Notices

"Alcoholic Mind"

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Alcoholic Mind"

I often hear the term "Alcoholic Mind" used on the forum. What does that term mean to you if anything? In my drinking days I associated alcohol with fun and good times, made a lot of rash decisions and used alcohol as a solution to problems it only made worse. In retrospect I think it affected my decision making process in a fairly substantial way. What say you guys to the term alcholic mind or alcoholic thinking?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I think is lot of different types of addict. For Cow, is very much brain chemistry thing. Is not like situations or temptations or emotional upsets that cause mind to start jabbering to self about using. Is always mania driven, usual by ingestion of any sort of even very mild stimulant.

However, is some times, before I get out of bed in morning, when I meditating and trying to steel self up for day and commit to sobriety no matter what occur, that when I hear addict voice come in. It say, "Hey, but, if you does get catastrophic depress again, would not be so bad to have little caffeine, you know, just to save you self..."

It sound oh so reasonable, does it not? Even though hundred of times I smash all coffee cup with hammer and throw out all cream and Splenda and vow I never touch caffeine again cuz it always sure path to booze and total destruction. But somehow, within days of agonizing episode, thought is there again, no matter how many excruciating cycle of this I go through. That is addict mind.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I made a lot of rash decisions and used alcohol as a solution to problems it only made worse. In retrospect I think it affected my decision making process in a fairly substantial way. What say you guys to the term alcholic mind or alcoholic thinking?

Hi.
You said a mouthful right there.

I can add that for me alcohol made too many decisions for me like when to stop a session, driving while, extremely poor relationships, very $ costly, took an “I don’t care” attitude, missed opportunities and on and on.

BUT it did make me feel miserable, uncaring, untrustworthy, unreliable, along with very low selfrespect and guilt.
If I pick up that will all return in a heartbeat.

BE WELL
Old 11-16-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my opinion,it's just another term for "addicted mind".
Common sense,and normal thinking take a back seat when it comes to feeding an addiction.

Fred
Old 11-16-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholics indulge in the effects of alcohol within their flesh. Which means they can use alcohol as an energy source and a mind altering substance. They can use it in place of food and to have something in their stomach. Socially they can use it to become more involved with people around them as an entertainment. Or of course it can be used to escape a certain trouble on ones mind.

I do wonder if many alcoholics hate the world we live in. Do they not like the social boundaries we have to be aware of? Is breaking these boundaries a way of living the rebel life? Is being a drunkard the ultimate way to be rebellious? If so then rebellious against who?

In my opinion there is no different chemical make up of an alcoholic and non-alcoholic. And it's the choice of the individual what life they desire to lead - will it be a good boy and fit in seamlessly with society or will they decide to be a rebel and make their own rules?

The outcome of being an alcoholic is almost always bad but some get rich from it in the beginning. Look at the goofy characters on Saturday Night Live back in the day. Look at Rock Stars, and comedians like Rodney Dangerfield who subsequently said in his later life alcohol is terrible for the body because he lived it and knew.

But for the general drunkard who gains nothing from it it's a mystery to me why he would continue on with it when the reward is ill health and less money. I can only think there is an underlying depression and desperation in the soul which would lead one to continue on a destructive path even when the person knows they are dying from alcohol.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Having your brain so damaged by the toxic effects of heavy drinking that you couldn't fight your way out of wet paper bag. Not being able to make the connections necessary to change the situation. Having no clue what is really going on around you and not being able to relate. Being so sure of something that you can't imagine that you are wrong.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Mind: A mind entering phase one that does not allow itself to function to a healthy level, yet the next step - phase two- you learn techniques to control this behavior.

If needed, you can go back to phase one and receive another chance
Old 11-16-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

for me i have more in common with alcohilcs who do not think or act like normal grown up adults

those that try every trick in the book to get there own way on things, those who are ultra cunning and super intelligent in how to get a drink and get out of trouble are the types of alcoholic i am like

and to think all my life i have been that way sober or drunk ? i always blamed the drink for how i was but that was just the outrageous things i did in drink when totaly legless drunk
i honestly belived if i could stop drinking i would be an ok guy and to a point i am as i certainly dont end up in police cells when i am sober i have never done anything wrong in my life sober that would warrent court action or embarrassments

but i totaly understand how much deeper the problem really is for me and who i am as a person
i have to change my thinking, how i react to things, how to learn to be kind to people without trying to get something from it

as my thinking is alcoholic thinking i have been born with it and live my whole life with it as i can look back to how i was a child and how i always got my own way or there would be hell to pay if i didnt somewhere along the line

kids grow out of it having tantrums etc but for me it was only when i heard other aa members talk about themselves so honestly and admiting what there really like to live with at home etc that i started to see how much i had been painting a fake face to the world of who i really am

its the thinking not just about picking up a drink that has to be smashed, i am a human being that suffers from alcoholism the ism part of things comes clear to us but it takes time first and a lot of hurtful growing up.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My alcoholic mind revolved around a reward cycle--if I do something that needs to be done I'll reward myself with a drink and/or a smoke. It led me to always reaching for something that I couldn't quite have and confusing my mind. Really, a good drunk is more of a punishment than a reward now that I think about it with a healing mind. Who rewards themselves with a drunken episode and a hangover? Someone with an alcoholic mind, of course!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Probably more than anything, to me it means a mind so extremely obsessed with alcohol that it prioritizes drinking over everything else, not minding how it'll compromise other areas of life and destroy many healthy, meaningful thought processes and motivations. Damaged decision making also, definitely.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I look back on it the obsession part was more like an overpowering need to change the way I felt. Not really to party and have a good time but so much more to not feel that bad.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

I think there is 2 aspects of it for me. One is the downward spiral stuff. someting doesnt go my way and i can very easily get sent downward to a pit of dispair where i'll sit for days weeks eyars ? this will eventually lead to some form of substance starting with booze to ease the pain.

