Notices

How have you made a difference?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

How have you made a difference?

I realized we don't believe we make a difference but we do. We've been influential but our addiction has clouded our memory. Get up!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Last Christmas out of nowhere I got an email from a kid I barely remember who was my student once. He'd been kicked out of school for setting a live chicken afire. Or maybe he'd been kicked out of school for fighting or selling drugs and he'd been arrested for the chicken incident. Anyway he was a nasty little 13 year old piece of gang-banging work 17 years ago. And he emailed me to thank me -- he said I'd treated him right and gave him a chance. It meant a lot to me to know i made a difference to at least one person. Thanks for reminding me, trach.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My young niece died at 6 months old of a rare heart condition. For the past 4 years I have donated to and promoted events for the Children's Heart Association. I even did my "ice bucket challenge" on their behalf, ha. As a family we've raised thousands for the cause over the past few years. Supporting and bonding with others attached to this charity has made a difference for many kids I've never met.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I am fortunate to own a small business and have the privilege of being able to change peoples lives by offering them gainful employment and a really great benefit package. I realized long ago, being able to give someone job can change a whole trajectory of a single life.

I always refused to pay only minimum wage, (what I deem to be an unlivable wage) and I constantly seek the best ways I can improve upon the outside lives of the people who I spend more time with then most of my family. Once someone is brought on board, they become like family to me.

Have I gotten burned, hell yes. That's ok. That's on them.

My poppa taught me to believe in the goodness of the human spirit and I will forever be grateful for the responsibility I have been given.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I volunteer to work with the elderly in my community. I drive them to appointments and one lovely 91 year old lady I check in on regularly to see if she needs to talk, walk or shop. Usually all three. I get so much from these amazing people. I always ask tons of questions and listen intently. By far one of the most fulfilling parts of my life.
Volunteering was on my list of things to do this year. That and give up drinking.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took my daughter to her first AA meeting on Sunday.

Today I can be a positive example to a very important person in my life of what living sober has done for me.

Sometimes you don't have to do anything specific, just being an example may make the difference for another to seek help.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a great thread BTW - there's this stigma that we alcoholics are a bunch of wildlings and criminals. In reality we are smart, honest, good people who are well loved by so many. Just because we've battled this condition doesn't mean we aren't good people who have done awesome things!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I hope I have. I often ask strangers if they are ok if they are crying or something. They seem to cheer up a little bit, or maybe they are smiling and thinking 'go away, you mad woman'. xx
Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes, bigS, we are great people. Every recovered or recovering person I know is smarter than average. It why we quit.

The smartest man I know, who walked out of the MENSA exam saying it was foolish, once told me that he thought he could handle anything until he realized he wasn't handling drugs. They were handling him. Some of the stories he told were amazing. He actually helped me along my path by telling me that he was helpless.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've shown my kids there is life without alcohol.
They have a Dad again.
I've shown my family a recovery "that should be made into a movie".
They have a brother and son again.
I've shown my bank an ability to wipe out 75k in debt in less than 3 years.
They want to lend to me again(no!).

The most important person I've impressed is the man in the mirror.
I respect myself again.

What a difference.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am taking care of my elderly mother right now. Do you know what is so special about that? It is that I am modeling behavior to my own kids about taking care of people you love. I was never close to my own grandmother and had long since moved away during her final years but I saw my mom do everything possible to care for her. I didn't realize it at the time but she taught me a valuable lesson that I hope to pass on to my kids.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I try to help people with the same problems I have. Even when I'm at my lowest point I still think of other people that have the same problems I have first before myself.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Coached various youth sports for many years - basketball some, but mostly baseball. Makes me feel good/made a difference when a young adult walks up to me in a grocery store...smiles and asks " Remember me Coach?"

Great days!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I volunteer at the women's shelter, am a better wife and companion to my husband, rescued two Beagles, and contribute here on SR.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

more important then how you've made a difference is to let others know when they have made a difference. so many people think they are not making a difference at all inside they may feel terrible and useless etc.. simply telling someone how much of a difference they made can go a long way.

I struggle with that. I've reached out to some people I havent spoken to in ages in the last couple years to tell them that they made a difference in my life and I appreciated it etc..

Think about someone like robin williams if he new how much of a difference he made maybe it would have changed his outlook. Or maybe it didnt change his outlook who knows.

I'd like to think i've made a difference in a lot of various aspects of life but I always hate to toot my own horn like that. but it feels good being told.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i like to contribute to my community through self example in physical fitness.....but ive been slipping lately..sorry guys