Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Quitting drinking...what was your experience like

Notices

Quitting drinking...what was your experience like

Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Quitting drinking...what was your experience like

Hi everyone...I'm quitting drinking today. It has started to interfere with my work, relationships, and finances. I've quit before for 10 days which was probably the most positive days I've had in a long time.

What was your experience with quitting, was your withdrawal as bad as you thought it would be? What would you do in place of drinking? I know it's important to replace drinking with other positive activities, so I'm wanting to get a few tips.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I stopped 22 days ago - I was just done with it and completely ready. I have gone to AA meetings every day(except 2) so far - they anchor my day, keep me accountable, give me tools for truly living my life and people to call when I need them. It is also inspiring to hear stories and see how far some have fallen and how much better (without exception) real people's lives are without alcohol.

Other changes I made from Day 1:

- I bought a soda stream(carbonates water) and keep a drink container with icy carbonated water and slices of lemon and lime with me almost always

- I read positive readings before bed (some AA materials and some personal pleasure reading)

- I journal every night

- When I wake I read the daily affirmation(AA), do some step work and then get on my bike to start the day with exercise, an endorphins rush and a great chance to clear my mind

- I go to a meeting every evening(AA)

- keep a gratitude list - updated daily - doesn't have to be monumental - the silliest thing can be a source of gratitude

- I literally take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. I only have to not drink today - who knows what will happen tomorrow.... But for today I decide not to drink

-
All the best!!!!

BTW - the last 3 1/2 weeks have been the best days I have had in YEARS. No guilt and shame when I wake every morning feels better than Christmas. It's a gift.

Last edited by trailrunrbyday; 08-18-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Ohhhh.. And as a little bonus - dropped about 12 lbs so far.... Almost effortlessly LOL
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great choice timeforchange. Withdrawals are all over the map, they range from no symtomps at all to severe medical complications so there's really no way to tell how you will react. If you have any specific concerns of course see your doctor.

For me I had an initial physical withdrawal that lasted at least a week or so. The first few days were the absolute worst. I had drank for a couple of decades, so it took weeks if not months for my body to start feeling any sense of normalcy.

Regarding what I "do" in place of drinking, I do many of the same things I did before - I just do them better because I'm not drunk anymore. Drinking was not an "activity" for me, it was something I did every day no matter what I was doing. I chose to accept that I cannot drink responsibly anymore, no matter what it is that I happen to be doing. Some activities are not part of my life anymore ( hanging out in bars, going to drinking parties ) but for the most part I do everything else I used to, and i've taken on some new hobbies as well. I also don't have to worry about drunk driving anymore, so I can pretty much do whatever I want, whenever I want.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

was your withdrawal as bad as you thought it would be? What would you do in place of drinking? I know it's important to replace drinking with other positive activities, so I'm wanting to get a few tips.
My withdrawel was worse. Much much worse. Not to scare you But I had no idea it would be as difficult and hard as it was. One day at a time I got through it though.

I muddled around for probably 6 months. Trying to stay busy and keep myself occupied that seemed to ease the anxiety tension and the whole not knowing wtf to do with myself. I cleaned things again and again and did other stupid meaningless tasks to pass the time so that I could log another sober day. I climbed the walls with anxiety tried this supplement that supplement drank a lot of herbal tea and read a lot of books.

after about 6 months I thought I gotta start feeling better soon. I was still struggling and felt that it shouldnt be so hard so I quit smoking and started exercising the next day and changed my diet so I could maybe loose a few lbs. Well the exercise eased the anxiety the diet started to help me feel better the weight started coming off and I started feeling better phsyically. Mentally I still had a mess going on But one day at a time I got through it.

I figured anything I did was better then what I was doing. Each day I logged another sober day and felt a weeee bit better.

Now I have over 3 years and I have come to realize life just has its ups and downs and its ok. I keep up a routine of exercise and healthy eating as basic maintenance so that i can continue to feel good and not back slide.

it was totally worth it though not always simple.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to quit.
My withdrawal was worse than I thought it would be. I didn't realize how addicted I had become. I didn't need the hospital, well I probably did, I just went through it at home. Thing was, I drank again. I wasn't done. Took me a few tries and some help from AA.
It is important to find something to fill the void.
For me, it was work and more work. I work in an occupation that isn't regular days or hours. I can mostly work when I want to. I worked a lot, and for the first time had money in my pocket and loved my job that I had been sleepwalking through.

