Notices

Drama in the home....

Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drama in the home....

I came here a couple of weeks ago, armed with my resolve, my counselor, and was ready to tear into some good sobriety time.

And I did. For a week or so.

However, one thing that continues to happen is this: my wife and I experience some pretty large ups and downs in our relationship (more story than anyone cares to hear), but boy, when she gets mad, she gets MAD. As in, there's no talking to each other, she'll sleep on the couch, big blow-out fights, the works.

Yeah, we work through out issues, but it's so insanely stressful and upsetting that I'm ultimately sucked back into my way to escape.

Hear me that I'm not blaming her, because I must learn how to FEEL, but damn, it feels like clockwork that I'll quit and then we instantly have these huge flare-ups.

Any suggestions on how to weather a storm like this? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome

No, unfortunately I am not very good at such advice, but I believe that spending time doing really nice things together (long walks, nice lunch, picnic, whatever) can help any couple to relax and open up enough to talk ahead of big blow up fights / arguments.

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this too!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Is your wife in recovery or is it because you relapsed that she is mad at you ?

These situations have to be avoided in sobriety this doesn't sound good at all

You can't blame anything or anyone if you drink I'm not being mean but its the truth if you drink its because you made a conscious choice to

If you feel like that again phone a trusted friend go to a mtn come on here and post but pls don't drink it just ain't worth it

Is it ?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793 View Post
I came here a couple of weeks ago, armed with my resolve, my counselor, and was ready to tear into some good sobriety time.

However, one thing that continues to happen is this: my wife and I experience some pretty large ups and downs in our relationship (more story than anyone cares to hear), but boy, when she gets mad, she gets MAD. As in, there's no talking to each other, she'll sleep on the couch, big blow-out fights, the works.

Yeah, we work through out issues, but it's so insanely stressful and upsetting that I'm ultimately sucked back into my way to escape.

Hear me that I'm not blaming her, because I must learn how to FEEL, but damn, it feels like clockwork that I'll quit and then we instantly have these huge flare-ups.

Two thought! It takes two to fight, so don't fight. If you don't fight, that will nullify the excuse you're using to drink.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you are both co-dependant and enablers. Deep down you probably enjoy the fights, but maybe not.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My wife and I used to fight much more when I was drinking. Since I stopped not so much. She still drinks. My actions and more importantly reactions have definitely changed for the better. If I dwell on something I may tend to argue and when I don't dwell I don't have many reasons to fight. Have you thought about trying to stop for 30 days? I bet you'd find things wold mellow out for you and your wife.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You hit the nail on the head when you said that you need to learn how to feel. My counselor and I had a very long session about what it was like to actually experience a normal level of anxiety, sadness, worry, happiness, joy, (etc) without medicating it, enhancing it, or numbing it. The ability to do that has been one of the major cornerstones of my recovery. It's hard, really hard.. but so worth it.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

People become angry when they are not getting what they want. Only you can fill in the blank on what this could possibly be.

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is it possible that you are irritable without alcohol and getting snippy? Just guessing but if fights seem to be occuring every time you quit maybe you are exuding some nervous anger which she is picking up on.

If you determine that to be the case just explain to her how anxious you feel when you are trying to quit. Just try to give it enough time for the edge to come off and get some space when you need it before things get out of hand. I am sure if you stay sober long enough your emotions will get more in balance. All that said, we can only guess advice without seeing both sides of the arguments for ourselves.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No real good advice. Only that alcohol makes everything worse.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Plenty of people with f***ed up home lives stay sober so really that's no excuse. Next time, try NOT buying a bottle and NOT throwing it down your throat.

I haven't got the answer to your marital issues, but I can assure you that if you put together some continuous sober time you have a good shot at sorting it out.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely don't use this as an excuse to give up on sobriety. Our minds have clever ways of deceiving us.

Communication is key. I know when I drank with my wife it was easy to bicker about the silliest of things. I was so easy to offend and way too sensitive. Completely ignited and fueled by alcohol. If your wife is drinking to excess (not sure you didn't say) well then I think you get the point.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your relationship sounds very toxic. Have you checked out the friends and family sub-forum here at SR?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks to you all.

My wife does not drink.

It's not withdrawal anxiety or anything like that - I'm aware to be on the lookout for that and work diligently to ensure I'm not simply snapping and reacting to things that don't require a response.

our marriage isn't "toxic", it's struggling. We've been through a lot in the past several years, and we're both pretty worn out. Some of it ties back to drinking, and much of it does not. She's got her struggles, and I've got mine.

I was just wondering if people had any good advice on how to response and defuse explosive situations during the early days of sobriety.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It sounds very codependent to me. You might find AlAnon more helpful for work on the relationship.

One of the things that sobreity and then recovery provides is the destruction of our illusions. If this is a repeating cycle, getting sober for a short period and then sucked back in as you put it there might be somethign more going on. We often choose mates based on share interests. When one gets sober this can create a whole different level of issues in the relationship.

What you described does infact sound quite toxic - sorry.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovered

For newly sober:

1. Disengage. (one word, but HARD). Do it. Disengage. I did it for 9 months before my marriage got better. We then started couples and individual counseling and we are better than ever. I spent those months busting my *ss on sobriety.
2. Don't use this situation as an excuse to drink. (yes, I said excuse) Many of us say we can't get sober until __________________(our homelife improves, we get a job, our wife comes back, our court date is done). We get sober in spite of these reasons. No person can keep us from our sobriety.
3. Focus on YOUR recovery. (spouse needs to focus on hers). When you worry about YOUR side of the street and not her side, you can plainly see what is yours and what is not. My favorite saying out of this is, "not my circus and not my monkeys". If it isn't your baggage, don't pick it up.

Disengaging doesn't mean NOT being of service or not being a husband. It DOES mean that the problems are not going to get solved today. Time takes time. It is well worth the work, regardless of outcome.

Glad you are here. :-)
Old 09-03-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
For newly sober:

1. Disengage. (one word, but HARD). Do it. Disengage. I did it for 9 months before my marriage got better. We then started couples and individual counseling and we are better than ever. I spent those months busting my *ss on sobriety.
2. Don't use this situation as an excuse to drink. (yes, I said excuse) Many of us say we can't get sober until __________________(our homelife improves, we get a job, our wife comes back, our court date is done). We get sober in spite of these reasons. No person can keep us from our sobriety.
3. Focus on YOUR recovery. (spouse needs to focus on hers). When you worry about YOUR side of the street and not her side, you can plainly see what is yours and what is not. My favorite saying out of this is, "not my circus and not my monkeys". If it isn't your baggage, don't pick it up.

Disengaging doesn't mean NOT being of service or not being a husband. It DOES mean that the problems are not going to get solved today. Time takes time. It is well worth the work, regardless of outcome.

Glad you are here. :-)
THANK YOU. There's the advice I was hoping for.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Counselling. If you two cannot communicate without you numbing your feelings with drink, and her without getting stark raging mad, counselling is what I would suggest. It's hard to unlearn toxic communication patterns, especially when you both bring your own issues to the table.
"MAD" as you describe it is not a normal or healthy reaction. Mad as you describe it is a controlling tactic. The fact that it is cyclical infers to me that your relationship is more troubled than you think.
I'd suggest employing something like IMAGO to try to communicate with each other. It takes practice and work, but it can help diffuse and eliminate some of the communication triggers that some couples face. You can find examples of IMAGO on YouTube or other sites on the web.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Keep drinking and you won't have a wife!