Notices

The Seven Friends Who Liked To Go Out

Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post The Seven Friends Who Liked To Go Out

The Seven Friends Who Liked To Go Out went out every Friday and every Saturday. They went to hear music and go dancing at The Jazz Haus. Usually they went home around midnight, but not always. Some of the friends liked to stay out later. Some of the friends started to go out other nights. too. After some time, the group became the Five Friends Who Liked To Go Out Drinking. Two of the friends stopped going with the group, and found other friends.

The Five Friends Who Liked to Go Out Drinking still went to hear music and dance, but if there was no music and no dancing that was OK too. They liked to go to a bar that had Happy Hour. Happy Hour is really two hours when drinks are half price, so if you want to get your money's worth, you should go rich then the bar opens and order. When Happy Hour is almost over, the bartender will let you order two drinks. Sometimes we ordered two doubles. Shelley, who only drinks beer, would order 3 beers. You would think that the last beer would get warm and flat, but you would be wrong. Shelley would not let that happen. She is too careful. After a while, the Five Friends dwindled to The Four Friends Who Drink Too Much.

The Four Friends Who Drink Too Much go out every evening. It does not matter if there is music, and we only dance when we are drunk. "We Really Need To Stop Drinking" we say, then laugh. We are still young and can shake off a hangover. Except for Dale. Dale has been drinking longer than any of us. Dale loses his job, because he can't shake off a hangover the way he once did. "Too bad for Dale", we say, "he can't handle his liquor." We all still have our jobs, except for Shelley, who lives with her mother, who is a widow. Shelley doesn't have to worry about hangovers. She can sleep late. I get up every morning and go to work, which means I am not an alcoholic. No matter how bad my hangover is, I go to work. Sometimes I like to have a nip of Schnapps to take the edge off, but I do not keep drinking. It's just a few shots until I wake up, then I'm fine. After some years pass we are down to Two Friends Who Drink All The Time.

The Two Friends Who Drink All The Time have a sweet deal. I live at Shelley's house. Her mother does not care. She thinks I am Shelley's boyfriend, but the most romantic thing we do is share a bottle of wine. I know I told you Shelley only drinks beer, but that was a long time ago. We don't go out so much any more. Shelley still drives, but only in the daytime. We watch TV. TV is so good! We are watching a show called Game of Thrones now. We watch 3 or 4 episodes then go out for wine. In the morning we tell ourselves "No Wine Today," but that is only good until about 5 or so. Then we are only going to have a glass. The we decide to split the bottle, then maybe just another glass. But, we have to walk to the store because Shelley WILL NOT drive after drinking, even though she totally could after only 2 glasses. But it is OK to walk, it is really the only exercise we get. We get a box wine. They had a pretty decent Chardonnay that's not too heavy. Also, it's cheap, and we don't have a lot of money at the end of the month.

The Two Friends Who Drink All The Time are going out! Shelley's mother has given her money for her birthday. "You kids go out" she says. We decide to go to The Jazz Haus. We meet our old friends Who Liked To Go Out at the Jazz Haus, after all it's Saturday night. They look great. They buy us a drink. We buy them a drink. After a while, it's hard to understand what they are saying, and they don't understand us at all. They say it's time to go home, but it's early. They go home, and we stay.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wow! I remember being one of those people. Not sure where I got off the train, but I sure rode it for a long time.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I remember when I switched from the group that left to the two that stayed.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I was one of the two that stayed for a long time. Then, I started drinking at home. That went on for a long time, too. Finally, a little over six years ago, I had enough. I am lucky. Most people, unfortunately, don't reach that point.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

. Oh yes, I see myself and my husband. He stopped being the drinking friend almost 9 years ago ....I continued and eventually it was a party of one... Until just about 2 years ago when I quit. We are together and have a whole new set of friends, in our 12 Step Ptograms. We also watch Games of Thrones....sober. OMG, I even remember what I watched the night before!
Austerwitz, thank you for sharing. . Bobbi
Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

. Oh yes, I see myself and my husband. He stopped being the drinking friend almost 9 years ago ....I continued and eventually it was a party of one... Until just about 2 years ago when I quit. We are together and have a whole new set of friends, in our 12 Step Ptograms. We also watch Games of Thrones....sober. OMG, I even remember what I watched the night before!
Austerwitz, thank you for sharing. . Bobbi
Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oops a double ...
Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Austerlitz

D
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow. That was an amazing read. Thank you for sharing!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great writing! Thank you for posting it!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR

nice to meet you
Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I enjoyed reading that little story - when i scrolled down and realized it was the end, i cant lie, was a little disappointed. Sounds like my group of friends, only when the bars closed the dealers were open for business. We'd get on that "train" and would't get off till the money ran out. I look back on those days and thank myself for getting out when i did.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
now's the time

You're a wonderful writer!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My story ended with me being the one friend who drank alone at home watching Game of Thrones....