Once you are sober, the world will open up for you. I have no idea what you enjoy doing, but do that.
Whatever you do, you'll have a clear head and be able to do things you couldn't imagine doing while drinking.
AA is great, if you're so inclined. There are other programs of recovery, too.
Once you quit you'll be able to live and love things and appreciate even the smallest enjoyment. It's great. I'm never bored. There's a great big world out there waiting for you to join it. I hope you do.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've gone through withdrawals several times. They just got worse as I got older.

The first time I was 22 and had been drinking daily for a year. I basically just didn't sleep well that night.

the second time was when I was 25. I didn't sleep well, lost my appetite for a few days, and was a little shaky.

The most recent time I had full blown delirium tremens and was admitted to the hospital, following their detox protocol.

I suspect that if I ever start drinking again and try to quit, I'll die. I'd probably suffocate on my own vomit or something horrible like that.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone! How much were you drinking on a daily basis, GreenColor? I've been close to a full Mickey (375 ml) every night. Last time I quit for 10 days I had no symptoms so I'm hoping for the same this time.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was drinking a fifth of 80 proof liquor every night.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

timforechange - I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever except trouble falling asleep for the first week or so - It was much easier to pass out LOL. I did find that the quality of sleep was way better though and the feeling waking up - lovely I was a daily drinker and drank excessively nightly/daily.

Last edited by trailrunrbyday; 08-18-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: to add that I am NOT saying that you or anyone else won't have w/d symptoms - I just didn't
Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailrunrbyday View Post
I stopped 22 days ago - I was just done with it and completely ready. I have gone to AA meetings every day(except 2) so far - they anchor my day, keep me accountable, give me tools for truly living my life and people to call when I need them. It is also inspiring to hear stories and see how far some have fallen and how much better (without exception) real people's lives are without alcohol.
This comment reflects my own experience as well. I also believe listening to the horror stories of other alcoholics helps maintain my own desire not to drink again.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes..horror stories are a rude awakening. I've watched a documentary on an alcoholic who ended up passing away at an early age.

It's nice to hear everyone's stories of recovery. I'm definitely looking forward to a more fulfilling sleep! But know I still have a tough road ahead of me
Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi timeforchange, I have been drinking for many, many years and quit so many times I can't even count with the longest recently being 3 weeks. Anyway my withdrawals are usually sweating, anxiety and trouble sleeping. I am now on day 2 as I have now told all my friends and family this is it as I am totally done with alcohol. I have told them I was going to quit for awhile each time but now there is no denying I cannot keep drinking or I will die. I know it's not huge as with some but I usually would drink a bottle and a half of wine every night and the hangovers have been getting worse and worse.
AA was not for me as the horror stories only made me feel like I wasn't as bad as the others and maybe I could continue drinking. I have social anxiety so the first thing I wanted to do after a meeting was to have a drink.

Last edited by cheeto; 08-18-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: wanted to add
Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know a lot of people who get the shakes (tremors) I didn't get that as bad as what I have heard and seen with my own mother

I drank around a litre and a half of vodka in the end for i was drinking progressivly for 5 years straight maybe 6 it gets blury but give or take everyday

My withdrawal was I would drink until after 3-4 days sometimes 5-6 days no eating and then I'd wake up in absolute agony I would then proceed to vomit constantly for the next 24-48 hours

Once I had stopped vomiting and was able to sip water I would get severe dehydration like my nails & gums had dehydration it would stay like that and I would keep sweating excessively in this time and then I hit the water but all in all 2 weeks for me to get normalish (my body is regulating correctly) I would then have to try to get a good sleep pattern but i still have nightmares every night but I hardly remember them compared to when I was drinking when my nightmares were vivid and horrific

Anxiety faded away stress became something I had to deal with correctly and then attended mtns in the beginning that was lifesaving no other words to describe it

I done this over & over the 5 years but didn't realise I had a problem I think I was in denial but I never thought I was alcoholic just thought I'd overdone it again

