Notices

Recovered

Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Was just wondering if anybody considers themselves recovered since I have heard it a few times now and its got me thinking

What exactly do you mean ?
"Recovered" is sort of an ambiguous term. I don't drink anymore, therefore I'm no longer addicted to and dependent on alcohol. That's how I look at it.

If you mean "cured" as in can I drink "normally," I doubt it, although I'm certainly not going to try to find out. Even if someone could guarantee that I could drink "moderately" or "normally" if I returned to it, I would not do so, life is better without it.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Recovered for me means I have a good life worth living even though I don't drink. This is no small feat, lol. Before I recovered, alcohol was my go-to solution for living even though such a solution was unlivable. Finally establishing my unbroken goodbyes to alcohol has forever changed me into someone I've always wanted to be.

Recovered also means my challenges in life are doable. Doesn't mean I'll always do my best, or win over every challenge even while doing my best, but it does mean no matter my failures going forward, no matter my hurts and pains, no matter my daily frustrations - drinking will no longer be on my menu. Drinking is no longer a go-to solution. I neither care for or about drinking anymore. The whole scene is now unimportant and something from my long ago yesterdays.

Being recovered also brings real accomplishment I can depend on time and time again as an endless resource to bring to the table when my life again requires introspection and deep change to act on doing the next right thing.

Being recovered means more than enough dreams do come true for the dreamer who doesn't quit on themselves or their dreams.
Thx Robby this helps a lot at the moment
Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
"Recovered" is sort of an ambiguous term. I don't drink anymore, therefore I'm no longer addicted to and dependent on alcohol. That's how I look at it.

If you mean "cured" as in can I drink "normally," I doubt it, although I'm certainly not going to try to find out. Even if someone could guarantee that I could drink "moderately" or "normally" if I returned to it, I would not do so, life is better without it.
Amen.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I tend to think of my acoholism as in remission. Hopefully for ever. Unlike some diseases, I am in the drivers seat with this one. Only myself to blame if relapse occurs.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I am recovered meaning that the good person I was is back, and I no longer think or act in relation to my alcoholism. I do not care about it, no reflex reaction to thoughts about others drinking or drinking in front of me. It is out of my life. I don't need to be recognized for that, anymore than a lifetime non drinker or normal drinker who can drinks five drinks a year spread out and think nothing about it in between, would look at us as if we were nuts if we started on how strong and courageous they are. That is where my head is now. Recovered.

Self improvement is ongoing in any life and not more so in mine for having been an alcoholic. Whether that framework for examining our life is using some RET, AA, self improvement classes like Yoga, reading and counseling.

But since I am done I am just living life as I choose. Like any other non addicted human does.

Recovery means you are finally free from the compulsions, and regrettable behaviors, and hurtful things said and done to others. Some of us did no regrettable hurts to others, or made restitution and apologies already at the time or the next day. Some of us did not drink to blackout. I was a happy drinker. Now a happy recovered alcoholic. The fact that I can never drink again is moot. I choose never to again, and that will never change.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

No one is ever cured from Alcoholism.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Matt,
Recovery does not mean I can ever drink again without my becoming physically dependent on it again from the first drink. It just means I choose not to. And that because I'm done.

I consider myself recovered now. BECAUSE I know I am one drink, and one smoke, away from being enslaved again. And as in all cases, in this case too, Freedom Isn't Free. It cost me my drinking, a cheap price to pay, to stop being cheap myself.

I believed that I was powerless over alcohol. However I have found that I do have power over sobriety. That is the flip side of being powerless over alcohol dontcha think? I am under the influence literally with alcohol in my system thus not sober. But I can, when sober, choose never to drink again. Ever. That isn't being powerful over alcohol, I am powerless there. But the point is moot as sober, I have the power to stay sober. AA worked for what I needed.

Remember, "It" doesn't get better, "You" get better.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
No one is ever cured from Alcoholism.
I can be "Recovered" from a gunshot wound but that does not make me bulletproof.
:camper:
Old 09-01-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks guys so much imput
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

My opinion on this recovering/recovered topic is that it's mostly up to personal interpretation. I have read the Big Book and heard many different points of view, but I like to think about it in the context of what's most helpful for anyone's recovery. Some people get a lot from envisioning a target "goal" of some sort and feeling accomplished when they think they have achieved it ("recovered"?) in their own way, or as it's interpreted by their program. Others may benefit more from thinking about recovery as a journey and process that does not really have a specific state or target but can go on forever as we work on ourselves and create a better, more fulfilling life, far beyond simply overcoming addictions.

