Notices

I spoke at AA last night

Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I spoke at AA last night

What an odd experience......we spend a life time hiding our problems from view, pretending to be strong and pushing people away. Then at our lowest we seek out the very opposite of what we've been hiding from, going somewhere to air our problems out in public admitting to how weak we are and seeking solace in the arms of strangers. Not really a question or shout out for support just an odd observation. I thought I'd hate AA for the reasons above...I'm not a sharer.....the anonymity is like armour though and gave me the balls to say things aloud I thought I never would.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is a strange thing to think about - isn't it? Seems paradox! But makes sense - clearly we've been doing everything in life a*s backwards to end up where we end up.

Congrats at sharing at your first meeting!! It only gets better. It took some time but I fell head over heels in love with AA and I'm sure you will too. An amazing life awaits you!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Nice Going MM - important step in this battle!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
skg

(Step 5) Integrity: Telling the truth about myself to another person(s) before God. I don't get the same relief if I am not being honest.... Cleansing, isn't it?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Speaking before a large or small group for me one of the changes I needed to make as I never thought I could do it. Very few of us are public speakers and are naturally afraid. When we speak we usually express our inner feelings which free us a bit each time and afterward I often wonder why I said this or that. Sometimes someone will remark that they needed to hear what I said. That leaves me wondering what it was as they never say.

BE WELL
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You made my day MM - I just smiled when I read your post - happy for you. It's anything but weakness that you're displaying in reaching out. Anyone who runs like you do is mentally tough and has gone many long miles on their own. It is indeed ironic that reaching out for support is how we begin to get sober.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
in the arms of strangers.
Strangers are just friends you have not met yet.

I have an AA coin that says that and I find it to be true over and over. It takes time to get to know people. It takes time to break out of the hard shell we put ourselves in.

I like to think of it as that seed. It gets planted. It gets some love and before you know it the shell cracks open and out comes a bud that just wants to open up and shine.

I have seen it over and over and it never fails to amaze me.

Keep coming back
Old 09-22-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Climber - I think in trying to do it alone is where i've gone wrong.....never liked the thought of admitting the lack of control to another person....all I know is doing it alone was only ending with one result (relapse) and i'm clever enough to take to heart the saying "nothing changes if nothing changes".

gracie -Maybe the weakness that breaks me alone can be galvinised into what makes me strong when the weight feels like its carried on more shoulders than just my own. I'm desperate to have some peace from the fight that always goes on in side of me so I'll give anything a try now.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Brave you.

It is the reaching out & opening up that saves us. For me, that level of true sharing is what I most love about AA. It's the only place that I've ever felt fully "part of" without using alcohol as an illusion of connection.

Watching you grow, from across the planet! Nice...
Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
when the weight feels like its carried on more shoulders than just my own.
I was told early on that a problem shared is a problem cut in half and I have found this to be true.

When I carry around all that ails me, I am alone with that burden. When I reach out and share what is going on I feel better, some weight is lifted because I am not the only one carrying it any longer.

I found it hard to share and I still do even knowing it will bring relief. I have to force myself to reach out. Leaving that comfort zone (my own mind) is hard work and it takes practice.

Sometimes when I resist the urge to share something I remember something else I learned. I never know who I may help by sharing. There may be another person struggling with the exact same issue I am yet we both remain silent. If I share I have the chance to help someone else. I don't have the answer, that is why I am sharing my struggles, but someone else may and when that happens the help is two fold. I am helped and they are helped.

They may not have spoken up that time but it may encourage them next time because they got an answer they needed.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I was told early on that a problem shared is a problem cut in half and I have found this to be true.

When I carry around all that ails me, I am alone with that burden. When I reach out and share what is going on I feel better, some weight is lifted because I am not the only one carrying it any longer.

I found it hard to share and I still do even knowing it will bring relief. I have to force myself to reach out. Leaving that comfort zone (my own mind) is hard work and it takes practice.

Sometimes when I resist the urge to share something I remember something else I learned. I never know who I may help by sharing. There may be another person struggling with the exact same issue I am yet we both remain silent. If I share I have the chance to help someone else. I don't have the answer, that is why I am sharing my struggles, but someone else may and when that happens the help is two fold. I am helped and they are helped.

They may not have spoken up that time but it may encourage them next time because they got an answer they needed.
I agree.

People will seize on what we think is a stray remark and it will help them immeasurably.

It certainly has with me on many occasions.