Notices

The guilt

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The guilt

How do you get over the guilt of when you mess up so bad? This weekend I just acted crazy to the guy I'm dating showing up at his apt and basically just passing out outside his door after leaving him horrible voice mails. He said he still wants to hang out but wanted to give it a little while to make sure I wouldn't act all crazy again. I'm completely normal when not drinking and would never act like that. I just keep thinking of how I could have been different if I only didnt go to the store to get another bottle. I know i can't change it now but ughh. This happened on Sat night and I haven't talked to him since. Just trying to give him space. just text him how sorry I was. Can't stop thinking about it though
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, there were 2 ways to get over the guilt - 1) Keep drinking to shove those feelings down or 2) Stop drinking completely and permanently, behave differently, and consistently, and as time passes that guilt will fade.

I haven't drank in almost 8 months now, and I never feel guilty anymore over my behavior. I never embarrass myself. I never black out. I never have crippling anxiety. People are beginning to trust me again that I won't turn into "that person."

Best to you -
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lost

i think we all had stories that we are not proud of. trust me i have mine and makes my want to hid my face around certain people. but the fact is you passes out at his door after leaving those voice mails. it is in the past, you cannot change that, what was done is done.
so i would move on, and mark that up as what happens when you drink, and another reason not to drink. you said you were sorry and that is all you can do for him. as for you, you can make the change of being sober.
that is how i think after some of the stupid things i did.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lostgirll View Post
I'm completely normal when not drinking...
I think the key is right there...not drinking. Guilt about what you did Saturday will fade. Sobriety will ensure you stop doing things to feel guilty about.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

time.
trust me, you aren't the only drinker who has done things they wish they could erase. I have 2 DUI's I can never take away. I could sit and wallow in anger/guilt all day long, but where would that get me? Most likely, back to booze. NO.
At some point, you just get to the point where enough is enough.
But what's done is done. We cannot go back. I've found the only way to "make up" (if that's even the right term??) to people we have hurt or embarrassed ourselves around...is time and moving forward doing the RIGHT thing. Which means = don't drink.

I don't know how long you have been seeing this guy, but if he's a "normie"...you probably won't get too many more chances to act like that before he walks.
Are you ready to stop drinking?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

My neighbours hated me and I mean hated

They now see me and think nothing of it like it almost didn't happen but it still happened in my head I can't forgive myself for some of the things I done to myself and others but at the same time I don't beat myself up no more sort of like forgiven but not forgotten

Its gets easier all the time the more you learn from it
Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
i would move on, and mark that up as what happens when you drink, and another reason not to drink.
That's a good point, in general I think...
Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if you aren't learning something from these mistakes....that's potential for some major problems.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

time.. and sobriety.. Trust me I'm feeling guilty over this weekend also. It was close family that got to see drunk me.. Honesty I thought before I flew home there would be some kind of intervention.. I was prepared but afraid. Luckily we realize this lifestyle has to stop for ourselves and got on here. Let's move forward and let the guilt wash away over time
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostgirll View Post
How do you get over the guilt of when you mess up so bad? This weekend I just acted crazy to the guy I'm dating showing up at his apt and basically just passing out outside his door after leaving him horrible voice mails. He said he still wants to hang out but wanted to give it a little while to make sure I wouldn't act all crazy again. I'm completely normal when not drinking and would never act like that. I just keep thinking of how I could have been different if I only didnt go to the store to get another bottle. I know i can't change it now but ughh. This happened on Sat night and I haven't talked to him since. Just trying to give him space. just text him how sorry I was. Can't stop thinking about it though
Ya we all played that "Sorry" tape and repeated it so many times. What is a different word you can use then sorry, cuz sorry just doesnt cut it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The hard truth is that it is a good likelihood that you will lose this relationship (unless he also has substance abuse issues, and then the two of you can dance the cycle of crazy behavior and forgiveness together).

I lost my last relationship with crazy drunken behavior also.

I got sober.

I haven't tried to restore that relationship. I did apologize. Truth is that he was also drinking very heavily and - honestly - I know that I will ultimately relapse if I try to return to that story. I also realize that he isn't the person I would want to share my growing, sober life with.

They say in AA that we're willing to "go to any lengths" to get sober. Whenever I hear that saying, I think about him, and the ending and loss of that relationship. It actually helps me to not drink, because it cost me something (I did value him), and I don't want that loss to have been for nothing.

I hate my angry, unpredictable, wacko-girl behavior that emerges (sometimes) when I'm drunk. Most of the time I'm funny and loving, but then - whoosh - crazy girl appears. That never ever happens sober. I am done with shame. I have swum in shame, almost always related to my drunken behavior in relationship. I am swimming in clear clean refreshing water now, and I hope to never feel that way again.

If it is true love, he will appreciate and support your sobriety, and ultimately the relationship will be healthy and your behavior forgiven as he sees you change.

If it is a mutual attraction/sexy friendship, then it is okay to let it go and heal yourself. You can always try again with him later. Or, you can start something fresh, knowing that you can trust yourself as a sober partner to not act out. Shame-free, drama-free relationship... yum...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
time.
trust me, you aren't the only drinker who has done things they wish they could erase. I have 2 DUI's I can never take away. I could sit and wallow in anger/guilt all day long, but where would that get me? Most likely, back to booze. NO.
At some point, you just get to the point where enough is enough.
But what's done is done. We cannot go back. I've found the only way to "make up" (if that's even the right term??) to people we have hurt or embarrassed ourselves around...is time and moving forward doing the RIGHT thing. Which means = don't drink.

I don't know how long you have been seeing this guy, but if he's a "normie"...you probably won't get too many more chances to act like that before he walks.
Are you ready to stop drinking?
Since January. I wouldn't say he's exactly "normal" either though. I just want to take it back though. What ifs do nothing though
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Ya we all played that "Sorry" tape and repeated it so many times. What is a different word you can use then sorry, cuz sorry just doesnt cut it.
I am\was WRONG!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My wife used to say to me that sorry wasnt going to work this time.Which used to **** me off when she said that.Nothing could fix me but a change of lifestyle. Thank God for new ideas.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Really it's just time. And sobriety, which guarantees you won't behave the same way again. I've gone round and round in my head about all the awful things I did, the dangerous situations I put myself in, etc.. and really all I can do is stay vigilant in recovery/sobriety and that guarantees I will never ever fall off in a fit of drunken decisions again. Over time, that guilt and worry has diminished greatly.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

how do i post something new?

cant find it. this always happens with this site. shd be easier
Old 12-20-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

top of the page on the left there is a button that says New Thread
Old 12-20-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Two ways to handle guilt. 1) Stop doing what makes me feel guilty or 2) Learn to live with it.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Two ways to handle guilt. 1) Stop doing what makes me feel guilty or 2) Learn to live with it.
...and sometimes, one may need to do both.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-20-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

I got sober and worked those 12 steps. life saving steps for me.