Notices

Problem with the term Alcoholic...

Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Problem with the term Alcoholic...

Ever since I was a kid I (like most kids I guess) was always very curious about everything. Whenever I got into something I always wanted to know everything about it, learn about it and become the best I could be at whatever it was I became interested in.

This trait has always stayed with me, and of course it became a driving factor in my consumption of alcohol.

I never really enjoyed the taste of alcohol, so for me the main thing was getting the effects which I found that I really enjoyed. Also I realised very early on that I truly hated the effects of smaller amounts of alcohol. I always got very tired and lethargic, and if I was gonna stay out with my mates I would have to keep drinking(and most likely also do stimulant drugs) to be able to enjoy it.

This played a big role in me becoming an addict/alcoholic as I would eventually use alcohol to "cure" my hangovers, and then somewhat down the line also "cure" everything else that was troubling my mind.

My point is that I don't feel that the term Alcoholic is appropriate.
To this obsession there is also a passion.

When I got into alcohol I was giving it all of me. It became an obsession.
Eventually it became a selfdestructive habit.

When I tried to moderate my consumption, I would become obsessed about that, and it would be on my mind constantly. Always watching myself, counting the drinks, paying attention to my alcohol wanting thoughts etc, and it started to make my life unliveable. It was simply too much effort and not worth it.

Now I am obsessed about sobriety. But at the moment I don't see this as a bad thing. I have to keep my focus on it. I know from experience how quickly I can fall again if I let my guards down. In time I will start to "level" out my obsession, so I can also start to focus on other aspects of my life, and start living in a new way, in which everything is possible.

I think alot of us "Alcoholics" are simply very passionate people who wants everything we can get out of life. When we discover alcohol we want the best it can give us... But it becomes a trap. We must direct our passion in a different direction, and find what brings us true lasting happiness.

We are strong people who got sidetracked.

Hope this makes sense.

Peace
Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no requirement that anyone use the term alcoholic as far as I know...as long as we deal with the problem, whatever it is

D
Old 10-16-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my problem is that it's an unscientific term that has no real definition. it is used by anyone at their one discretion. So for me personally it is useless and i actually believe it causes more harm then good as it wasn't creates in fact but to serve another purpose.

you are better off without made up labels.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not a big user of labels, the solution to the problem for me was the same no matter what term I used, "alcoholic", "problem drinker", "heavy drinker", it didn't change the actions I needed to take to sort my life out!!

Alcohol was causing problems and I needed to part ways with it, that was the paramount focus!!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the term "alcoholic" is a convenient catch-all label.
I mean if somebody has a problem in that they feel they need three beers every night, they will be considered by many to be alcoholic.
If, like me, a person sets out to only have three beers per night but ends up drinking till blackout, they would definitely be considered an alcoholic.
And alcohol is the common factor here, but there are enough differences to suggest the problem is different.

I don't mind the term alcoholic.
Although, I'm tending to use it less, and basically referring to having "a problem when I drink".
Subtle difference, maybe.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I prefer to say I have an addictive personality. And I don't like to drink toxic solvents. That one makes people look at me weird lol
Old 10-16-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scientism is science applied "in excess".

I have "alcoholism".... Alcohol applied "in excess"

Nothing particularly wrong with Scientism. At least it won't kill anyone... Unless maybe you conduct "cryogenic" experiments using yourself as the guinea pig.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To me the ism thing kinda makes it sound like it's a disease or something unique to alcohol, which I think is a problem. It's just an addiction. There is no reason for calling it something different than a drug addiction... Probably because it's the most socially acceptable drug addiction people can have, so when the relative small percentage who cannot control it, get into serious problems, the majority(who often also has a problem but can still "function") can distance themselves from the "sick" alcoholic minority...
Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 10-16-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

Now I am obsessed about sobriety. But at the moment I don't see this as a bad thing. I have to keep my focus on it. I know from experience how quickly I can fall again if I let my guards down. In time I will start to "level" out my obsession, so I can also start to focus on other aspects of my life, and start living in a new way, in which everything is possible.
I could say i'm obsessive complsive etc.. which is true i agree with you i turned sobriety into some new god hucked it up on the pedestal the bottle used to sit on. I do the same thing with running. Yes whatever works to keep me sober But i do realize i need better balance. I'm working on it.

So you could say your obsessive etc.. I could too but I also like to be more specific then that and say I'm an alcoholic to me for me its calling a spade a spade and saying it like it is. For me I dont wanna sugar coat the reality etc..

But yeah there is no denying another obsessive issue inside of me as well.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Philosopher, thinker, tinker

But in AA meetings you kind of have to introduce yourself as "I'm an alcoholic". I'd rather say, "Hi, I'm so-and-so and I'm a strong willed individual that is fighting alcohol dependence!"

But that's just me. If one isn't engaging in the addiction, I don't think you can be considered an "addict" or "alcoholic". 1 week, or 10 years sober -- I think you can call yourself a "recovering alcoholic", as recovery never stops.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I think alot of us "Alcoholics" are simply very passionate people who wants everything we can get out of life. When we discover alcohol we want the best it can give us... But it becomes a trap. We must direct our passion in a different direction...
"Most drunks don't have what it takes to be an alcoholic."

