Notices

Best things about sobriety

Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

A peaceful mind.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I don't have much to share yet but this entire thread was inspiring.

When I was sober for extended periods of time I was motivated again.

I read books.
I exercised and enjoyed it.
I lost weight.
I ate better.
My house was cleaner.
I dress better and take better care of myself.
I actually care about my appearance.
I have more money to spend on things that are productive in my life.
My family relationships improve or interactions with them are at least real.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
mpr

Better sleep, feel better overall, more money, clear mind, better health, no ball and chain mentality.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Better everything. Really.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Feelings are REAL.

When drunk everything is just fake in a certain way. That makes me sad.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

There are a billion things I think are awesome about sobriety. Off the top of my head though, I think the thing I love most is that I feel with sobriety, there is always tons of hope and healing. Should I ever pick up a drink again, healing ends, as does any hope for the future. I'm grateful that for me it's a very clear black and white kinda thing.

I also, when I think about it, have a lot of gratitude for the fellowship part of AA. At any time in my life I can move anywhere on the planet, and have an instant set of new friends, and place I can call home.

Gonna be thinking bout this now throughout the day. The best things about sobriety.... great topic.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Better Quality of Life
Getting closer to my Wife and Children
Start Exercising
Eating Healthier
Driving Safely
Being More Active
No Shakes
No Anxiety
No need to hide my addiction
No more Shame
No more waking up and seeing the line of beer cans in the Kitchen
Enjoy Social events more
Remember Social events
Better at Communicating
Clearer Thinking
Waking up without feeling like Sh!t
BEING HAPPY
Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Discovering the little things that you forgot all about while drinking. I look forward to this every day. Today I painted my nails and discovered the shakes are totally gone and my hands are steady as a rock. Doing something so insignificant gave me a great sense of calm and strength.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Re: Gratitude

So, what am I grateful for? Good question. In my opinion, the list is endless. However, I can't begin to describe how I feel, today, without first telling you my story. In a nutshell, I drank too much, way too much, but you already know that. After numerous attempts at sobriety; I soon realized my mistakes. I never put enough effort into getting sober to realize my full potential. In order to sustain any quality of life I had to first give recovery an honest try. When I did, nothing was off limits.

The truth is, I've never been at a loss for words and today is no different. I've been able to achieve more accolades in life, today, then I had in 25 years of active drinking. For the first time in 25 years; I finally had a reason to live. I felt free as a bird and the skies were blue with envy. The truth is, nothing could compare to the joy I had found. Well, maybe not at first. There were a couple of hiccups along the way, but in the end I would not change a thing. Maybe a couple of things, but who's counting.

As far as a list goes, well, it's pretty extensive. Career wise; I have nothing to complain about. There have been many opportunities along the way, some more lucrative than others. I had been an independent writer for many years before the paper industry went belly up. After that I fought tooth and nail for any opportunity that would come my way. Now that I am sober, more doors started to open for me. I do some consulting work for a couple of online forums, and I also supplement my income through various revenue streams, including; proofreading medical journals, doing computer repair work, day trading stocks and options, and even buying and selling on eBay. There's a whole list of ideas floating around my head, but you need to know your limitations. The truth is, I have enormous potential, but staying sober will always be my first priority. Without that, where would we be?

Speaking of which; I also have a list of accomplishments related to sobriety. For some people; they may seem less than stellar compared to my career accomplishments, but to me they mean a great deal. For example, I was able to make amends to my 2 ex-wives over the span of 10 years. That admission has now blossomed into a wonderful friendship that has stood the test of time. I was able to make amends to my daughter as well, even after she disowned 10 years ago. You could only imagine the look on my face when she showed up at my 50th birthday party family in toe. The tears flowed for hours.

There's the spirituality aspect as well, which some people may have trouble with, not me though. I made a real commitment to stay sober over 13 years ago and that same commitment extends to my church family as well. It's something we have to experience for ourselves before we can fully understand the word 'faith' altogether. Other blessings include; family time, leisure time and hobbies, and of course helping others. That's what drives this alcoholic today, and I hope it inspires others as well.