Notices

What Is, Is

Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Is, Is

I heard a Buddhist speaker say that all of mans problems are due to the fact that he can't accept that what is, is. The drive to change ones thoughts, feelings, actions and just about everything else seems to be built into mankind. Meditation is about the abilit to sit quietly with ones thoughts or focus on the breath or whatever. The mind doesn't always go along with that plan and wants to play in the past, future, or just bring up any random thought that comes to the surface. This makes me wonder how much control we really have over the mind.

Drinking, drug use and all addictions are just unhealthy manifestations of the same drive to change the way we feel. We can take that drive and switch it over to healthier things like recovery, spirituality, exercise, work, self improvement or a million and one other things. Many people seem to have the all or nothing at all type of thinking stuck in overdrive. Why do you think it's so hard for some of us to switch that gear from overdrive back to normal and is this always a good or bad thing?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Possibly because we are addicted to our own thinking?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

I think it's the natural built in anxiety some of us have... What you're pointing out makes me think of The Serenity Prayer- I was thinking just last night at an AA meeting about how true that is, and how important being able to just ''be'' really is- I am really glad you brought this up, as it has been on my mind a lot lately.. I think that is perhaps the key to happiness in general.. not 'fighting' our thoughts and circumstances, and practicing a certain degree of healthy acceptance and faith in a Higher Power to work things out on our behalf- The few little times I have actually put this into practice, I felt an immediate lifting of my worries and fears..and I am legendary at worrying
Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I heard a Buddhist speaker say that all of mans problems are due to the fact that he can't accept that what is, is. The drive to change ones thoughts, feelings, actions and just about everything else seems to be built into mankind.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-quality.html
Old 11-20-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

we think too much.

A common thought that goes through my mind is.

What is, is good enough.
or
What IS good enough?

what is is always good enough but we fail to see it that way. and we have to askt hen well what is good enough? what would be good enough? that is an open ended answer it will never be good enough with how we can think it.

I'm finding its better to think what is, is good enough. If i stay grounded in that line of thought despite my circumstances i'm typically happiest.

numerous times I've read and been told STOP! STOP the incesant thinking the what if games in your head. STOP it all and just be content with what is!

so when you seem to get carried away its a STOP moment come back to what is where things are just fine so long as you can simply see it that way.

all easier said then done and i have my moments.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
numerous times I've read and been told STOP! STOP the incesant thinking the what if games in your head. STOP it all and just be content with what is!
STUDENT: "What part of man's thinking is delusional?"

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: "That's easy question to answer - All of it!"
Old 11-20-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

STUDENT: "What part of man's thinking is delusional?"

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: "That's easy question to answer - All of it!"

yep
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a real big problem with this.

I sure as hell will never accept things as they are. Here is where i am, there is where i was. There is where i want to be. Full stop. You think i went through the hell of withdrawal to devote myself to some hippy dippy bull!$%t?

I'm ready and set to put a bullet in my head rather than settle for "acceptance" of being a no account loser.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post

I sure as hell will never accept things as they are. Here is where i am, there is where i was. There is where i want to be. Full stop. You think i went through the hell of withdrawal to devote myself to some hippy dippy bull!$%t?

I'm ready and set to put a bullet in my head rather than settle for "acceptance" of being a no account loser.

Carbonized, people always bring that up to every speaker I have heard try to explain "What is, is". They always say it's a misinterpretation of the meaning, that it doesn't mean you stop trying to improve, work, education and all of that. It means the basis of the mental unrest isn't the particular issue but more ones inability to accept (whatever the issue happens to be).
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If I'm angry the world is an angry place.

As within so without

As Yoda said to Luke.

"your weapons, you will not need them"
Old 11-21-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I have a friend of mine who has that same line of reasoning. I used to have that same line of reasoning myself.

My friend HATES the statement "it is what it is" He will say BS no it aint it is what i'm gonna make it be etc.. He does not want to settle he wants to keep working for his goals and keep pushing ahead etc..

I too used to be that same way but it drove me friggen nuts!

Now there is nothing wrong with having goals and expectations. But right now in this moment while your ead this it simply is what it is.

I think the difference is what is is right now in this moment. thats where the focus is. Not on what can be or what we want it to be or what it was etc...

I try to be better about acceptance. In my case if i'm not it drives me up the wazzooo. Sure I dont have to accept the things i can change and have some control over if I do not want too. But thats that are and I have no control over its easier to not fight it and just go with the flow. For me anyhow
Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I try to be better about acceptance. In my case if i'm not it drives me up the wazzooo. Sure I dont have to accept the things i can change and have some control over if I do not want too. But thats that are and I have no control over its easier to not fight it and just go with the flow.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...etachment.html