Notices
View Poll Results: Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?
Yes
9.28%
No
90.72%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Personally I'll take pizza, with ANCHOVIES.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

[email protected] is not where normies are to be found coz answer is always going to be a deafening NO
Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
I think most of us have tried and to differing degrees of success. I was okay when I was in a controlled environment. But it simply opened the floodgates for more booze. Ex: go to a bridal shower, have one or 2 glasses of wine, because you are not gonna get stupid in front of your aunts, cousins, etc. Moderating...absolutely. YOU have to be somewhere else, so can't drink anymore. hmmn. but its still in your mind, I haven't had enough, have I. IT may not be that day, or the next. but for me, I won't make it 3 days w/o a crazy binge of several days, days I can't recall. SO? can you? I guess, you can call it moderation. Is it sustainable? NO. In the way of my drinking patterns, I would have been better off ddrinking my usual way, because it was not binge-ing. IT was more my daily 'need' of 1.5 to 2 bottles of wine a day. WHEN I felt I was being good, I'd completely over do it andbe a complete mess. so moderation was worse for me. Does this make sense to anyone other than myself?
Completely. Trying to "be good" made me resentful and bitter and in a few days I'd seek release in a binge. My main binge drinking occurred AFTER I started trying to cut back -- when I drank at an admittedly high daily maintenance level I got in lots less trouble than when I was bingeing.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

moderation is boring... It's either all or nothing with me with drinking so I'll stick with nothing
Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

60 to 3 is there a pattern emerging here?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

imo if a person can answer yes to that question then they are either A) Not alcoholic B) In Denial or C) Have a misunderstanding of the definition of Alcoholic.

I used to question whether i could moderate.

I'm alcoholic though,

I can't.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I always thought I could. Turned out im the only one that felt that way. Then I realized that my moderation was full blown alcoholism. Its a progressive disease. Very insidious. Fools ya right to the grave.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Moderation was contrary to my concept of successful drinking from the very beginning. Initially I was uninterested in moderation, ultimately I was incapable of it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Its a question with a very complicated answer.

I know from my experience (and what Ive also heard from many others), is that you may manage to drink in moderation for a while and you may not immediately go off the deep end...but eventually it always seems to lead back to square one.

The last two times that I had been doing well for awhile, I ended up thinking that it seemed perfectly reasonable to just take a "night off" from sobriety (wasnt intending to get that drunk either of those times) and then get right back on track. Both times, those nights off led right back into the obsession and many many more nights/days/mornings of heavy drinking.

At some point, some of us just have to admit and realize that attempting to drink responsibly is an exercise in futility. The two options for us are basically either

1. SOMEHOW manage to "control" it, and not enjoy it as a result.

2. Not manage to "control" it, and then end up throwing ourselves back into the hell that we have fought to get out of.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Do your best

There is no such thing as moderation I will never be convinced of a lie
Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I don't consider putting a poison into my body in any amount a success... when I let go of the idea that "moderate" or "normal" drinking was a great lifestyle and something to be envied is when I stopped craving alcohol.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It's impossible for me. If I drink one drink of alcohol I will drink until I am sleeping somewhere. There is no other way. That's why I'm not going to drink at all.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

No!! And I tried for six years, over and over.

If I take ONE drink, I immediately crave more. And not just for that day or night. The past two times I relapsed, I had to go to detox to stop.

Day 54 here, and taking campral and Antabuse, doing iop 4 days a week, have two therapists, a shrink, and go to AA.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

alchohol always makes me less motivated. right now, at this point in my recovery (about a month) I would definitely and very definitively say NO!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Day 54 here, and taking campral and Antabuse, doing iop 4 days a week, have two therapists, a shrink, and go to AA.
You might like this Elisabeth...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MLK-Quote.jpg (76.9 KB, 510 views)
Old 09-04-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Nope. I was never interested in drinking moderately. I never had a social drink. And if the drinking age was 21 at the time I would barely have had a legal drink.

My concept of moderation was if I didn't wake up or come out of a blackout in a hospital or lying on the ground.

Based on my experience, I have no reason to believe a pickle can be turned back into a cucumber. Hats off to anyone who can do otherwise.

-a
Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Oh my God NOOOOOOO!!!!!! I experimented with that thousands of times.

I could either try to control my drinking or enjoy it. If I couldn't get totally drunk I didn't enjoy it at all.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?

no, it has been proven over and over again in my past that I can not

MM
Old 09-04-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry but the 4 votes I think are made by the same person

This person was heavy in favour of moderation iI think that person is guest voting ?

Funny how someone will vote yes and won't back it up

I know who this person is I think but ain't it funny there is no argument for yes its just a yes vote

Wine and champagne ???
Old 09-04-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Sorry but the 4 votes I think are made by the same person
It's possible if he/she used 4 different logins... Doesn't really matter though. The question keeps coming up. Many would like to. Some have argued they believe it's possible. I believe it might be for some. Not so sure I want to be a guinea pig though, yet again. This pig's bacon. Risk/reward ratio sucks. State lottery's a LOT better and I don't play that. Many here have said the kewpie doll prize ain't very attractive anyway.