Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I want to give it another go, and take it seriously

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I dont want to drink anymore.

I know its going to be hard and I don't know if I can succeed, but I know with certainty if I hit the bottle its bad news, always. Always.

I feel really free admitting that.

**** it, I can do this. I'm not going to let alcoholism beat me. I'm going to take my life back while I still can.

I'm glad you guys are here. Most of my friends are alcoholics or people that genuinely believe I'm a better person drunk so I get no support elsewhere and I live in a place where I can't go to any meetings.

I'll be back in my home country in a month and there I should be able to at least hole up in my moms house and get her help for a while, for now I'm going to just try to stay away from bad influences and detox.

I'm a little afraid about detox, and am considering doing one beer a night incase I get dangerous symptoms. Perhaps thats crazy talk, but I don't know of any place I can check myself into, and I'm not going to have a heart attack over this crap.

Anyhow, it begins now. I'm going to kill this thing.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are making a positive change. Getting sober has made a big difference in my life. The first part is the hardest, but it is doable
Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back.
This disease we fight is strange and powerful. We know it goes into remission when we stop using it and our lives become so much better, yet it has a huge powerful draw to get us back and too often succeeds.
I’m an old time AA hard liner telling the facts most people don’t want to hear or imagine. Like if we don’t pick up the first drink we don’t have to try to get sober AGAIN.
This is life or death and or a continued life of misery that will get worse if we continue to drink. We try all sorts of tricks to get around things we should do to get sober and live, we can’t do this or can’t go there etc. I was taught that we go to ANY length to get and stay sober.

The #1 beginning to sobriety is being honest with ourself about our own drinking and that at times is hard.
KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great decision. You can do it. Youve got the mindset.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're on this site... it seems to help a lot of people! Plus, writing has it's own advantages

Which country are you in?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck! Stay close to SR!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post

I'm a little afraid about detox, and am considering doing one beer a night incase I get dangerous symptoms. Perhaps thats crazy talk, but I don't know of any place I can check myself into, and I'm not going to have a heart attack over this crap.
Welcome Kinzoku, you've made a great decision. Regarding your statement above, drinking any amount of alcohol basically resets your body's withdrawal clock so to speak. I would strongly consider at least seeing a doctor, because in rare cases withdrawal can be dangerous - even deadly. Strokes, seizures and even heart failure is possible, albeit rare.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish you well kinzoku. I hope you stay strong.

Don't bother with the one beer a night thing. If you start to get dangerous detox symptoms, one beer isn't gonna come close to curing them. If you're worried about detox, see a doctor. It will make the process SO much more comfortable and stress free.

Good luck!