Notices

Day 1

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Its been a long road getting here but today is officially day 1. The first night wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, the diazepam really helped. Felt tired, down and brain fogged throughout the day, but felt so good waking up without a hangover.

I know this is only the start and I need to carry on seeing my therapist and doing other things to keep me sober. Thanks for the support of everyone on here and sorry to those I have offended. I'm determined to stick to with sobriety this time.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this!!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on making the choice and taking action Captain. No need to be sorry to anyone here, we've all been through those dark times ourselves.

Make sure you keep in touch with your doc and follow up as you had planned, and stick around here if you need support. Have you considered any local meetings or support groups at all? That can definitely help, especially in the early days.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work, you'll make it if you really want it and I think you do.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Captain on your sober journey!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done Captain

Remember to eat well and drink plenty of water to rehydrate yourself.
Body needs lots of support right now.

Each day you should feel a bit better which is wonderful.

Be prepared with things planned in case you have insomnia.
Some folks here slept great when they quit, but I had many sleepless nights
and then I slept great. Still do.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job CaptainWhip. Proud of you for taking this huge step - a better life is waiting.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go CW. You won't be sorry. Glad you're doing what you can to help yourself. Congrats!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You've got this. I'm on day one too after relapsing. One day at a time.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go for it! No reason to go back to the misery.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
You've got this. I'm on day one too after relapsing. One day at a time.
Well done on your day one too. One day at a time is what I keep telling myself. Now I have to wait to see my doctor later this week and get a full blood test done.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2 now. Still feel down and tired, no bad withdrawal yet. The diazepam is certainly helping in that aspect. Going to taper that tonight, have a plan for how to use it detoxing from an NHS site. Not being hung over is a great weight off my shoulders and not feeling pain in my abdomen and having digestion problems is great. Finding it difficult to think straight and organise things though. I've got errands to run over the next few days, and am trying to plan/manage them the best i can. Not thinking about alcohol, so that's a good thing.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
Day 2 now. Still feel down and tired, no bad withdrawal yet. The diazepam is certainly helping in that aspect. Going to taper that tonight, have a plan for how to use it detoxing from an NHS site. Not being hung over is a great weight off my shoulders and not feeling pain in my abdomen and having digestion problems is great. Finding it difficult to think straight and organise things though. I've got errands to run over the next few days, and am trying to plan/manage them the best i can. Not thinking about alcohol, so that's a good thing.
Congrats on day 2, glad it's going well. It took my brain quite some time to get used to not being drunk all the time, and i would imagine the diazepam doesn't help with concentration either - but it's certainly better than the alternative. Glad you are working on a taper plan, don't be afraid to talk with your doctor about that too. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was pretty fuzzy mentally when I first quit and had trouble organizing and remembering things for months to tell the truth--maybe keep a little notebook handy and do lists for a bit until you feel clear.

Some people clear up quickly--I was one of the slower ones I think.

Great job on Day 2--
Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I was pretty fuzzy mentally when I first quit and had trouble organizing and remembering things for months to tell the truth--maybe keep a little notebook handy and do lists for a bit until you feel clear.

Some people clear up quickly--I was one of the slower ones I think.

Great job on Day 2--
Yeah I find I have to carry a notepad around the house; I have a thought and then it's suddenly gone. I have notes on my desk with appointments and to-do lists. I've also put everything on to my phone calendar.

I also managed to go to a meeting today and found it pretty helpful. I don't know how I feel about working the 12 steps though. I'm going to try different meetings around my area and see how it goes. There are also alternatives to AA and i may look at them.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats CaptainWhip keep up the good work, this is my 1st post here I am not yet on the wagon but I will be in the next week or 2.

After the absolute idiocy of my behaviour last weekend and the accumulation of other similar incidents over the years I have decided enough is enough and it must stop, I cant conduct myself in a manner that is not the real me anymore.

Reading posts like this makes me positive. I'm gonna book an appointment at the docs tomorrow get a date set a plan and do it once and for all, what lies ahead for me I do not know but I'm pretty certain it's for the greater good.

Once I get started I will start a thread.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Captain!

It made me smile when you said how nice it was to wake up this morning without a hangover. Doesn't it feel great? Just think, you don't ever have to have a hangover again. Cool, isn't it?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wotsitname View Post
Congrats CaptainWhip keep up the good work, this is my 1st post here I am not yet on the wagon but I will be in the next week or 2.

After the absolute idiocy of my behaviour last weekend and the accumulation of other similar incidents over the years I have decided enough is enough and it must stop, I cant conduct myself in a manner that is not the real me anymore.

Reading posts like this makes me positive. I'm gonna book an appointment at the docs tomorrow get a date set a plan and do it once and for all, what lies ahead for me I do not know but I'm pretty certain it's for the greater good.

Once I get started I will start a thread.
I'm glad if my posts have been a help. I'm on Day 3 now and it is difficult to give up. I'm going through the standard withdrawal symptoms during the day, feel the same as days 1 and 2 . Nights are not that bad but obviously I'm on diazepam then. However, I'd much rather feel the way I do and have positivity to look forward to than feeling awful on booze. I'm taking it a day at a time and eventually things will start to get better.

Try to see your doc or anyone you can as soon as possible. Honesty is the best policy I've learnt.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Captain and great job on making it through the worst part of detox;

Things should start getting better soon in terms of withdrawal symptoms.

The best thing for me was a dramatic lessening of anxiety after a couple of weeks.

Insomnia was a problem for awhile, but just waking up hangover-free and feeling pretty good was wonderful.

Some light exercise was helpful too in the early stages.
There is quite a lot of time to fill that used to be drinking time.

What are your plans for that? Any activities or things lined up?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hey Captain,
that's great!
you took the plunge.

sounds like you've already found some helpful tools.

keep going.