawals which I would describe as medium level, no hallucinations or dt's, I kept reminding myself that I would never have to feel that way again. I felt pretty pretty crappy for a few weeks but I knew that it wouldn't last forever.

My withdrawals were mostly feeling extremely lethargic, elevated blood pressure and heart rate, anxiousness, irritability, and insomnia. Oh, and excessive perspiration. I had a short period of sobriety of about two weeks in May. I drank once heavily, after those two weeks, only one night and I had to start the entire detox process over again. It was as if I had never been sober for those two weeks. It was hell. I believe it is called "kindling."
Old 11-29-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me, I entered a rehab facility
thru a family intervention. During
my 28 day in stay, my choice, I
sweated out all the toxins and poisons
of alcohol with daily recreational
activities, exercises, rest, good
nutrition and important information
about by addiction and its affects
on my own body mind and soul.

That was 24 yrs ago as I continue