But then there is the other aspect. The self destructive voice. The one that sets me up for the fall. The one that tells me its ok to blow off the mortgage and run a little late. Its ok press your luck a little you'll get away it. THe one that says So what if you dont have enough to pay the light bill you can live in the dark forever. So what if you loose the house etc..

That second one can be sneaky while it might mean well and might help me to not worry it can also be the setup for the next great big fall if i'm not careful.

Its like I can subconciously self sabatoge myself.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I think there is 2 aspects of it for me. One is the downward spiral stuff. someting doesnt go my way and i can very easily get sent downward to a pit of dispair where i'll sit for days weeks eyars ? this will eventually lead to some form of substance starting with booze to ease the pain.

But then there is the other aspect. The self destructive voice. The one that sets me up for the fall. The one that tells me its ok to blow off the mortgage and run a little late. Its ok press your luck a little you'll get away it. THe one that says So what if you dont have enough to pay the light bill you can live in the dark forever. So what if you loose the house etc..

That second one can be sneaky while it might mean well and might help me to not worry it can also be the setup for the next great big fall if i'm not careful.

Its like I can subconciously self sabatoge myself.
It's amazing how us drunks go through the same scary place as one another.

Alcohol is a self destructive practice for sure.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Probably more than anything, to me it means a mind so extremely obsessed with alcohol that it prioritizes drinking over everything else, not minding how it'll compromise other areas of life and destroy many healthy, meaningful thought processes and motivations. Damaged decision making also, definitely.
This is a great definition but I would add something about the sober alcoholic with the alcholic mind, perhaps like this;

Probably more than anything, to me it means a mind so extremely obsessed with alcohol that it prioritizes drinking or, being dry at the time, fear of drinking, over everything else, not minding how it'll compromise other areas of life and destroy many healthy, meaningful thought processes and motivations. Damaged decision making also, definitely.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcoholic mind = addicted to yeast sh*t which is alcohol. Seems so fitting our lives go to sh*t consuming sh*t.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think "alcoholic thinking" includes procrastinating, dodging responsibilities, and living in tomorrow. I think it also includes rationalizing half-a**ing our way through life and telling ourselves we'll "do better tomorrow." I have been sober for four months.

Examples of "alcoholic thinking" in my life are:

1. Tossing that empty coffee cup in my drink holder onto the floor in the back of my car instead of throwing it away when I am done. "I'll get it tomorrow." There are about ten cups on the floor of my car!

2. Spending too much money on eating out everyday rather than saving money.

3. Paying bills online at 8:55 pacific time because they are due THAT DAY at midnight eastern.

4. Snoozing my alarm seven times rather than being responsible and just getting up.

5. Wanting to lose weight but eating that donut and saying "I'll start tomorrow" and then eating a donut tomorrow.

6. Doing everything last-minute.

7. Not returning library books on time!

8. Eating past the point of being full.

9. Going to bed too late and cursing at myself in the morning.

10. Napping everyday after work, knowing it'll be hard to fall asleep that night.

11. Leaving recycle at street for four days!

12. Sleeping in til noon on Saturdays. Lol!

Basically, I need to get my s##t together. I am an educated working professional but kinda sloppy in some aspects of my life. Irresponsible actually. I believe this is my "alcoholic thinking."

I think impulsivity is a big part of "alcoholic thinking."
Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
In my opinion,it's just another term for "addicted mind".
Common sense,and normal thinking take a back seat when it comes to feeding an addiction.

Fred
This.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
And this.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You know those lab rats that have been conditioned to press a lever to get a reward, and they just sit there day and night pressing that lever over and over and over again? Those poor little guys have a rodent model of the alcoholic mind...
Old 11-16-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I think "alcoholic thinking" includes procrastinating, dodging responsibilities, and living in tomorrow. I think it also includes rationalizing half-a**ing our way through life and telling ourselves we'll "do better tomorrow." I have been sober for four months.

Examples of "alcoholic thinking" in my life are:

1. Tossing that empty coffee cup in my drink holder onto the floor in the back of my car instead of throwing it away when I am done. "I'll get it tomorrow." There are about ten cups on the floor of my car!

3. Paying bills online at 8:55 pacific time because they are due THAT DAY at midnight eastern.

4. Snoozing my alarm seven times rather than being responsible and just getting up.

5. Wanting to lose weight but eating that donut and saying "I'll start tomorrow" and then eating a donut tomorrow.

10. Napping everyday after work, knowing it'll be hard to fall asleep that night.

Basically, I need to get my s##t together. I am an educated working professional but kinda sloppy in some aspects of my life. Irresponsible actually. I believe this is my "alcoholic thinking."

I think impulsivity is a big part of "alcoholic thinking."

Just some thoughts...

(That's only a problem when you can no longer see out the rear window)

(Hey, you only live once!)

(You still had 3 hours and 5 minutes, no worries!)

(Why do you think they make snooze buttons)

(So! Do it the day after tomorrow!)

(That's better than last second, is it not!)

(Return them, I thought you could keep those, maybe that's why they send me all those letters that I never opened)

(Wasting food is a sin!!!)

(If you don't go to bed at all you will already be up!)

(Skip work then you can nap all day!)

(Nothing wrong with getting a head start!)

(That's why they make Saturdays, plus you don't have to make breakfast that day!)