Notices

Innards damaged from alcohol

Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Innards damaged from alcohol

I don't know where else to put this post...but I'm curious about the adverse health effects others have experienced from years of alcohol abuse.

My digestive system is really out of whack. I'm afraid I blew out my pancreas from all the drinking. I have diabetes-like symptoms even though I'm a skinny dude. I'm trying to cut back on carbs and sugar in the hopes that I'll be able to turn things around.

Of course, my brain is full of holes, too. My short term memory is shot to heck. I can't remember where I put my reading glasses 5 seconds ago.

Drinking is so freakin' stupid.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I had failing vision, stiff neck and a host of other symptoms that were mostly neuropathy from enlarged heart. I also smoked for 38 yrs. Malnutrition caused a lot of symptoms due to the constant alcohol not allowing absorption in the lower GI. I started supplementing a month prior to quitting and at 80+ days only have the stiff neck thing. The pancreas is an important organ--what does your doc say?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
I don't know where else to put this post...but I'm curious about the adverse health effects others have experienced from years of alcohol abuse.

My digestive system is really out of whack. I'm afraid I blew out my pancreas from all the drinking. I have diabetes-like symptoms even though I'm a skinny dude. I'm trying to cut back on carbs and sugar in the hopes that I'll be able to turn things around.

Of course, my brain is full of holes, too. My short term memory is shot to heck. I can't remember where I put my reading glasses 5 seconds ago.

Drinking is so freakin' stupid.
Go to a doctor, ASAP!!!!! Go to detox now!!!!! Find a recovery centre with atleast a 30 day treatment plan. The adverse affects of alcohol drinking is lengthy, and long. In the end you die from it.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah my digestive system took a hammering, but recovered after quitting!!

Have you been to a Dr to get checked out?!!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JD, please listen to what your body is telling you. While some digestive complaints and foggy brain are normal during the detox and recovery phase, it sounds like you think this isn't the problem.

Cutting out sugar won't help reverse diabetes. Your body needs sugar from a metabolic standpoint, to survive. The pancreas helps provide the insulin "key" that gets the sugar into the cells. Between pancreas and liver, they make a number of important enzymes and complete processes that you need to digest, metabolize, and eliminate toxins.

It's scary as heck when you think your boys is broken because of something you've done. But - isn't it better to KNOW and treat yourself properly going forward, to give yourself the highest possibility of optimal health, than denying or avoiding and risking further damage? Not knowing is very, very risky, even if knowing happens to be something terrible (which often it's not).

Please, schedule a visit with your primary care physician as soon as possible. Be upfront and honest about your drinking. They are there to help.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Book doc apt to have digestive mot test

Hope it goes well jd
Old 09-04-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, my yearly exam is overdue and I'm afraid to go. I want to be sober for awhile first. Stomach and digestive problems, failing eyesight to where I need new glasses, osteoporosis, dry wrinkled scaly skin from dehydration, hair loss, hypoglycemia, depression. My mental abilities have improved though with Bacopa. I'm 65.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Doc apt best solution
Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Even if we were allowed on this website to give medical advice there is no way to know much without checking your blood enzymes. Please see a doctor and get comprehensive bloodwork done. Be honest with them how much you are drinking and what symptoms you are having.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also hope that you talk to a dr. You need to take care of yourself.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had gastro problems galore and other health issues directly related to my drinking. Thankfully most of them got better after I quit, I would urge you to see a doc to find out what kind of damage was actually done. You can then work on a plan to make them better.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I do need to get into the doc--especially before the insurance changes that take effect in 2015.

When I quit for seven months last year, many of my issues got much better. But like the addicted moron that I am, I started in again this year--and what do you know, my symptoms reappeared.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had digestive problems (went to bathroom several times a day), memory issues (not so much short term, but, I couldn't remember people's names even though I could picture their face), shoulder pains, occasional chest pains, headaches, and others.

All have gotten better, except for foggy brain and memory issues. I'm only 18 days sober, I hope those two issues improve also with time.

pakman
Old 09-04-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Heh. Part of my leaky brain issues are from age...but much of them result from a lot of substance abuse over the years.

Remember when you were young and thought, "whatever, I'll worry about that when I'm old". Well, here I am old, and I'm definitely worrying.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I experienced those symptoms just a few months ago. I'm 27 and I take 5 pills a day for depression, anxiety, blood pressure, cholesterol, and my vitamin D level. My worst detox was when I went three days without food or sleep. Landed me in the ER while I was hallucinating. My electrolytes were very low; when you sweat for 3 days you lose a lot of sodium, potassium, and calcium lol.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Although obviously I did not experience it the most common is death either directly or indirectly. Alcohol kills countless people. Alcoholism has one out come. Either we quit or we die. Sometimes soon sometimes later. My Dad was 84 and he died. Was it alcohol or old age the answer is both
Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

good luck with the doctor - please go asap.

I had terrible stomach problems, acid reflux and constant pain. I no longer have acid issues and my gi system seems to have repaired itself. but my vision is getting worse since I quit.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mine was mostly digestive issues. One average when i was drinking i would vomit 4 or five times a day. Usually when i was trying to eat.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My alcohol abuse caused an ulcer on my duodenum that exploded and blew a hole through my stomach. Absolutely the worst pain ever that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. With all the time I spent worrying about my liver, kidneys, and pancreas I never thought that would be a result. Felt like someone kicked me in the stomach constantly with a pair of steel-toed boots. Not telling a war story here, just speaking about my month in the hospital earlier this year.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please dont minimize your drinking, I know I used to.