Authenticity

Old 09-06-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

My feelings are what they are. I can manipulate them, But I can't create them. If I could, I never would have drank. I can create thoughts to no end. My feelings are what they are though. They don't themselves lie to me. They don't tell me truth either for that matter, okay?

Nonetheless, my feelings are like the water of a waterfall, but not the fall itself. Like the surf, but not the wav that moves thru the surf. My feelings are physical and I have emotions built on that foundation. As a baby, I learned to feel much before I learned to have emotions. I think we all did.

Spending my first years in hospital from 11 months to 2.5 years changed me into what I am. I'm not really attached normally to things, or people, as a result of those early years.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Give me an example of "feelings don't lie" please.
  # 104 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Eckhart Tolle speaks about "this emotion. “Fear” comes close, but apart from a continuous sense of threat, it also includes a deep sense of abandonment and incompleteness."

He says you are not the thinker, you are not your mind. You are much more than your thoughts. You are the observer of your thoughts.

After reading this thread and pondering how to respond to you, this is what I found.
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle Excerpt: "You Are Not Your Mind"

Every paragraph is relevant to this discussion. Please see what you can take from it.
  # 105 (permalink)  

Can feelings lie? Certainly. I will use the argument of the orbital frontal cortex region of our brain and the function of the OFC to receive input from all the sensory areas. Think of walking into a Tommy Bahama store where your senses are triggered to believe you are on a beach somewhere. This feeling helps bring you to a more serene place to get you to spend more but in reality you are in store in a mall not a beach. Of course feelings lie. Feelings are an illusion - an attachment to a certain emotion. An attachment to a memory. You can change your feelings towards things. I used to get rage when someone would cut me off...I am now able to change this through meditation.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

"If we were all to sit in a circle and confess our sins, we would laugh at each other for lack of originality". ~ Kahlil Gibran

Maybe the same would hold true with our "feelings" ?

Being and becoming. Now I have a whole new concept to study...
Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Spending my first years in hospital from 11 months to 2.5 years changed me into what I am. I'm not really attached normally to things, or people, as a result of those early years.
You attach yourself all the time - in this thread there are numerous examples of you attaching yourself to when you were an athlete to being disabled.

My suggestion is perhaps its in this attachment that lies part of the problem. Feelings are attaching an emotion to a memory.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Feeling lie because feelings are your intellect lying to you. You have attached to your feelings, which is why intellectually you are going through this. You are not you thoughts just like you are not your feelings. Think about it. Why do you feel happy - because its a nice day? You have attached to the ideation that things will go well because the weather is nice out. Feelings in my experience are all about attachment. Perhaps that is one of the issues going on here Rob...your attaching to certain ideation that you should detach from?

Food for thought...
My intellect and my feelings are very distinctive and it is not true for me that my feelings somehow lie to me in some relationship with my intellect. Certainly my mind can lie to me. Like a rug.

My feelings? Not so much.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
p***enger

Dear Robby, I really, really can't imagine what you're going through. But my grandfather had both of his legs amputated, and at some point he chose to withdraw entirely into himself. He lived to be old, but more and more he withdrew, and not in a positive or spiritual way, but in a dark, negative way, until the last several years of his life he stopped speaking, and the last year he refused to feed himself -- he would accept being spoon fed. He apparently just didn't care to live, but couldn't and wouldn't die.

I don't think that path was inevitable for him. He chose it incrementally over time. He wouldn't ask for help or accept his weakness and he hated himself for needing help and being what he thought was weak. He could have been an inspiration to his family, but he had a very narrow view of what makes a man.

I don't see you as narrow or negative in that way. When one door closes, another is revealed. It may take time for your eyes to get accustomed to the different light in the room you're in, & to find the next door opening, but I'm sure you'll find it, and that for you, it will lead you somewhere beautiful.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

feelings don't lie?

the two don't belong together, i'm thinking. different categories. feelings neither lie nor are true. they have nothing to do with honesty/dishonesty. they just are. and then they change.

a little more difficult with what seems more like rooted "core"-feelings. i get that.

am also thinking that seeing things in fail/succeed and good/bad and win/loose terms is adding to your desperate place. this i'm saying because i see you put things in those either/or terms in this thread over and over, and because i used to find my own safety there for a long time. a fake safety, mind you, but felt more secure than letting go of either/or. i used that as an anchor.

you asked at one point what to let go of....maybe the failure/success view might be a beginning?

