Notices

Positives of giving up drinking

Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In another thread I mentioned how hard it was not to dwell on the good memories of drinking days. Focusing on the positives of giving up drinking helps me to stay strong. Like how much easier it is to focus on books/ movies/ hobbies, being able to remember what I've said and done, not falling asleep too early or drinking into the small hours and waking up with the horrors, losing that puffy bloated look, making better food choices, easier to stick to an exercise routine without a hangover, not having a drunken row and being unable to remember what it was about in the first place, not worrying about the damage I'm doing to my liver, other health issues, not getting so much into debt as a result of spending a fortune on alcohol, not putting myself in dangerous situations, .... What are your positives?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, its remembering everything I've done. also, when I act ridiculous, its actually ME. If I over react at something, its not because of drinking..its how I actually saw the situation. I guess for me its the clarity. And mostly, being a better mother. (and honestly, I don't have many good drinking memories)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said esd. That really sums up a lot.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I needed to here that

Two weeks in and i have to keep remembering that if i drink i lose everything, i am inches from rock bottom but i can still save the day if i can stay off the booze!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
For me, its remembering everything I've done. also, when I act ridiculous, its actually ME. If I over react at something, its not because of drinking..its how I actually saw the situation. I guess for me its the clarity. And mostly, being a better mother. (and honestly, I don't have many good drinking memories)
I second that!!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Never having a hangover is something that I give thanks for every morning. I'm sure that it makes me a more potent person.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The fact I'm not losing days in bed feeling like my stomach is never going to stop hurting. Which in turn means I spend more quality time with my family. No more arguments I'm in the dog house about when in all honesty I remember nothing of what was said. Every time I think of drinking I remember this and know I don't want to go back to it. So many positives when u think about how it was when drinking
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Its funny because i remember never having thought it could be me

Funny how much perception i have from being sober and the way I see everything now its like I'm a new man still tough some days but I'm 13 months getting myself more well all the time and I love the peace I have found for my troubled soul

Patience and grace is important for me as before it was all me me me its a work in progress and I'm loving being sober its flipping fantastic I recommend it to anyone

As for anything positive me and my wife/gf celebrated lasts new years sober babysitting my soon to be 4 year old niece it was truly the best time I've had in years

Sobriety what a truly beautiful thing
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ill let you know as soon as I update.God bless
Old 08-30-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not waking up in a jail cell wondering wtf happened the previous night! That's a definite positive!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to be posting on this thread being as today is only day 1 for me....again. :-( But reading all these posts really gives me hope. I have tried to quit several times and every time ended up drinking even more than before. This time I am really going to give it my all. I keep thinking I'm going to miss it and be miserable without it, but reading these posts really does give me hope that I can have a life after drinking. I am going to bookmark this page and every time I feel like I need to drink, I'm going to read all of your comments again. I know this might sound crazy but I am really terrified of never drinking again. These posts on this site really helps.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
birddog

There are times when I do not drink at social events and it is so good to wake up the next morning and go on with my day and not even think about the prior night's event. When I drink at events, I recount each second and do a lot if cringing. When I don't drink I realize how normal people behave and when I observe their normal behavior, I am convinced that I have a major problem. I really like feeling normal.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

being in touch with reality and sanity - as soon as I drink it's not long until I'm in blackout and I really am not in control, bad things always happen to myself and others around me and it's awful to think how it changes me. sober I have a choice how to act and it's usually pretty sensibly, this gives me a lot more peace of mind.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Amen
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me, giving up drinking means being reconnected with life again. When I was drinking, I was on the sidelines like an injured player watching his teammates succeeding and surpassing him at every turn. Now I'm back in the game of life and it feels good, just taking things as they come
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Things that are better for me:

-not having to go to liquor store (and asking self is sober enough to get there).
-no more apologies to spouse about things i never really meant to do or say.
-food is better.
-sex is better. way.-and more of it.
-conversations are better.
-anxiety attacks pretty much non-existent now.
-sleep like a baby.
-i actually enjoy mornings (this was a surprise). i dont cuss the birds for singing. LOL!
-i actually want to do all kinds of stuff now. in the past i limited myself to activities that were serving or byob, and sometimes didnt want to do anything when hungover.
-more pocket $$.
-i enjoy the company of children more.
-my concentration is off the charts (feels like im taking a smart drug).
-regrets about what fell out of my mouth in conversation are almost never.
-and no more nagging feeling that im just not engaged with life at my full potential. i really was only partially present for a while.
-i feel like im 30, physically (am44).
-having more fun (another surprise)! my sense of humor is back, full-on. i laugh all the time.
-i notice all kinds of subtleties in life, art, people, surroundings.
-time has slowed down a bit. looking back, in my memory weekends blend together. and friday used to become monday with astonishing speed.

theres more, im sure. the best thing is that i am a nondrinker now because ive proven to myself that it is actually much better. i dont white knuckle through cravings. i dont pine for the good old days when i "could" drink. i look at it like-"i had my fun. then after a while, it wasnt so fun anymore. been there. done that."
Old 08-31-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Drinking alone, not even 'fun'

pretty much everything, as so many have stated.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There are far to many positives to qutting the sauce, very few negatives, if any!