Notices

not sure whats happening to me

Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not sure whats happening to me

Hi

hope someone can help me, ive been abusing alcohol now for about 8 yrs. But recently after a pretty tough year (father being diagnosed with a brain tumour & then sadly passing away in june) I had a panic attack for the 1st time a few weeks ago after a really heavy wkend of drinking, it wasreally scary didnt no what was happening to me, my arms went numb & I couldnt move them had pain in my chest & couldnt breathe, thought that my time was def up. My bf called an ambulance & it was all witnessed by my 14 year old daughter. By the timethe ambulance arrived I was much better nd didnt hav to go to the ER thank god.

anyway today am feeling very panicky again ive been drinking all wkend, not today tho. Im in the house on my own & was eating breakfast when I started feeling really weird, kinda like im not real or im gona pass out I started getting really warm & panicky, I kinda talked myself out of it nd dont feel too bad now, but im scared im gona have a full blown panic attack or worse.

does anyone have any advice how to keep calm nd get through the day. I really needto stop drinking it really isn't fun anymore

Thank you in advance

elisha x
Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

stop drinking, drink more water
Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome elisha

My anxiety, including panic attacks, definitely got worse the more years I drank. I believed I was so used to alcohol that I would withdraw from it, causing anxiety and panic attacks.

I really think the best thing you could do is to look into getting some help to stop drinking.

The anxiety won't go away immediately but it will almost certainly get better with time and abstinence from alcohol

D
Old 09-15-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi elisha…..I used to get a similar feeling. I not only abused alcohol but benzos too, trying to calm myself. I think self soothing is a skill, and it is something that we forget how to do in healthy ways when we drink. Many of us get jittery when hungover, (later on those hangovers become slight withdrawals, and then more significant withdrawals).

It may seem like there is a great divide, that getting sober seems so out of reach, and the fear of living with anxiety seems unbearable. I would never have believed I would be able to quell my anxiety without external assistance. I got sober last June and I have not had one, not one, anxiety attack. Honestly, I am still stunned by the fact that these physical symptoms resolved, I was convinced that I needed substances to bring me down to what felt normal.

I also think seeing a doctor would be a good first step. It is scary to get honest, but the flood of relief I felt when I stopped hiding so much crap was more potent than any pill or drink I have ever taken.

I also have a young daughter. I grew up with a mother who was an alcoholic, her mother was an alcoholic. I want to break that cycle. My mom got sober when I was your daughter's age, and it is probably a big part of the reason I was able identify what was going on with me sooner rather than later. I know it feels really scary to think of letting go of what feels like a security blanket, but I promise you life is so much better without being chained to that bottle.

Alcohol turned on me at a point, what helped me relax at one point became the main reason my life was falling apart. It is the sickest relationship I have ever had. We broke up and it was strange at first, but it got better, fast. It is great that you found your way here and reached out. I hope you stick around.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Alcoholism is progressive,it gets worse over time.What you are experiencing are withdrawls,which can be dangerous.

Drink plenty of water and seek medical advice if necessay.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow Jaynie

thank u for that reply, seems like you knew all the right things to say to me right now, im feeling positive that I can really do this, but apprehensive that ill fall back into the trap again. I feel like I deserve better than what im doing to myself right now. I have to try at least. Sobriety seems so far away tho,

my previous attempts to give up never lasted more than a few days its like sometimes i cant control myself, it feels like my mind tries to trick me into drinking or ill jus grab a drink very quickly & will be like oh too late youve drunk now u mite as well carry on.

I feel like I just need that one click in my brain & everything will become crystal clear & ill realise, oh my god what have u done to yourself, this is crazy
Old 09-15-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Alcoholism is progressive,it gets worse over time.What you are experiencing are withdrawls,which can be dangerous.

Drink plenty of water and seek medical advice if necessay.
Hi heath thanks for the reply

I think thats why im so panicky I no im in withdrawals nd im scared something bad is going to happen to me, is ther anything I can do to make sure I get through the day safely.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by elisha82 View Post
I feel like I deserve better than what I'm doing to myself right now. I have to try at least.

It feels like my mind tries to trick me into drinking.

I feel like I just need that one click in my brain & everything will become crystal clear
Elisha, I selected a few ideas from your last post just above here, and they make me think that AVRT might give you a helpful way of looking at your continuing to drink alcohol now. Put 'AVRT Crash Course' in google. It might be that brain click you are looking for.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Elisha,

I struggled with panic attacks for a long time too. Getting through the day can be hard. Anxiety and panic attacks will subside, but it takes a while. One thing I know for sure is that there is no way around this one. Complete abstinence from alcohol is the only way to make progress on the panic attacks. I wish I hadn't tried for a couple more years after my first panic attack to be able to drink AND not have attacks! I tried drinking every other day, only beer, stopping at a certain number - sometimes I would wake up with that feeling, other times not... today the panic is completely gone and I am happy and free - the only thing I can't do is take a drink.

It's not a fast adjustment though - it's a slow, steady process. We can't give medical advice here but if you are concerned about your safety, please see a doctor. That said, panic attacks feel like our lives are threatened but they rarely are. They do take a while to subside though. If you see a doc, please tell them you think you have a drinking problem. You don't want them to prescribe pills that basically do what alcohol does and can be lethal when mixed with drinking. Please, please be honest with them.

