Notices
View Poll Results: do you still go to a pub/bar ?
yes
42.15%
no
57.85%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still go to pubs/bars

Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Whats the point unless real valid reason. I did couple mths ago to watch World Cup coz no cable in this house otherwise would have been just as happy. Then before that can't even remember
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Not usually. I didn't do very much drinking in bars once it got bad anyway. I didn't want anyone to see me like that. I was waiting at a bar for almost 2 hours today. I had lunch and the person I was with had a couple drinks with lunch. No trigger. I did once pick up a pizza from a bar about 6 months in. The smell of stale spilt alcohol made me queasy.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Never been a bar person. Restaurants I will have an occasional drink, but its pricey. I would rather drink at home. Most often drinking alone has been my MO over the years.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Might as well keep going as virtually everywhere i have to be serves alcohol. Just have soda, juice, or coffee instead of booze.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

No but then I never went to bars when I drank. Did it all at home behind closed curtains!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Not pubs or bars. Every once in awhile somebody will ask my husband and me out to dinner at a legitimate restaurant with a fancy brewery attached. I'm all right, but it's definitely not my preference. I'd rather eat fast food than go to dinner there.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Frankly, I'm so disgusted by what I did to myself with alcohol in various neighborhood bars that I avoid them at all costs. As a "hard-liner" who doesn't think anyone with a drinking problem has any business in a bar, I guess I'm an out-liar...
Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

thenewguy - I am not too hard line on anything, but you and me see eye-to-eye on this. In my case, I steer clear at almost all costs. I'm 39 years old and the bar scene is yesterday's news. Move forward with your new life, I say. There's more out there than TGI Friday's, folks. Good luck to all, regardless.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I LOVE bars....all sorts of bars. Dive bars, sports bars, high class wine and cocktail bars, music bars. Football, pool, music, bar food, drinks and more drinks, crap talk, say up all night, the camaraderie...the lot. LOVE IT.
My AV will be telling me and has been telling me that giving this all up is in fact giving up life. My plan will need to include ways to fill those gaps.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

for me the answer is both yes and no.......

yes in the past I would go to enjoy a live band or play music, but that was a number of years ago with a number of years sobriety

no currently as I am in no ways out of the woods.....don't want to get a haircut if you get my drift........

when well anything is possible.

when sick.......well.......y'know

peace

v
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yes.. as long as I have a purpose. I am musician, so I'll go to play or watch some live music.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I voted no because I would have no reason to go to a pub unless I wanted to drink. Having said that, if company was going to a particular pub/bar to have a lunch/dinner etc, then of course I would go. Or if they were meeting at a bar venue etc then again I would go, but to sit in a pub all night or go pub crawling (as in my drinking days) definitely not.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Freethinker

I watched about 5-6 world cup games in bars this year, met friends who are remarkably able to stop at two, and left immediately after. The occasional birthday party or or other gathering at a bar is really no problem for me, but I do have supportive friends, and I also don't particularly care when someone asks me why I don't drink. I'll give them the short version, ("used to, don't now"), which invariably seems good enough for most people.

I do really enjoy live music, and that means I occasionally go to drinking venues. Soda water and a buck to the bartender, no problem.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

I'll still go to bars as my family and friends drink. I choose not to. The atmosphere can be a turn off after a while now. Seems so pointless to me now to get intoxicated, act a fool and then pay for it the next day.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
No but then I never went to bars when I drank. Did it all at home behind closed curtains!
Same here, the last thing I would have wanted when I was active is some drunk trying to talk to me while I was drinking
For me drinking was a very selfish thing I did in complete isolation. From the get go, there was never anything social about my drinking.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I will still go watch a football game at Buffalo Wild Wings = Restaurant/sports bar.

So yes and no. Won't go to just a pub/bar in what I consider to fall into the tavern category in the US, SW.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Freethinker

I should mention, when I do go into bars, for the world cup games for example, I tell my friends that it is my pick. I generally want a bright place, with windows, and not a dark, skanky dive.

I drank alone at my worst, and the bars I frequented, alone, were pretty dark holes.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wow just been re-reading this thread and i want to thank everyone for such great imput

glad i started this thread, thanks again.....keep posting
Old 11-22-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I voted "no", but I was recently in a pub with my non-A but steady friend.
I came back from the Loo and she was laughing at me.
I asked what was so funny and she said it was obvious I don't go to pubs much anymore.
How come?
Well, I greeted the doorman, the barman, anyone that passed by.
When I went to the bar, i looked at everyone in the eye, tidied a few glasses at the counter, greeted everyone with a smile, male and female on the way back, chatted with a guy on crutches and so on.
I forgot to play all the bar games!
I was like EllyMay!
Completely unsophisticated.
I had a lovely evening.
I said a big goodnight to all my new friends on the way out and the doorman of course!
Oh, and I think I might have been the only "lady" to be assisted with my jacket by a nice young man with no expectations of anything.
LOL
I am completely out of the dress thing though.
Oh my God, I am so glad I am not a young 20 something going out now.
Those heels!

I would definitely not advise someone trying to get sober to be in a bar.
I go to pub/restaurants for a meal etc.
Like a lot of people, my drinking had become home drinking so the pub is not where I would be triggered.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I voted no. When I was younger most of my drinking was at bars, in the end it was all at home. Going out to restaurants / bars to eat doesn't bother me now, being at home was a bigger trigger.