Notices

Facebook

Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Facebook

What is it with Facebook that everyone on there appears to only take photos of themselves supposedly having a good time?! Also I find it very odd that people take pictures of the plates of food that they're eating but also photos of their drinks!!!! Like as if no one on earth ever eats or drinks. It seems everyone but everyone on fb drinks?? They just look stupid.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Not a lot of people I know take pics of themselves having a miserable time and I think that is fairly true even before smart phones. I have friended mostly other folks in recovery now, so my friends on there don't drink. And I see lots of cats and other memes. At least it makes me smile.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Suspected Minnesota drunk driver posts Facebook photo of wrecked car after fatal crash: report - NY Daily News
Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I enjoy seeing pics of my friends having a good time. And being a foodie I like to look at pictures of food, whether it be homemade or at a restaurant. And even being an alcoholic, I can certainly appreciate nice looking restaurant drinks or vacation libations. I just know I can't have them. It makes me happy to see other people happy.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually shut FB down the day I went sober. I've checked there twice in 20 days because you know it's easy to just re-activate it.

Anyhow, same old thing. It's full of egotistical, self-absorbed people. I don't want to know every time someone has coffee at Starbucks or if they are at the gym.

The posts that are the most annoying are the selfies and when people post some wisdom as if we are all idiots and they are Gandhi.

Then come the vacation pictures. I actually went to Disneyland a couple weeks back and posted nothing, my acct was de-activated at the time and still is. It felt great because the trip before to DL (2013, we live pretty close) I remember posting to FB. You post and that one post leads to checking, reading comments replying to comments. I remember sitting at a restaurant in Downtown Disney, with my husband and kids, and being like 'wait wait' because I was checking and posting on FB.

I have a friend my age. She got married but they were never able to have kids and she lives on FB. She has posted about every fight she has had with her husband, even when she ran off to Paris to start a new life with some French guy she met on FB. Then she was back a week later. Husband took her back. Her selfies get more and more desperate. She has over 1000 FB friends and I know she doesn't know the majority of them. Well, I checked FB twice in 20 days just to see if it annoys me still, it does, but anyhow, her last selfie is of her nude but in a way that her parts are covered. She is desperate for attention. It's sad.

Yeah, hate FB. People weren't meant to communicate like that. It's unnatural to be like - hey I did this and that and look at me! Conversation is meant to be a 2-way street.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been off Facebook since being sober. It's too tempting seeing all the normal drinkers. Best thing I've ever done
Old 08-02-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although I'm still struggling with my addiction and 3 days sober I realized a while a ago that some of the people I see on Facebook probably have drinking problems themselves. I see a lot of the people I went to school with posting picks from the bar hammered every weekend. Also, some of the Facebook pages post a lot of pro mass alcohol consumption memes. Social networks are a glimpse into the lives of others in a way I guess. People are going to show and share pictures of themselves partying and whatnot rather than sitting at home bored. Just my observation.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

How Facebook Can Amplify Low Self-Esteem/Narcissism/Anxiety | Psychology Today
Old 08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Wow talk about no guilt or remorse. On some occasions it's sad to see a drunk driver do prison time. This case is not one of them.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
Although I'm still struggling with my addiction and 3 days sober I realized a while a ago that some of the people I see on Facebook probably have drinking problems themselves. I see a lot of the people I went to school with posting picks from the bar hammered every weekend. Also, some of the Facebook pages post a lot of pro mass alcohol consumption memes. Social networks are a glimpse into the lives of others in a way I guess. People are going to show and share pictures of themselves partying and whatnot rather than sitting at home bored. Just my observation.
Yeah I agree, a lot of people I was Facebook friends with are functioning alcoholics for sure.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Twitter even worse. Telling the world they are having a few beers or a cheeky pint over n over . Hate it when my friends say going to have a couple of beers , it's never a couple of beers , so many in denial but but hey ho I now just focus on myself and whats good for me

Yep vacation pictures , yuk.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It seems to be a constant stream of people telling me what they are doing at all times.

The amount of information people share can't be good in the long run!!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Facebook is the absolute WORST!!!!! I hate it, yet I keep logging in. It could be another addiction for many people.

Yes, people brag about how wonderful their lives are on Facebook - that is not an accurate depiction of reality, believe me. It is just a competitive thing, and it is stupid. The happiest people I know rarely post their personal business on FB.

One of my good friends said to me, "Stop comparing your life to what you see on FB...that is a recipe for depression right there."
Old 08-02-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

EndgameNYC, that story was just awful--so sad for the family of the 16 year old.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Here's a good sober FB story.

About six years ago a couple of friends from back in the day began connecting many of our mutual friends on FB. Long story short we all decided to meet at our old Friday night meeting. We had almost 100 people show and about half of us were sober 25+ years.

So yeah most of FB is a huge brain suck but there is utility there if used the right way.

-allan
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Facebook...ugggg.

at 44 im allowed to not join in. so thankful. what a stroke job.

if youre not feeling so good about yourself and use facebook alot, stop it. stop for a month and tell me you dont feel better. wait till after the withdrawl though.

yet another thing some have difficulty moderating.

whats going on? why do we all want diversion so much?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's great to know I'm not alone in my feelings on this. I feel the world has gone mad sometimes. Why do I have to be bombarded with photos of people I know, who, because they're on holiday or at a bar or restaurant etc, like omg, what an exciting life they must have, I've known these people for decades, I know what life they have. What is it they are trying to portray? They just look immature & stupid! As suggested, I'm going to come off it, practice what I preach, eh? X
Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I cant stand that stupid-ass whine glass shite! OMG...Its WineThirty! Time for my mommy juice!! or, It's me and my Red SOLO Cup! and it's BEFORE NOON!!! It's five-o'clock somewhere.

remember those kids at the party WAAAAY back when? They've got a new venue! _killin me. just killin...
Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Remember before digital photography when we all took pictures of our food, got the film developed and passed the photos around to all our friends when we saw them? Yeah me neither.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Facebook and social media in general are addicting. I can't tell you how many times I've deactivated my account. The last time I was on FB was a week ago. You shouldn't compare your behind the scenes to someone's movie reel. It's all BS, I can't tell you how many times I was going thru bad situations in my life and I would only post happy/funny things. I didn't want anyone to know about my suffering from alcoholism,depression and anxiety.