Notices

Why bother? Is it too late?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why bother? Is it too late?

I am 50 and have been drinking regularly for about 30 years. I have experienced health issues from drinking, among all of the other issues, and it is the health side that is motivating me to stop. I have tried to stop countless times but now doing things differently and praying that I finally maintain abstinence.

What has me so discouraged is that from things I've been reading that say after you quit, your increased cancer risks don't lessen much for about 15-20 years and may actually INCREASE right after stopping. This has freaked me out some.

I am on Day 3 and was feeling so hopeful and now feel like sobbing. I can kick myself for not being able to quit sooner -- way sooner, but it is what it is.

I am reaching out for some hope here at SR to help me through this mental hump. Maybe this is just the weird emotional roller coaster of day 3? Is it possible to help heal ourselves with diet, exercise and calm or is some horrible disease inevitable from the years of abuse?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this, and spend the next thirty years making up for the last thirty. You will find tons of support here. You have no idea what a great life is waiting for you.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit at 40. I've gotten more out of life in the last nearly 8 years than I did in the 20 before that.

Even if I drop dead today it's still been worth 100 times over - I rediscovered the real me and I have a life I love. I aim to enjoy every second I have left

For what it's worth I've had contact with thousands of people here - I can count the cancer cases on one hand - and at least two of those were successfully treated.

If you don't quit I reckon there's a much greater chance of you dying younger, painfully and miserably.

D
Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quit at 45. Yes I wish I'd done a lot of things before but one of the best things about sobriety is learning not to dwell on the past and instead live in the present.
I see my 25 years of alcohol abuse as a life lesson. Now I focus on living the rest of my days in a way that best defines who I choose to be. Everyday is a bonus, a gift.
Trust me it will get better with time and yes there will be days that are awful. Being sober does not make everything in our life work out all the time but it does give us the choice about how we respond to life.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 49 years old and am dying. The disease that I have is rare, basically untreatable and incurable. I have spent basically half my life as an active alcoholic and half in recovery. As a result, I have a pretty good handle on what life can be like both ways.

I choose sobriety hands down. It's not even close.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it's too late for you then I'm in trouble. I'm 65 and quit last month. I drank for half my life. I read a couple of those articles but it also talks about more studies, etc. I don't take these things too seriously. There are enough other things we eat drink and breathe everyday that will probably get us first. Don't drink/smoke, watch the sugar, eat healthy food, exercise. Live and enjoy your sobriety, no it's not too late.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

why should you let the risks of cancer freak you out ?

do you have cancer today ??? yes or no ?

if you dont have it then stop worrying about it, it doesnt matter what anyone does in this world to prolong life or aviod cancer if you are going to get cancer it will get you there is no choice in the matter
i know it sounds harsh or even brutal but reading your post it says to me your worrying about an illness you dont even have ???

this is were we have to face things head on in life and only concern our selves with things that we do have
right now you have a drink problem and your trying to do something about that
so thats what you have to focus on my friend not if you get an illness later on in life

so try and just focus on the problems you do have and not what your imagining you might get its not living life in the real world
good luck to you
Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

God Bless your heart ....I haven't even made it that far yet....
Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You will hear people talk about the AV, Addictive or Alcoholic Voice. That voice that tries to convince you to keep drinking. It can be very persuasive, capitalizing on your fears. Sounds like your AV is talking, pointing out that getting sober might actually hurt you, so might as well keep drinking. Beware the AV. Its trying to kill you.

Congratulations on your decision and three days! It is so worth it.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

How old will you be five years from now if you don't quit?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frugal14 View Post
I am 50 and have been drinking regularly for about 30 years. I have experienced health issues from drinking, among all of the other issues, and it is the health side that is motivating me to stop. I have tried to stop countless times but now doing things differently and praying that I finally maintain abstinence.

What has me so discouraged is that from things I've been reading that say after you quit, your increased cancer risks don't lessen much for about 15-20 years and may actually INCREASE right after stopping. This has freaked me out some.

I am on Day 3 and was feeling so hopeful and now feel like sobbing. I can kick myself for not being able to quit sooner -- way sooner, but it is what it is.

I am reaching out for some hope here at SR to help me through this mental hump. Maybe this is just the weird emotional roller coaster of day 3? Is it possible to help heal ourselves with diet, exercise and calm or is some horrible disease inevitable from the years of abuse?
First, some of what you may be experiencing just 3 days in is likely chemically motivated. Your body is perhaps detoxifying.

Never underestimate the ability for you body to repair itself. I am a different person I was a year ago. I feel as though I have gained ten to fifteen years physiologically and aged twenty in terms of wisdom.

Worrying about things out of your control is part of addiction. When you can find acceptance on many levels you will find peace and if like me, not worry about any of these things. Live in the moment, not the future or past.