- Clarence Snyder
Old 10-16-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Recovered alcoholic
I'm not an alcoholic today
Unless I put a drink back in my hand

I think that makes sense ?

MM
Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alice Cooper

Rocker, and legendary Alk Alice Cooper, famously traded off Drinking for taking up daily Golf. The energy had to go somewhere. I thought that concept perfectly fine.

I worked in Health-conscious Boulder around serious Weekend Athletes. Most might view them as obsessive to the max. Some obsessions are OK in our Society.

Alice Cooper reportedly pays his former Bandmates $100k/year for the use of the Band name. Some are reportedly serious Alks, but he does the honorable thing - IMO - to keep them off the Streets. He provides them an Income.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

over-drinker? lush? derelict? maybe booze-challenged. I mean, why feel bad about a label that might help you remember how fun it really was. I was as much an alcoholic when it didn't show outwardly as when it did. The declaration is not for others but for me. Use another word if it suits you as long as it isn't false.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Draumwave View Post
To me the ism thing kinda makes it sound like it's a disease or something unique to alcohol, which I think is a problem. It's just an addiction. There is no reason for calling it something different than a drug addiction... Probably because it's the most socially acceptable drug addiction people can have, so when the relative small percentage who cannot control it, get into serious problems, the majority(who often also has a problem but can still "function") can distance themselves from the "sick" alcoholic minority...
If "beating an addiction" is your mindset, cool.

I wish you all the best to beat it.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Recovered alcoholic
I'm not an alcoholic today
Unless I put a drink back in my hand

I think that makes sense ?

MM
Makes sense. Just like MM, I don't have a drinking problem, because I don't drink. I can get one, fast...but I don't have a drinking problem. I have a THINKING problem, and that particular problem becomes quite inflamed when I add alcohol to the mix.

I've been around lots of new friends who only know me as a non-drinker. I've never once said "I'm an alcoholic" and they don't think of me as one. This doesn't have to be an issue - don't let your head make this into a problem. Be who you are without alcohol and move on.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used the term alcoholic for awhile and it seemed to help me finally get it through my head that I had a big problem. I gave myself over to that model for a time. I think I may have needed that as part of my path of progress. But now it doesn't fit to continually call myself that - it seems to add to my grief and weigh me down - keep me down somehow forever. It goes against what I really feel deep in my soul - not a sinner but a lover. I see myself as a loving, beautiful human being who wants the best for myself. And when I want the best for myself it naturally extends to my world.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

I am Alcoholic i know what that word means to me if you dont use it dont use it but for me all i hear is stigma, shame etc

i am alcoholic admitted it at 31 with my head in a bucket of blood

ive even heard ppl saying sterotypical alcoholic ??

being alcoholic is nothing to be ashamed of it saves my life everyday

when i wasnt alcoholic i was drinking myself into the grave burrning away in house fires lots of blood getting vomited up handcuffed to hospital beds etc i was out of control i was AWOL

being alcoholic im getting my life back im staying sober if ppl want to criticise this word by all means

but i know what it means to me

lifesaving
Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't have any issues with the term alcoholic. By common definition it is what I am. I could twist that with all kinds of mental gymnastics, yet at the end of the day I'll still fit that definition. I drink differently than most people, and if I pick up a drink I'm going to be in serious trouble.

Originally Posted by Draumwave View Post
It's just an addiction. There is no reason for calling it something different than a drug addiction...
This is the great debate.

A long while back I took certification courses for substance abuse counseling. In pharmacology class we learned about differences in the way some people process acetaldehyde. What I learned in that class hit home with me, bigtime. It was said that some people could drink heavily, for years even, yet if something significantly bad happened in their lives due to their alcohol consumption, they'd be able to stop. Or stop drinking to excess. Others, it didn't matter. No matter how many bad instances, how many promises, how many lock ups, hospitalizations, how many times they were certain they'd never do it again... they'd eventually be drunk soon after. Had nothing to do with willpower or breaking a bad habit. Had to do with body chemistry, and the effect alcohol had on them. That was the category I fell into. That was my story with alcohol.

I took lots of other drugs. I didn't get addicted to them. Some I took daily for years, yet was able to quit when they messed me up badly enough. Without a hospital, rehab, or support. Alcohol however had me in it's teeth like a pit bull.

That's not to say some people don't have addictive personalities, and can get addicted to alcohol just like anything else. Again, I don't believe that's my story though. I do believe that those people who are addicted to alcohol have a much easier time keeping the bottle down, and add a lot of confusion to the game of getting sober . I believe for some alcohol has become a bad habit, and once they realize it, they can log into a website like this a few times a day and they've got it licked. Again, not my deal. I needed a detox, rehab, outpatient counseling, AA, a change of diet, the 12 steps, and the spiritual experiences that came along with those steps. Not to mention a complete change of lifestyle.

A lot more I'd like to say, but have to get to work. I personally think there is a difference between alcoholism and addiction. Many don't. Bottom line is we figure out what works best us, and move forward with that.