Notices

Off the wagon

Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off the wagon

Well I've well and truley gone the wrong way I'm losing control and drinking 2 bottles of wine a day and more! What the hell do I do :-(
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey sapphire1981-

Sorry to hear that you've taken a step backwards. That does not mean that you can't still fight this, and move forward again. As I'm sure you know, this is a progressive condition.

It's especially tough in the beginning, especially if you did not have some type of a plan. I think we all need something to take the place of alcohol, which might mean to reinvent one's self. It's tough, I know.

HERE'S a link to some tips that may offer some help.

Lusher
Old 10-31-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bumps in the road in the beginning are quite common, sapphire. Don't give up. Start again.

What kind of support do you have besides SR - anything face to face? Have you tried AVRT?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Make a plan to stop drinking
Old 10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For me the first step was to understand that I didn't need to continue drinking, and that I could quit drinking for good. Then I quit.

We all have reasons to quit drinking, it makes us sick physically and mentally, we make bad decisions while drinking, it puts us at risk of losing our job or killing someone with a car, and so on. None of that was enough to make me quit drinking. It wasn't until I understood that I had to be sober in order to have things I wanted that I was able to quit.

Do you have a reason to be sober?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, the first thing you should do, if you truly want to get sober, is to stop drinking.
Easier said than done, I know, I was a chronic relapse for years. Many years.
It finally took wanting to be sober than drunk
I was so tired of the days after. The guilt, remorse and anxiety.
Having a plan is a good idea. But I needed more-willingness and an open mind. Drinking had long ago lost the fun for me. I drank to get drunk. And I stayed that way daily for ten years.
You can do it. Think of how you'll feel if you want to drink. You never have to feel that way again.
Best to you and hang in there.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

I'm glad you posted. Get all the support you can.

For me, I consciously thought about what I liked/loved about sobriety (what I could do if sober) and what I did not like about drinking (shame, guilt, nausea, fear, going against my values, etc.). And I got as much support as I could. I tried all the self-help meetings near me and therapy. It all helped some.

Know that you can stop. And ambivalence is normal.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone I'm a mess at moment hiding drinks from people in cupboard Etc I'm not good! I've two kids I need to sort my self out x
Old 10-31-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sapphire1981 View Post
Thank you everyone I'm a mess at moment hiding drinks from people in cupboard Etc I'm not good! I've two kids I need to sort my self out x
Put down the drink, throw out the alcohol. Sort yourself out later. That's what recovery is all about, sorting ourselves out. But not before we quit drinking.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope you can find a way to get rid of what alchohol you have today Sapphire. I remember the hiding of my drinking, it was a pretty helpless situation, or at least I thought it was. It all gets better once you get over the initial hump, lean on SR for help and seek local help too if you can.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know how difficult it is once you get started but why not make a plan for tomorrow? Make sure nothing is left before you go to sleep and have good sober plans for tomorrow. Don't give yourself an excuse by leaving anything around and go somewhere alcohol is not allowed like the mall. Make a firm plan now and prepare yourself mentally.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've been there, with the hiding drinks thing.
It's really no life.

MY little girl is my motivation.
I can't be the dad she needs if I drink.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It all starts with a day one Sapphire - can you make sure your house is booze free and then not buy anymore, no matter what?

D
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nothing changes if nothing changes, I went round in circles for a long time until I finally decided to do something about it and get a plan of recovery together!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One of the reasons I quit drinking is because my husband was always willing to drive for the both of us if we both were drinking, as I have a major fear of getting a DUI for career reasons. He is moving up in his career, and the thought of him losing all of that and calling me from jail one morning after getting a DUI would be just too much for me to bear. I want to be sober and do the driving so that nothing happens to either one of us. Call me a chauffer, I do not care. My husband does so much else for me that I am willing to do the driving if he wants to have a few drinks or go to a family party or something.

There are obviously other reasons to me wanting to quit, such as blacking out, etc etc, but I just wanted to mention the above.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've even drinking since 8am I woke up and realised in middle of night I had been round to my ex partners house and entered the property whilst drunk! He wasn't there but in back of my head I was thinking this is going to kill you Vicky! Or lose my licence, it's ridiculous I've lost control x
Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

What do you do? You listen to Carl and everyone else who's been there.

I was a complete wreck when I got sober, and my best bet was to listen to and then follow through on the suggestions I was given by those who've been there. That's all I did.

I do understand why so many of us make such a big deal of following others' suggestions, but is debating what's "right" for you at this moment really worth it?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've even drinking since 8am I woke up and realised in middle of night I had been round to my ex partners house and entered the property whilst drunk! He wasn't there but in back of my head I was thinking this is going to kill you Vicky! Or lose my licence, it's ridiculous I've lost control x
Sounds like you have lost control, alright.
Take it back.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Only you will know when it's time to stop. But once you make that decision, the choice to rule your own life rather than letting alcohol rule you, its easier. Not easy, but easier. You will have to change a lot of things, your routine, maybe some friends, your activities. Everything is easier if you do not drink. That is just all there is to it.

Stay here, read and post instead of drink. Do that for as long as you have to. You can do this.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sapphire, if you keep drinking, it is hopeless. It is guaranteed to turn out badly.

I did not quit drinking until I finally realized it was hopeless to keep drinking.

Good luck.