Notices

after detox?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a bit out there

after detox?

Hi friends. Wish I had better news to report,

I've been drinking heavily and I won't sugarcoat things.

I've got benzos and crates of medical supplies within arm's reach. I hate needles, and pills make me want to throw up.

I also spend most of my free time reading about this sort of thing.

Social anxiety may be big for me, but why?

Extreme alcoholism may be my diagnosis, so I wonder, what next? What happens after detox
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Up to you.

You might try and do less reading and more doing, with confidence or otherwise.
Most alcoholics need help in order to stay away from a drink.
I found that help in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. We're easy to find.
Other programmes to help you recover from alcoholism are available.
You have probably read about them as well.

Well done for accepting your alcoholism and being honest about it here.

I have not yet heard of one of us getting sober by reading.
Action is a key factor in our success.
Talking and listening to other alcoholics and accepting help makes it much easier.

Easy does it, hiddenzebra . . .

But, do it.

Just do it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

detox is just the first step HZ. The really long journey is staying sober.
If you can't do it on your own, or with SR, maybe you really need to consider recovery groups?

I know you have social anxiety - but doing nothing about your drinking is only going to make that problem worse.

D
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As Dee says, detox is just the start, we need a solid plan to follow on to to make sure we never end up there again.

What recovery methods have you tried up to now?

Most importantly though, welcome back.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get passed the detox, then the real work begins. You will find that the habitual behaviors are the hardest to conquer. Don't get complacent in those weeks following your detox. Your mind will play tricks on you, don't let it.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hiddenzebra View Post
Hi friends. Wish I had better news to report,

I've been drinking heavily and I won't sugarcoat things.

I've got benzos and crates of medical supplies within arm's reach. I hate needles, and pills make me want to throw up.

I also spend most of my free time reading about this sort of thing.

Social anxiety may be big for me, but why?

Extreme alcoholism may be my diagnosis, so I wonder, what next? What happens after detox
Rehab Facility
Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Alcoholics Anonymous : Find Local A.A.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
detox is just the first step HZ. The really long journey is staying sober.
If you can't do it on your own, or with SR, maybe you really need to consider recovery groups?

I know you have social anxiety - but doing nothing about your drinking is only going to make that problem worse.

D
Exactly this
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
a bit out there

hey,
thanks for reading,
and more thanks to those responding

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post, the detox part I've done numerous times. It hurts, sure. Already been to the bathroom countless times. Pretty sure I have whatever I need to get through detox, walking IV included. Always have the phone and 3 numbers to dial if things don't go well.

Curious what to do after. I've done AA and am considered a pillar of the community. Can give that community position up as easily as I can call in sick for the next week... well I already did that, called in sick, that is.

I drive a couple towns over for meetings. Tbh they mostly bore me and make me want to drink. Even just hanging out there has me wondering what to purchase on the way home.

Unit amount isn't real important to me, but hearing about giving up a total of two wine glasses a night, come on. Ok I understand they are hurting too, but this is different. Half a bottle of vodka and no one even suspects I'm buzzed. Not bragging, just remembering.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most recovery things have the propensity to be uncomfortable and unfamiliar to start with HZ.

Those were the very type of feelings we drank to avoid so it makes sense that working on your recovery might initially make you think of drinking for a while, but that gets better.

That's not really a suitable excuse to avoid doing those things tho - and you'd know as well as I do it's definitely not a reason to do nothing at all.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around nowadays- here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Check out things...find something that suits and work it 100% man
D
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I drive a couple towns over for meetings. Tbh they mostly bore me and make me want to drink. Even just hanging out there has me wondering what to purchase on the way home.
I had the same problem until I realized AA is not about the meetings; it's about the steps and using them to build a new life not centered on ourselves. The meetings are there to support this considerable effort.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey,
thanks for reading,
and more thanks to those responding

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post, the detox part I've done numerous times. It hurts, sure. Already been to the bathroom countless times. Pretty sure I have whatever I need to get through detox, walking IV included. Always have the phone and 3 numbers to dial if things don't go well.

Curious what to do after. I've done AA and am considered a pillar of the community. Can give that community position up as easily as I can call in sick for the next week... well I already did that, called in sick, that is.

Unit amount isn't real important to me, but hearing about giving up a total of two wine glasses a night, come on. Ok I understand they are hurting too, but this is different. Half a bottle of vodka and no one even suspects I'm buzzed. Not bragging, just remembering.

Hi. Your post is a good remember when for me fortunately, unfortunately my thinking got me deeper into the ism. I tried to out think and used the BUT word constantly. I wasn’t ready as they said I wanted to drink more than I wanted to get sober. Fortunately before it was too late for me and because of the pain I finally got honest about MY drinking and surrendered to the fact that I could not drink in safety.
I needed to go to meetingS and listen to identify the feelings expressed by those sharing. I found out that my feelings were the cause of my trying to escape by way of drinking so there was a lot of work needed to explore and change my undisciplined ways of handling them.
I became active in my groups and in that way became closer to those around me as a result, and I heeded the words of “KEEP COMING” we get better with time.

BE WELL