It is unclear how I can deal with my escape desires and still deal with things.
hm...in one way, and do please say if it's way off base...this seems a lot like a newcomer to sobriety; i mean: we've been there, all of us, in different circumstances, but with similar need to deal with escape desires and still deal with things...

maybe something helpful will show itself if you look at it that way? sorry if i'm misunderstanding.

oh! are you using "feelings" more in the sense of "sensation" rather than "emotion"?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
You attach yourself all the time - in this thread there are numerous examples of you attaching yourself to when you were an athlete to being disabled.

My suggestion is perhaps its in this attachment that lies part of the problem. Feelings are attaching an emotion to a memory.
I didn't say I don't attach. I did say I don't do so normally.
I do agree that some attachments are not healthy for me, and others are however.

Feelings are not just attachments though, is my opinion. Feelings can exist on their own merit, unattached.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
p***enger

As for feelings not lying, I'd say I agree. No more than a table lies. Mistaking a feeling for a fact can lead people to make wrong decisions, but the feeling itself is real. Also we adopt associations among feelings that can be dangerous and unhealthy. Like associating feelings of pleasure with feelings of shame. It's the job of many an alcoholic to understand where the feelings come from, to know why they're there and how to respond to them. It's not our feelings that are so often incorrect; it's the way we think about them.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Do you believe that your feelings are static? Or can your feelings about something change?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Dear Robby, I really, really can't imagine what you're going through. But my grandfather had both of his legs amputated, and at some point he chose to withdraw entirely into himself. He lived to be old, but more and more he withdrew, and not in a positive or spiritual way, but in a dark, negative way, until the last several years of his life he stopped speaking, and the last year he refused to feed himself -- he would accept being spoon fed. He apparently just didn't care to live, but couldn't and wouldn't die.

I don't think that path was inevitable for him. He chose it incrementally over time. He wouldn't ask for help or accept his weakness and he hated himself for needing help and being what he thought was weak. He could have been an inspiration to his family, but he had a very narrow view of what makes a man.

I don't see you as narrow or negative in that way. When one door closes, another is revealed. It may take time for your eyes to get accustomed to the different light in the room you're in, & to find the next door opening, but I'm sure you'll find it, and that for you, it will lead you somewhere beautiful.
Thanks for that, Courage. I'm sorry for your loss of your grandfather in such a way. Some amputees do suffer into themselves. This has not happened to me. And will not happen. I'm not a victim here. The amputations for me were all elective. They are also all successful. My quality of life has greatly improved. I'm okay.

((Courage))
Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fini View Post
oh! are you using "feelings" more in the sense of "sensation" rather than "emotion"?
That works for me!!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Do you believe that your feelings are static? Or can your feelings about something change?
They can change. To become static, I need to have a specific resentment in place to make that so. Otherwise, they are free to change as they desire.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Ok then, sensations don't lie? I don't understand...

Otherwise, they are free to change as they desire.
As they desire? Do you have the ability to change the way you feel about something? Or it just happens that the feelings change on their own?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
As for feelings not lying, I'd say I agree. No more than a table lies. Mistaking a feeling for a fact can lead people to make wrong decisions, but the feeling itself is real. Also we adopt associations among feelings that can be dangerous and unhealthy. Like associating feelings of pleasure with feelings of shame. It's the job of many an alcoholic to understand where the feelings come from, to know why they're there and how to respond to them. It's not our feelings that are so often incorrect; it's the way we think about them.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
p***enger

Yeah, well I just finished my 4th step today. Talk about a person who's taken really normal understandable feelings and had completely screwed up thoughts about them and then taken insane actions....!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Ok then, sensations don't lie? I don't understand...

As they desire? Do you have the ability to change the way you feel about something? Or it just happens that they change on their own?
I seem unable to change my feelings. They can fade. They can flame. I don't have exact control. Not so with my thoughts though. I can easily control my thoughts.

My feelings... not so much. Never could. Its not an alcoholism thing. I think it has direct relationship to the abuse I felt. I don't have words for these feelings that stick. The words slide off and the feelings remain fuzzy and undefined other than I recognize patterns and I'm familiar with the sameness.

I am clearly able to feel my feelings though. My descriptors are fuzzy. My feelings are clear. Hope I'm making sense enough to get across my meaning.

As for sensations vs feelings, these are one and the same for me when I "think on them"

I can block feelings out quite easily. The price I pay is it costs me in loneliness. The more I block, the more lonely I feel because I become just a robot.