Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Research Supporting the Benefits of Self Help Groups

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not going to champion one group over another, but I'd like to reproduce some research findings I came across in a text this morning. The research found:

Sustained attendance at self-help groups (SHGs) is associated with a higher likelihood of abstinence and better substance use outcomes.

• Involvement in SHGs may accrue benefits over and above those of attendance itself.
• Delay in participation and dropout from SHGs foreshadows poorer substance use outcomes.
• Participation in SHGs can substitute for, bolster, and help to explain the benefits of treatment; it can also reduce health care utilization and costs.
• Less religious individuals appear to benefit from SHGs as much as do individuals who are more religious.
• Individuals who are court mandated to participate in SHGs benefit as much from them as do non-mandated patients.
• Women and older adults engage in and benefit from SHGs as much as or more than men and younger adults do.
• SHGs contribute to better substance use outcomes by providing support, goal direction, and structure; exposure to abstinent role models; reward for substance-free activities; and a focus for building self-confidence and coping skills.

Perhaps if you are wavering between going to a meeting or not this research might help! If you want to read the full chapter, the ref info is below:

Moos, R., & Timko, C. (2008). Outcome research on twelve-step and other self-help programs. In M. Galanter, & H. O. Kleber (Eds.), Textbook of substance abuse treatment (4th ed. pp. 511-521).
Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Question:
Would Sober Recovery count?
I think it would.

I've been thinking about this.
Since my last drink, I've been thinking more about my sobriety.
In the past, I didn't. I just focused on life.
But I think anything that gives you a reason to consider your sobriety is hugely beneficial.
And I get that here.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure Eric - I don't think it's possible for anyone who doesn't know you pretty well to be able to prescribe exactly which group support tools will work. SR is indeed one... I think the key is for us to get out of our shells - to engage with others teaches us so much, even though we like to pretend we already know everything