If you keep drinking cancer is the least of your concerns.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit after 60 and have not been sorry one day that I was sober. I can't tell you how many days I was sorry I got drunk. Don't let the voices in your head get you down. We all have a little voice telling us all the reasons we should not quit, or stay quit. Good job on three days and welcome to the journey of your new life. We are all here for you.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I quit after 20+ years of daily drinking. It's probably one of the best things I've ever done for myself, regardless of how old I am. Be careful what you read on the internet regarding health scares, there is a lot of misinformation. Other than the potential risks of acute withdrawal for some, I cannot fathom any negative health consequences to quitting heavy drinking. See your doctor if you do have specific concerns of any kind.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's never too late x
Old 09-12-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Great heartfelt post......
At 54 I finally said enough. The changes even at 96 days are amazing - can't wait to see what 1 year will be like.

But, I focus simply on today.

A gent shared on a thread I started recently entitled Over 50 / newly sober. He discusses some interesting things about probabilities when one quits over 50 - good stuff.

All that stated, myself - like others here I am sure - can find anything on the internet to support or oppose whatever position one seeks on virtually any topic. Like Scott states, lot's of scary stuff out there.....

For me, peace comes ( not always - have years of one day at a time work to do) in the knowledge that today I am doing what I can to love others, show tolerance and change for the better.

legna has shared the most graceful post I have read in a long time. Humbled to read it.....
That is all I need to read, thank you legna.

Knowing time is limited ( all of us ), how we choose to go forward is what matters. Not the what if's....

Great post, I needed to read this based on my regret of waiting so long, which is rapidly dissipating.

Yesterday at a meeting a gentleman picked up a 15 year sobriety chip......He is 85! Emphatically declared, it's never too late.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

25 years of drinking under my belt and quit at 44.

Sober almost 18 months.

It is not to late! I am not going to say I don’t have regrets that I did not stop sooner because I do but I don’t let that define me. I am sober now and that is what counts.

You do not get your old life back, you get a new one!

Three days is awesome! You can do this, you just don’t know how yet. Stick around and learn. It only takes a small amount of willingness. Take some suggestions and hang in there.

There are many and I mean MANY people that do not get sober until their 40’s and 50’s. It is never to late to get sober! Never!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My mom had the attitude of "why bother" with sobriety. She took a handful of pills one night and decided it wasn't worth the trouble anymore. She was only 52.

Her death inspired me to get sober.

I hope you decide a sober life is worth the risks inherent in living... and cancer seems to be one of those risks we face. I wouldn't give up the 1.5 years I've just spent sober even if I found tomorrow I have cancer.

It's been worth the effort. Ideally, I'll live to be 100 but the odds are that I'll die somewhere around 80 or so. I plan to make all the days count.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There are many other things that alcohol does to your body. The pain of pancreatic attacks contributed by alcohol are serious. Liver damage, the list goes on. IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO STOP!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

I am on Day 3 and was feeling so hopeful and now feel like sobbing. I can kick myself for not being able to quit sooner -- way sooner,but it is what it is.
"it is what it is"

I could not have said it better myself. Just leave it at that and dont worry about what you should have or shoudnt have done. Whatever you did or didnt do in the past happened as a result of the best decision you could make at the time. There isnt anything wrong with that and no sense in faulting yourself for anything like that.

Your never too old its never too late.

Your body will heal. I read a book "vitamin cure for alcoholism" mainly they spoke of vitamins that help alcoholics recover etc.. One could read the very same book and ask themselves how can i get the best bang for my buck with those vitamins simply by eating the right foods.

The point is your body will heal and recover. Proper diet and exercise goes a long long way. I'm not going to tell you that a pristine diet will give you eternal life or some hog wash it is no silver bullet BUT it will go a long long way at helping you recover.

Take it one step at a time one day at a time. Little by little you'll start to feel better in due time. I dunno about you but 3 days is a pretty big deal to me. When i had 3 days hell i couldnt remember the last time i had 3 days when i first got 3 days.

I'm younger i was 33 when i quit i was also 275lbs a heavy smoker and could hardly get up the stairs without loosing my breathe

fast forward a few years i'm 150lbs i run 50-60 miles per week and quit smoking. Like you i worry it would be tragic for me to get hit with lung cancer or something from my bad habits at this point in the game. But It is what it is. The past few years I've enjoyed health that I have not ever had in my life. Sure in highschool i was fit. but NEver like this. I'm fitter then most half my age etc..

so the body can heal.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

I also heard from a doctor its the "quality of life" that matters not the quantity etc... If you make good choices sure you could still die young etc.. but I'd imagine you'll have a much better go of it then if you make bad choices and have to suffer for long in the end etc..

you sober up you start having good days etc.. when you hit the end of the road you can look back and say I had some good days things got better things are ok i had a good life. I dont think you wanna hit the end of your road and be complaining about your hangover and the one the day before it and so on etc... thats no way to live.