I would recommend a two-prong approach if you really want change in your life. For the panic attacks, do some research on them and find a relaxation technique that works for you when you feel one coming on. You might even consider scheduling one or two sessions with a therapist who will listen to the specifics of your anxiety and can give you some real world strategies to cope. Believe it or not the simplest things can work - you don't have to become a yogi For me it was mindful breathing and seeing myself in the third person, but you will find something that works for you. It's really amazing when you are able to feel the panic subside and you haven't had a drink or popped a pill to make it happen.

The second approach is addressing the source of the panic attacks - that would be alcoholism. For that there are many peer support groups out there - this website, AA, AVRT - give one a try so that you can start building a plan and a social support network to help you with staying sober as your mind and body begin to heal themselves. God bless
Old 09-15-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Elisha, I selected a few ideas from your last post just above here, and they make me think that AVRT might give you a helpful way of looking at your continuing to drink alcohol now. Put 'AVRT Crash Course' in google. It might be that brain click you are looking for.
Thanks I will look into that, ive read up on it before but will do so again as I did like its concepts
Old 09-15-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Elisha

Those panic attacks, eh?
Oh man, the first one I had convinced me I was going insane.
I thought, "this is me forever".

It was always after heavy drinking, but I wasn't as smart as you - I didn't make the connection with the booze.

Anyway, I developed terrible anxiety, not all the time, but it would come out of nowhere and leave me debilitated for pretty long periods of time.
Even after I'd quit booze, I'd still get anxiety attacks from time to time.

CBT helped me get over my anxiety and it is now no longer an issue.
It also helps with quitting drinking.
But I would also suggest you use something else too, something you can utilise on a daily basis when you need it.
AA works for many, not for me, but that's ok.
This site is a wonderful resource and there are other things too.

The most important thing to remember when those panic attacks hit, is that it will 100% definitely pass.
Guaranteed.
And panicking about panic attacks is only going to make it worse.

Good luck and take good care of yourself.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember when I had my first alcohol induced panic attack. Sure are fun aren't they!?
I thought for sure I was dying, and I waited and waited.Nothing, so I went to the ER.

Couldn't be alcohol I thought, it calms me down.work stress, that's it!
I later came to the realization that booze was the cause and still drank,panic attacks be damned.

So I slacked off over the past few months from drinking and the attacks stopped for the most part. It was easier for me to slow down because I felt like somethin a turd shat out and didn't have the will to drink. I gave up.

I'm 4 days dry and sober after a 15 year run. I'm done.

Get to putting it behind you, you'll feel much better.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Double tap
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

How are you now Elisha?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Elisha
I was exactly the same way- shaky, and a bit scared. But, every day I returned for more punishment. For months I have been lurking here- reading, building confidence that I could actually stop drinking. Then I read the AVRT site, and went through the crash course. It just hit me that I could stop, no worries- and I did!
You too can find that "mental click"- it is there for you.
Go get 'er!~
Every day now the sun shines and the birds sing.
I want that for you as well.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The body isn't invincible, with time something has to eventually give!!

It might be time to finally turn things around and seriously address your relationship with alcohol!!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

panic attacks got worse and worse for me till i quit. i tried a lot of things aside from quiting with no luck. I finally was sick and tired of em and tried quiting alcohol not because i wanted too believe me i wanted to continue drinking but if panic attacks where because of it i had to try to quit. once I quit it stopped.

I know it can be hard our minds play tricks on us and try and get us to drink again. gotta do it 1 day at a time. I had to view my panic attacks as a little thing to correct my behavior. Like if i had to walk a straight line and if i got out of line i got shocked or something to get me to straighten up. I'm thankful i had them now if it wasnt for them i'd still be drinking.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elisha82 View Post
Hi

hope someone can help me, ive been abusing alcohol now for about 8 yrs. But recently after a pretty tough year (father being diagnosed with a brain tumour & then sadly passing away in june) I had a panic attack for the 1st time a few weeks ago after a really heavy wkend of drinking, it wasreally scary didnt no what was happening to me, my arms went numb & I couldnt move them had pain in my chest & couldnt breathe, thought that my time was def up. My bf called an ambulance & it was all witnessed by my 14 year old daughter. By the timethe ambulance arrived I was much better nd didnt hav to go to the ER thank god.

anyway today am feeling very panicky again ive been drinking all wkend, not today tho. Im in the house on my own & was eating breakfast when I started feeling really weird, kinda like im not real or im gona pass out I started getting really warm & panicky, I kinda talked myself out of it nd dont feel too bad now, but im scared im gona have a full blown panic attack or worse.

does anyone have any advice how to keep calm nd get through the day. I really needto stop drinking it really isn't fun anymore

Thank you in advance

elisha x

Stop drinking and see a Doctor.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah....I was being treated for anxiety/panic attacks.
Then I quit drinking.
No more anxiety beyond "normal" little stuff. I used to not be able to even leave the house, start to freak out, break out in a cold sweat, etc.
Anyways, I still would get checked out by a doctor and tell them your plan on quitting. Things may need to be monitored, like blood pressure and such.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pulltight View Post
Double tap
With a quote like that, you have given yourself away as a shooter.

Am I right?