Notices

Concerns about AA meetings

Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I guess the question is would you rather deal with a cult like vibe that you are unsure of or an alcoholism vibe you are
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I guess the question is would you rather deal with a cult like vibe that you are unsure of or an alcoholism vibe you are
Or choose a completely different way of looking at your alcohol consumption. Many choices here, not simply those two options.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Allison,

You should be able to get out of court mandated attendance. It's a violation of your constitutional rights to be forced to attend a religious service. Although it would have been helpful to voice your concerns right from the beginning. I'll try to get some more details about how to do this from my wife. She works at a law office and has gotten several people out of mandatory attendance.

Wish you the best.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jason2 View Post
Allison,

You should be able to get out of court mandated attendance. It's a violation of your constitutional rights to be forced to attend a religious service. Although it would have been helpful to voice your concerns right from the beginning. I'll try to get some more details about how to do this from my wife. She works at a law office and has gotten several people out of mandatory attendance.

Wish you the best.
OP didn't say she is court ordered
Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's too bad that the only meeting available to you gives you such bad feelings. Just remember that most people get over the addiction without AA. You just never hear much about them, because they get the job done and move on with their lives.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Why would you really care about what other people think of you?
Secondly who really cares what people do after the meeting, so be it they can drink and party after the meeting, you can tell where their head space is at just by what they say in the meeting.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Allison,

You should be able to get out of court mandated attendance. It's a violation of your constitutional rights to be forced to attend a religious service.
This has not been ruled on by the SCOTUS yet, only the 9th appellate court which includes CA. If you are not in one of these western states you can get court ordered to AA if you are convicted of DUI.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
This has not been ruled on by the SCOTUS yet, only the 9th appellate court which includes CA. If you are not in one of these western states you can get court ordered to AA if you are convicted of DUI.
Forcing a prisoner or probationer to attend A.A. or N.A. or other religiously centered rehabilitation program is increasingly seen as a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. Courts from the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th Circuits have all explicitly or implicitly ruled that this is true. http://ffrf.org

Because the U.S. Supreme Court chooses to hear fewer than 100 of the more than 10,000 cases filed with it annually, the United States Courts of Appeals serve as the final arbiter on most federal cases. wikipedia.org
Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

LOL who really cares, get your buddy to sign the friggin slip and party on, or do whatever it is you want to do.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

as far as I know here in Lakeside, Ca
the El Cajon courts are still ordering ones to get court slips signed
but, no one has to do it -- it is a privilege
it is something one does to get reduced jail time, no jail time
or if one wishes to be driving after receiving a DUI

my grandfather refused many years ago and it was simple
the judge asked of him to surrender his drivers license - which he did

plus - it seems that the courts accept almost any kind of a meeting
signature from a devil worshiping group that signs slips would probably work

MM
Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4llison View Post
You forgot charismatic leader!
I'm fully aware of what cults ARE.

Being cult-like =/= actual cult.

It's honestly hard to explain, but I definitely got a bit of that vibe. It probably has everything to do with the small-size, and politics of my small towns users, and those in recovery.

In fact, in rehab years ago, in a bigger town, I didn't get that impression and even drove the hour, not court ordered, to go to meetings.

I'm not saying AA is a bad thing, and knew I probably shouldn't have mentioned it here. However, I am just trying to be honest about my apprehension.
Don't feel bad about your posts. IMO, AA does have cult-like qualities, such as thinking and acting a certain way. I could also go on and on about the similarities between religion and AA (to many to list). But, despite these shortcomings, I do go to the meetings to hear the message from other people, to find hope and a reason to stay sober, and to just be around other people that are in the same situation I'm in. That helps me a lot.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Hah! I really am hating you guys and all your logic in this thread! UGH!
Anyway, a good family friend who's son has been in AA for a while came over to talk to me earlier. I got his number. Been too scared to text so far, but I think I'm going to give it another chance here in a week or so!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Allison,

Wish you the best.
I'm not court ordered, or on "paper." Recently got out of all the trouble I was in by doing some jail time.

I'm stopping drinking for me.

I do agree that the religious aspect is a violation of ones constitutional rights if one is FORCED to attend! Thanks for responding!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Don't feel bad about your posts. IMO, AA does have cult-like qualities, such as thinking and acting a certain way. I could also go on and on about the similarities between religion and AA (to many to list). But, despite these shortcomings, I do go to the meetings to hear the message from other people, to find hope and a reason to stay sober, and to just be around other people that are in the same situation I'm in. That helps me a lot.
Thank You for saying that.
Honestly, just the esupport Ive gotten on here has been really helpful!
I've agreed to go with a family friend in the next couple weeks to give it a shot!
I HOPE it's different! I want to get the benefits those who swear by it do!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Allison,

Wish you the best.
Jason what would you use as an alternative considering that if ppl don't actually want to go and are forced then in my eyes its a good deterrent

I have trouble when you say its a violation if said alcoholic didn't violate there would be no violation in the first place

What would you do ?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

AA is not religious. Its a spiritual program of action!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

4llison -

We all wish you a lifelong recovery irrespective of the path you take to achieve it.

Consider the irony, though, in your statements that you have done time in jail (to get out of trouble), but that you are somehow apprehensive about going to an AA meeting (in part because you will likely see some of these very same people going there on a compulsory basis).

I would be a little less fearful of going to an AA meeting than to jail (where most levels of mental illness and many types of criminals pervade the population).

FWIW, I have been to both.

AA may or may not be for you, but, then again, recovery may or may not be for you.

I would take a shot at whatever was handy if I were you.

If you go for a few months and don't like it, you can quit going.

I wish you the best in continuing the recovery that you have begun.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Get a copy of the book and read it!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I went to about 10 or 15 meetings and decided it just isn't for me, at least not at this time, and at the meeting places I attended. I do read the Big Book, and some of the other literature on my own, and have benefited a lot from relating to some of the personal stories, the Steps, and other parts. There is no one way to approach AA, in my opinion. You can do what feels right to you, what works for you. And I do mean what actually works If on the other hand, you feel as if you actually need to attend meetings, then by all means go and keep an open mind. There is the saying to take what you need, and leave the rest... just keep that in mind and you should be fine. Live and let live
Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello. I've wanted to try a meeting also, but I'm in a small town also, I can't go anywhere w/o running into someone. I know its supposed to be anonymous, but??????? I've thought of waiting in the parking lot to see who goes in, I imagine myself with a newspaper over my face, with eyeholes poked out. I'd like to see what my dad loved about AA. He attended daily for years, then in the end, he'd go about 2 to 3 times weekly. HE made a nice life for himself in his retirement years. I read differing opinions, but I'd like to find out. Maybe when we go on vacation, I'll see if I can find one.