I'm not too far into my journey right now (a bit over 7 months) but so far I like the second, open-ended version for myself. Not that I would think whoever is "recovered" cannot, or won't continue their process of self-actualization. In my mind, these are mainly different subjective interpretations of probably the same thing, or similar.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
My opinion on this recovering/recovered topic is that it's mostly up to personal interpretation. I have read the Big Book and heard many different points of view, but I like to think about it in the context of what's most helpful for anyone's recovery. Some people get a lot from envisioning a target "goal" of some sort and feeling accomplished when they think they have achieved it ("recovered"?) in their own way, or as it's interpreted by their program. Others may benefit more from thinking about recovery as a journey and process that does not really have a specific state or target but can go on forever as we work on ourselves and create a better, more fulfilling life, far beyond simply overcoming addictions.

I'm not too far into my journey right now (a bit over 7 months) but so far I like the second, open-ended version for myself. Not that I would think whoever is "recovered" cannot, or won't continue their process of self-actualization. In my mind, these are mainly different subjective interpretations of probably the same thing, or similar.
An endless journey of suffering is much more Buddhist in concept...not sure if you have looked into these teachings and studies but might be something to check out.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I used to be addicted to nicotine and tobacco, I used to be dependent on the stuff, physically and psychologically. When I didn't have it, I craved it, climbing the walls, heebie jeebies, the whole bit. I am not any more and you can tell because I don't smoke anymore. I have recovered from that addiction. I used to be addicted to alcohol, I used to be dependent on the stuff - that's what the word alcoholic means in English. I am not dependent on it and not addicted to it anymore. You can tell because I don't drink anymore.

It's just silly for me to say I am not recovered from my smoking because if I have only one cigarette, I will be right back where I started at a pack a day. That seems pretty obvious. Some people could do that, I suppose, but that seems irrelevant to me.

A friend was a heavy oxy user for over a decade, daily consumed doses of the stuff that would kill five opiate naive people. That is another dependency, another addiction, that surely sits at the top of the list of substances that creates very strong physical and psychological addiction. She is most definitely recovered from that, her addiction is over.

There is some sorta special snowflake stuff going on with alcoholism, when compared to other addictions. It's not simply 12 step philosophy, because that sort of recoveryism exists for tobacco and narcotics too. I don't get it. Is it as simple as if I had used 12 step to quit smoking, and she had used 12 step to quit oxy, we would never be recovered either?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I used to be addicted to nicotine and tobacco, I used to be dependent on the stuff, physically and psychologically. When I didn't have it, I craved it, climbing the walls, heebie jeebies, the whole bit. I am not any more and you can tell because I don't smoke anymore. I have recovered from that addiction. I used to be addicted to alcohol, I used to be dependent on the stuff - that's what the word alcoholic means in English. I am not dependent on it and not addicted to it anymore. You can tell because I don't drink anymore.

It's just silly for me to say I am not recovered from my smoking because if I have only one cigarette, I will be right back where I started at a pack a day. That seems pretty obvious. Some people could do that, I suppose, but that seems irrelevant to me.

A friend was a heavy oxy user for over a decade, daily consumed doses of the stuff that would kill five opiate naive people. That is another dependency, another addiction, that surely sits at the top of the list of substances that creates very strong physical and psychological addiction. She is most definitely recovered from that, her addiction is over.

There is some sorta special snowflake stuff going on with alcoholism, when compared to other addictions. It's not simply 12 step philosophy, because that sort of recoveryism exists for tobacco and narcotics too. I don't get it. Is it as simple as if I had used 12 step to quit smoking, and she had used 12 step to quit oxy, we would never be recovered either?
AA 12 steps specifically states that by completing the steps you are RECOVERED from alcoholism. There really is no ambiguity around this point. Within AA there is much confusion about recovered vs recovery. I can only surmise this has to do with the culture of rehabilitation and the business models around this combined with health care systems - but that is just my opinion.

To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book.

Smith, Dr. Bob; Wilson, Bill ; Silkworth, Dr. William (2013-05-01). The Big Book and A Study Guide of the 12 Steps (p. 3). Anonymous Publishing. Kindle Edition.

On the point of recovery vs recovered Freshstart we share the same perspective.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

This is just a personal anecdotal thing but I realized that I was approaching "recovered" when I no longer drank things to replace beers. A cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee. It feels good. I feel good on a Labor Day morning, no hangover, remembering that this used to be a bonus recovery day for a long weekend of excessive drinking.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Recovered for me means I have a good life worth living even though I don't drink. This is no small feat, lol. Before I recovered, alcohol was my go-to solution for living even though such a solution was unlivable. Finally establishing my unbroken goodbyes to alcohol has forever changed me into someone I've always wanted to be.

