Notices

Long term physical affects of alcohol

Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Long term physical affects of alcohol

I drank alcoholically. There was absolutely no mistaking that fact. As anyone with half a brain cell who was in my company would witness I drank full on to the extent of non-stop until I was totally drunk. It was obvious to me that I could be doing myself damage because of the terrible Ill-effects I had, the nightmare hangovers, the paranoia and as I've expressed on this forum many times how devastating my hangovers were.

I read many, many articles about drinking and what I was wondering today is the negative effects alcohol has on so-called normal drinkers! I was just reading an article about the cumulative effects of say one or two drinks a day does have on the body. Or, what damage is being done by our culture of booze with everything society. Maybe we wouldn't have all the cancers and heart attacks etc if we were more a tee total nation. Thoughts anyone!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, you've got to die of something. Sure, Heart disease is the "number 1 killer in America", but what the hell else do you want to die of?

What blows my mind is that people still smoke. It's so bad for your blood vessels and practically every part of your body, and it doesn't even provide euphoria or anything. I just don't understand.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

What blows my mind is that people still smoke. It's so bad for your blood vessels and practically every part of your body, and it doesn't even provide euphoria or anything. I just don't understand.
You cant make sense out of something that doesnt. It made no sense why i drank or smoked. but i did because I was an addict and sadly even calling it an "addiction" kinda leaves me hanging and searching for a better answer but I dont think there is one it was irrational behavior it made little sense. I just had to accept it for what it was.

Long term I hope I recover. I hope i dont end up with lung cancer or cirrosis if i got diagnozed with lung cancer or cirrossis now i'd wonder why i bothered to quit and struggle to get better.

I think my nervous system is screwed up from the years of booze. Though I recall as a child feeling rather restless and anxious a lot. But I always blamed my home circumstances for that maybe its just me or both I dunno.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
Maybe we wouldn't have all the cancers and heart attacks etc if we were more a tee total nation. Thoughts anyone!
There are plenty of other things that cause cancer besides alcohol. Some you can control and some you can not. Is alcohol prevalent in our society? - absolutely. But at the end of the day I have a choice to pick up a drink or not.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For normal drinkers, I don't think drinking contributes greatly to the increasing prevalence of cancers and heart disease.

Maybe we'd be a mentally healthier nation without substance abuse, but so many other things (GMO, poor diet, fluoridated water, pollution, etc) can stand to be more connected to the unfortunate rise of health ailments.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wonder a lot about cancer and try and do my part to prevent it... healthy eating, moderate exercise, etc.

My grandmother died of cancer and was a teetotaler. Ironically, both my great-grandfather and grandfather were alcoholics. One died in his 90s. The other is still going strong in his 80s.