Notices

Sad about football season

Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Sad about football season

I love football. I especially love the Packers!! Eddie Lacy is a beast!

Now since I've decided to sober up... I came to thinking that I won't be able to enjoy my wine while rooting for the green and yellow! I was never the classic beer and football type of person!

Thought just came to my mind. :-( it's okay... I've already decided I'm going to buy a female Eddie Lacy packers jersey with the money I save from not buying booze!

It's weird the things that seemingly go hand in hand with drinking.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For an alcoholic like me everything goes/went hand in hand with drinking.

Now it's better!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being a huge sports fan, I can tell you Sober sports are amazing, I now remember all the big plays and the stats rather than disappearing into a drinking haze, not to mention the hangover free morning the next day!!

Alcohol and Sports for me now don't mix, it'd be a shame to ruin the Sober experience!!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Being a huge sports fan, I can tell you Sober sports are amazing, I now remember all the big plays and the stats rather than disappearing into a drinking haze, not to mention the hangover free morning the next day!! Drinking and Sports for me now don't mix!!
Very true! There have been quite a few times that I didn't remember what had happened in the game the day before and therefore couldn't defend my Packers against all these Bears fans in Chicago!!

This actually may be good!!! :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm excited about the start of football season. I've been sober for a little over six years, and it's as much fun watching the games now as it ever was. The bonus is that I actually stay awake for the whole game and know the final score.

The bad thing is my local team is the Dallas Cowboys. Ugh.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now your talking, I follow all types of sports, being the only person in a group that can actually remember that yellow flag incident, that penalty in Ice hockey, or that walk in baseball, it brings a whole new dynamic to the discussion, I no longer rely on others for the info, I can remember every play myself!!

We had a Superbowl and Stanley Cup thread here on SR when they were on, as well as a World Cup soccer thread, keep an eye out!!

Roll on Sept 4th!! I can't wait!!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I'm excited about the start of football season. I've been sober for a little over six years, and it's as much fun watching the games now as it ever was. The bonus is that I actually stay awake for the whole game and know the final score. The bad thing is my local team is the Dallas Cowboys. Ugh.
Haha! Not gonna lie... I'm not entirely fond of the Cowboys.

It's quite rough living in a city where you strongly dislike the team! Every time I tell someone I'm a Packers fan, I always hear "oh I'm so sorry!"

Haha I was raised a Packers fan because my dads family is a la Wisconsin!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I love Aaron Rodgers but I couldn't stand Brett Favre. I choose my favorite teams for absolutely silly reasons. I like their QB or I like their coach, or I like some member of their team. I'll be rooting for a team that is playing against a team in my division or whatever just because I like someone on that team.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I love Aaron Rodgers but I couldn't stand Brett Favre. I choose my favorite teams for absolutely silly reasons. I like their QB or I like their coach, or I like some member of their team. I'll be rooting for a team that is playing against a team in my division or whatever just because I like someone on that team.
Brett Favre wasn't bad early on... But later... I began to despise him. I agree with you!

When the packers are out for the season... A fun thing I like to do is pick the team with the "prettiest" uniform. LOL if I don't really care about either team... Best uniform wins!!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I loved the Broncos for the past few years simply because Payton Manning was the QB. Well, the Cowboys were so stupid as to let DeMarcus Ware go and he went to Denver, so now, I'll be rooting for Denver when they play the Cowboys. See? It's silly stuff like that, but I must say, I like the Cowboy's uniform better than that of the Broncos.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a huge college ball fan. (Go Cocks!) I'll be hoisting Odouls this season though.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can still enjoy watching the Packers without drinking.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow....thank you for your post, Rosie.

I could not deal with football here, when I first got sober. Couldn't watch it.

Then I had a revelation....if I watched the game sober, I actually would remember the WHOLE game, not the first 20 mins or so. Lol.

Well your post made me realise how far I've come and that I don't even remotely pine for drinking when I watch sports any more - AT ALL.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Fellow packer ( and badger ) fan here Rosie. I enjoy football just as much, probably even more now that I'm sober. Heading to family night next Saturday at lambeau actually. We will have root beer in the cooler for the tailgate and I'll be able to transport my family home safely as an added bonus!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Fellow packer ( and badger ) fan here Rosie. I enjoy football just as much, probably even more now that I'm sober. Heading to family night next Saturday at lambeau actually. We will have root beer in the cooler for the tailgate and I'll be able to transport my family home safely as an added bonus!
That sounds like a fun time!! If you like root beer, goose island (a Chicago beer company) makes really good root beer with real sugar cane. My boyfriend loves them. Their a tad bit pricey but yummy! They also have orange soda too! (All non alcoholic. Just manufactured by a beer company)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-598172049.jpg (58.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 07-26-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm excited for football too. I noticed since getting sober I enjoy the games just as much as when I was drinking, and I still yell obscenities at the referees from time to time. If your passionate about your team it'll still be a really fun experience. And instead of feeling the lone emotion of drunk you feel the highs and low points of the game. It's an emotional rollercoaster if you're a diehard fan like me but it makes it so much better that way.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
I love football. I especially love the Packers!! Eddie Lacy is a beast!

Now since I've decided to sober up... I came to thinking that I won't be able to enjoy my wine while rooting for the green and yellow! I was never the classic beer and football type of person!

Thought just came to my mind. :-( it's okay... I've already decided I'm going to buy a female Eddie Lacy packers jersey with the money I save from not buying booze!

It's weird the things that seemingly go hand in hand with drinking.
For some reason you are only thinking about the part you remember as 'fun"
What about the noon games. For me,that meant opening my first beer of the day at about 10:30or 11. By 1:30 in the afternoon i was well on my way to la la land. By 6 in the evening I was ready to pass out.
A lot of 3 oclock games meant I still had to start drinking at noon or shortly after. Which still makes for a very long day.
And when I was watching a game with others that are drinking. I would always miss the play of the game because a drinking buddy,or myself was boasting,or complaining about something or other (the later in the game the louder the boasting,or complaining gets).
And then there is the Monday morning hangover. (No, I will NEVER forget the Monday morning hangovers).

Now that I don't drink anymore I can actually watch a game however I choose. I don't have to worry how I am gonna get home. When the game is over I am sober,and I have the rest of the day to be free. (I am an alcoholic,once I start drinking I drink the rest of the day). Monday morning is a non issue with the only exception being it is Monday.
No,I will never miss drinking and Football. Bottom line,not drinking gives me freedom.
And I do love Root beer.

Fred
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm targeting Eddie Lacy this year in my fantasy draft. Here's to your Packers, Mr. Lacy, my fantasy season, and most of all, your sobriety. It's going to be a good season
Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
Very true! There have been quite a few times that I didn't remember what had happened in the game the day before and therefore couldn't defend my Packers against all these Bears fans in Chicago!!

This actually may be good!!! :-)
I was very sad at first too...I am a die hard Niners fan..probably the most passionate female I know lol. Well, by the time it was halftime, I wouldn't even remember the good plays or what had happened. So the next day my male coworkers would try to discuss the game with me and probably thought i was just some dumb girl but the truth was i was just so drunk by then i don't remember enough to discuss. so i am looking forward to this year sober so i can remember it all. I barely remember their recent Superbowl because i was so drunk i only remember the last horrible play....but i will not ever rewatch that game lol. I also missed a lot of the championship game. sucks!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by JTBIV View Post
I'm targeting Eddie Lacy this year in my fantasy draft. Here's to your Packers, Mr. Lacy, my fantasy season, and most of all, your sobriety. It's going to be a good season
Yay!! :-)