Notices

Anti-Anxiety Med Question

Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Anti-Anxiety Med Question

Hi all. I intend on making a more thorough introduction soon... actually, I saved several drafts, but I just don't feel I'm finding the right words right now. Anyway, I've been drinking way too much for a few years, and while I thought I had a handle on it, and a time table for cutting back, recently, I've developed anxiety issues (almost certainly from the imbalance in stress hormones and neurotransmitter chemical balance from too much drinking).

Now, I acknowledge identifying underlying causes, consulting a doctor and finding a support system are vital to my recovery. But my personal situation is causing that to be difficult, if not impossible... at least for the near future. In the mean time, my anxiety issues (which never existed until recently) are jeopardizing my employment.

So as far as the neurochemical withdrawl issues.... the random feeling of falling... shortness of breath... being easily startled or overwhelmed... difficulty concentrating... panic attacks.... has anyone had these, and found a particular medication that was helpful?

And yes, I know I cannot drink while on medication. In fact, I have a prescription for zoloft I'm looking forward to using, but I don't know the timetable as far as how long after my final drink will I be safely able to take it. And the doctor who prescribed it has since retired, so I guess thats something else I could use info on.

And yes (again), I know to take all info on forums with a grain of salt, as we are not doctors. I'm looking for anecdotal info in place of medical fact, and will use it as a guide to find more solid evidence in my research.

Lastly, (and this is probably a stupid question, but I'm an idiot at times, lol), are there any rough guidelines or success stories as far as cutting back on alcohol intake a certain amount everyday to ween off of it, while still keeping anxiety symptoms at bay? I know I need more help than that, but I honestly don't see a way to get it in the timeframe to feel safe about my job.

Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate all help. Feel free to ask questions. I know no two heavy drinkers are the same. And I know im an idiot. I have been waaaay before I started drinking.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome BrodyCrystal

While we can share our experience with you regarding anxiety, none of us can recommend a medication for you, even anecdotally, because it's against our rules... what might have worked for someone else may simply not be suitable for you.

I had some success with deep breathing exercises, but the really significant step was me not drinking alcohol anymore.

I don't think that there is a safe level of drinking to avoid anxiety. I certainly never found it.

I think they come as a set - they certainly did for me.

The initial period after getting sober can be difficult - you may even feel worse rather than better for a while, but it's worth it.

The best thing to do is see your Dr - honestly, whatever the difficulties are there, they're worth overcoming in my opinion

D
Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everytime I quit drinking over the years, the one thing that was always present was that crushing anxiety. It was inescapable for me. The brain has to, at some point, adjust to the absence of alcohol. Tapering didn't do much to alleviate it and my anti-depressants were no match. I just had to grin and bear it for a week.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Everytime I quit drinking over the years, the one thing that was always present was that crushing anxiety. It was inescapable for me. The brain has to, at some point, adjust to the absence of alcohol. Tapering didn't do much to alleviate it and my anti-depressants were no match. I just had to grin and bear it for a week.

I went to meetings every chance I could get. Meetings gave me something to do and when I got home it was usually time to get ready for bed.