That last sentence can be a life sentence and I'm glad I finally got sober it took 3 months of hell from the point of admission but I done it and so can any one if I can
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats! You're making one of the best decisions of your life in my opinion.
The first time I quit drinking, it got completely botched, because I immediately dove headlong into pills [klonopin, norcos, soma mixed.] Then I quit pills by relapsing on booze... the withdrawals from alchohol ranked almost as bad as the withdrawal from pills... the first time really sucked. I've quit booze several times since then, and it's gotten easier each time. I always smoke copious ammounts of pot every time I quit any substance... I still am a stoner, but am seeing now that I should be tapering off, possibly completely, but I'll see, once i become comfortable not being on booze, meth, heroin, benzos, etc. I suggest exercise as the healthiest alternative to drugs and booze, as well as proper nutrition and plenty of vitamins.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I kept smoking pot when I quit drinking and the pot wasn't the same, it was a totally different experience. Without the drinking it was much stronger. I'm guessing that I didn't notice how strong it was when I was drunk. Eventually I quit pot because I wanted a totally clear mind, well of course no one gets that but it did improve my life in many ways. It was probably easier for me to quit them one at a time. I was pretty heavy into both.

Quitting drinking was really hard, especially at first, but absolutely positively the right thing to do. In the beginning I replaced it with water, tea and coffee. I tried not to replace it with more calories but I ate a lot of candy. Eventually I didn't need any of these things as "replacements" anymore. I replaced drinking with not drinking. Yay! The thing I kept hearing here and elsewhere was stay with it, it will get better and easier. It's true. Just don't drink. Learn to get through the cravings, they will fade and they never last as long as a hangover.

You made a good choice. Stick with it and you will be glad you did.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My withdrawal wasn't bad or anything out of the ordinary. I had been a binge drinker, so that meant I pretty much experienced lots and lots of mini withdrawals... which aren't good at all, and I've even read this can be harder on your body and brain.

Some of the things I did instead of drinking: Chatted online with others in recovery here at SR and an iPhone app. The app was handy when I was away from home. But I much prefer SR to any other recovery community Other things... I cleaned house, cooked, rested, read lots of books, went to my IOP meetings, and even went to some AA meetings, and Women For Sobriety meetings. Later on I started volunteering at a local women's shelter. That was great for forcing me to get out of my house and around other women. I also took up running for a while, then weightlifting... now I'm back to moderate exercise. I alternate between walking, running, exercise bike, and weightlifting.

Congrats on your decision to quit drinking!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is our Sticky:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had 2 drinking periods of 2 years and 4 years, both following birth of a child. I had postpartum depression. My last period of 4 years, started out bad, I don't know how much I was drinking at the beginning of that period. I still had 2 school drop-offs and 3 pickups because of stagnated school schedules. And there were lessons: tennis, karate, ballet, ice skating, baby and me, parent and me art...I was driving a lot and with a baby with me all the time.

At one point, my husband hired a nanny which just lead to me drinking more. After a year I let her go. The drinking slowly went down until the past year I was pretty much at 1 bottle of white wine a day, which never felt like enough. 2 bottles was too much, so when I quit I had about a 1.5 wine bottle dependency.

I remember when I picked my user name just wanting to be sober for the month of July. I didn't think I could do it but I did.

First week, horrible. Night sweats for about 3 nights. Heart rate up, blood pressure up.

Had some trying times, vacations, people drinking on planes, events with wine greeting me upon arrival.

Now, I have gotten quite vain (well hopefully not but if it keeps me clean!) because I can not believe the attention I get now. I was mistaken for a actress at the mall and recently I was once again mistaken for a celebrity at the Cancun airport by a big group of people. Men smile at me now - when I was drinking I was invisible to men. I'm married so not looking but it just feels nice. Men let me in lanes when I am driving, the attention I am getting is crazy because I am a mom with 3 kids. I picked up pizza yesterday and this guy waiting in line was like 'hello", big smile on his face. No I don't dress racy or sexy.

I just look so much better than when I was drinking. If drinking turns me into a shrew, I'll pass.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My withdrawal (which I didn't know it was withdrawal) was be dry heaving for 2 days, sweating, not sleeping. I thought it was a hangover, but have recently learned they are pretty much the samethings. I just lived thru it, Amazingly after a few days, my BP was back to normal and I felt pretty good. Saw amazing differences the first few weeks, on a daily basis, from skin, to aches/pains.... Its well worth it. Whenever I toy with drinking (which is very rare and not very seriously) I think back. Good Luck. Welcome.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I made a horrible mistake tonight. I drank. For some reason I keep telling myself my drinking problem isn't that bad if I can go a day or two without. It's frustrating, maybe I'm not finding enough to do for myself. But having a lack of friends does not help.