Recovered also means my challenges in life are doable. Doesn't mean I'll always do my best, or win over every challenge even while doing my best, but it does mean no matter my failures going forward, no matter my hurts and pains, no matter my daily frustrations - drinking will no longer be on my menu. Drinking is no longer a go-to solution. I neither care for or about drinking anymore. The whole scene is now unimportant and something from my long ago yesterdays.

Being recovered also brings real accomplishment I can depend on time and time again as an endless resource to bring to the table when my life again requires introspection and deep change to act on doing the next right thing.

Being recovered means more than enough dreams do come true for the dreamer who doesn't quit on themselves or their dreams.
Thanks for the eloquent post, RR. I can relate to this very much.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
An endless journey of suffering is much more Buddhist in concept...not sure if you have looked into these teachings and studies but might be something to check out.
Yes I got into Buddhism actually long time before I ever had to think about substance addictions and recovery... It was in my teens and early 20's first when I did quite a bit of "spiritual seeking", jumping from one system to the next in terms of studying them. I did find even back then from what I'd explored that Buddhism was closest to my own natural thinking and opinions as far as human nature and ethical considerations go, but not that interested in the more esoteric aspects and solutions of it, and I don't necessarily view the "journey" as endless suffering the way the doctrines tend to suggest. More like an open-ended process that's limited ~by our mortality. If I had to choose some existing philosophical movement that's closest to my natural thinking, it's probably a combination of existentialism and buddhism.

So I've never felt the need or desire to join any particular spiritual system or school that was established previously by others and follow as prescribed, much more that I pick up ideas from anything that seems compatible with me, make my own programming. This is ~how I've approached my recovery so far. I would never propose a "universal truth" regarding these questions but in the same way, have no problem with others following anything if it works.

In the context of recovery from addictions though, I do see the point pretty strongly to make it definitive and say it's better to develop a view that allows us to be over with it and get beyond the problem mentally and in our actions. But there is just so much associated with being an addict and having an addictive mindset than substance use, and I don't see it simple to recover from all that easily. Not saying it does not happen but I personally don't feel being at that stage here and now. I also have no problems admitting that perhaps my view is at least in part due to fears of commitment in general terms, but with not drinking, my decision is certainly the "forever" kind.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
In the context of recovery from addictions though, I do see the point pretty strongly to make it definitive and say it's better to develop a view that allows us to be over with it and get beyond the problem mentally and in our actions. But there is just so much associated with being an addict and having an addictive mindset than substance use, and I don't see it simple to recover from all that easily. Not saying it does not happen but I personally don't feel being at that stage here and now. I also have no problems admitting that perhaps my view is at least in part due to fears of commitment in general terms, but with not drinking, my decision is certainly the "forever" kind.
I consider myself recovered in the sense of AA's 12 steps. However, I believe like you that this journey is a continuum. I don't believe its a destination. This is difficult for me. I have always been goal oriented and focused on achieving that said goal. Recovery is the opposite for me in the sense that its not black or white. It is teaching me to live in the gray and this is really difficult for me to do.

Also, I still get thoughts. I just returned from our vacation home and even though I was reflecting on the past year, the days after my post when my best friend joined my family with his two kids and was ordering martinis at dinner, it was tough. I could feel the creep of the sirens song about a longing of having just one. Having succeeded in quitting for a year on my first quit, surly I could have just one drink.

I didn't and won't because I know its a mirage and illusion. I was not saved from some deity but I did work my steps 10-12 and tried to post on here to provide service and reflected through meditation and a daily journaling. I can chuckle too when these thoughts flow into my mind. My awareness is allowing me to observe what else is occurring in my life that is allowing these thoughts to manifest. Sure enough, there are relationship/marital concerns that were occurring simultaneously.

My point in all this is I think being honest, open and willing are pretty key. Being recovered from a certain state is achievable. However, it does not mean that I am completely fixed. Sometimes I hear guys talk about how they never think of a drink again - maybe...I call BS on this though. I do think time will make it more palatable but having a thought it okay. Acting upon it is what I am recovered from.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
My point in all this is I think being honest, open and willing are pretty key. Being recovered from a certain state is achievable. However, it does not mean that I am completely fixed. Sometimes I hear guys talk about how they never think of a drink again - maybe...I call BS on this though. I do think time will make it more palatable but having a thought it okay. Acting upon it is what I am recovered from.
^This
Old 09-01-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
waking down

I see recovery as a process, not a destination. Using the term "recovered" kind of implies the work is done, 12 Steps or not, and that seems like dangerous thinking.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I loved this song to death in the past, mostly because I had experienced many moments similar to what might had inspired this song. Honestly, for me, ALL those moments were BEFORE my serious addiction problem.
lamb gorecki - YouTube

So I don't know..... In some some ways also after (recently), but it's just hard for me to identify with it now.