Notices

Sad about football season

Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by JTBIV View Post
I'm targeting Eddie Lacy this year in my fantasy draft. Here's to your Packers, Mr. Lacy, my fantasy season, and most of all, your sobriety. It's going to be a good season
Yay!!! :-)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by MissD23 View Post
I was very sad at first too...I am a die hard Niners fan.
Awww! Back when I was younger... I'm talking like 8... Mr. Packers dad wanted me to be able to choose the team I wanted. Back when those starter jackets were popular. And I picked out the niners. I thought it was the coolest jacket at the time!! I learned the error of my ways and eventually became a pack fan haha :-) However the niners will have a special place in my heart. Let's have a good sober football season this year!!!! I will revert back to a 14 year old girl and "may the odds be ever in your TEAMS favor". Yes... I did just semi-quote hunger games! And I double posted my previous post... Darn phone! Still kinda getting the hang of this app!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It's weird the things that seemingly go hand in hand with drinking.
I'm hard pressed to find something that I didn't think went hand in hand with drinking

I know what you mean though. I used to take the day off after the first Sunday of football and the day after the Superbowl. Years back a coworker asked me why I did that and I said because I didn't want to come in feeling like crap the next day. Then he looked at me and said "It's pretty bad when you have to plan for a hangover". Never gave it a second thought then. We don't pay attention to things we don't want to hear.

Since I've now spent an entire season sober I am finding that I enjoy football far much more than I did previously. Every Sunday used to be a big day at my house, me preparing food for bunches of people and spending most of my time putting food out, grilling, and cleaning up after (when I actually was sober enough to clean up which was pretty much never). I can't say that I saw much of the games. I had a tv set up where I could see it but everyone would be partying and eating while I waited on them all.

These days I grab my soda and whatever the meal is that I cook and I park it on the couch. I see the whole game and I know who won. Amazing that no one shows up here now that there's no alcohol involved and I don't cook up a storm. I love it.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Rosie88, I just got 24 of those root beers at Costco for $11.**. They are so good!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Btw Go Lions!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm Oakland as hell Go Raiders.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
I love football. I especially love the Packers!! Eddie Lacy is a beast!

Now since I've decided to sober up... I came to thinking that I won't be able to enjoy my wine while rooting for the green and yellow! I was never the classic beer and football type of person!

Thought just came to my mind. :-( it's okay... I've already decided I'm going to buy a female Eddie Lacy packers jersey with the money I save from not buying booze!

It's weird the things that seemingly go hand in hand with drinking.
I'm a HUGE sports fan, football and basketball mostly (Jets and Knicks). Watching sports and drinking often went hand in hand for me, so I hear you. BUT I have found an unexpected effect, I enjoy watching sports far more in sobriety because I am able to get more into the game and comprehend what is happening with better clarity. Last season, I "missed" about 5 Jet games where I was just so drunk during the game, I barely remembered it at all. The majority of other games, I was either severely hungover or at least slightly buzzed which diminished my enjoyment. Now I can actually watch the game, follow the strategies, and be more present. I can't wait until football season SOBER, it will be the most enjoyable one of my life!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
zjw

not to stomp on everyones parade but i'm the type that gets invited to a football party of sorts sits in the corner watches how everyone behaves over such events and just shakes my head in horror

my dad and my brother are both huge sports fans I on the other hand fail to see the enjoyment in it.

Now dont get me wrong I can sit down and enjoy certain games to a degree and seeing a good play happen is exciting. But yelling at the tv getting drunk jumping up and down screaming and carrying about the ref etc.. is all behaivior that i dont get at all.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
But yelling at the tv getting drunk jumping up and down screaming and carrying about the ref etc.. is all behaivior that i dont get at all.
I now shout at the TV stone cold Sober, it's a good job I live on my own!!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
But yelling at the tv getting drunk jumping up and down screaming and carrying about the ref etc.. is all behaivior that i dont get at all.
There is a difference between being a fan of sports and being a fanatic, which you have described to a T above.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Mek2 View Post
Rosie88, I just got 24 of those root beers at Costco for $11.**. They are so good!
Dang!! That's cheap!!! I need to get myself a costco membership!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
xuse

Go Dawgs!!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I'm REAL HAPPY about football season, especially this one! I'm 1/2 hour from Rutgers stadium. Rutgers just joined the Big Ten and is hosting Michigan this year. My daughter is attending Rutgers and is getting us tickets for the 10/4 evening game. I was in Ann Arbor for grad school many moons ago and although I had season tickets, never went to a game, argh. I sold the Ohio State ticket for what I paid for all of them, lol.

I follow the Wolverines every year they don't bomb out of the race from the get-go. They should still be in it that early in the season; I'm sure I'll go anyway. If you happen to catch the game on TV, I'll be the big 7-1/2 mos. sober guy in the Michigan jersey and the Rutgers cap come rain, snow, hell or high water. Go Blue!, and scarlet!, lol.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am sad about football season looming so ominously on the horizon, but only because I am a football husband and I have to accompany my wife to 7 - 8 games this year, ruinging that many Saturdays when I could be running, shooting guns, jeeping, etc.

Mercifully, though, I should be able to get in ~6 NASCAR races this year, and they are a joy to behold.

More seriously, though, I enjoy sports, and, for that matter, pretty much everything else (concerts, plays, work, you name it) infinitely more than when I thought I needed to get drunk and high to participate or watch.

I think the OP will be happily surprised to discover how much better sports are now that we are sober.

They are less eventful in that the likelihood of jails and ERs is considerably less than in the old days, but still quite fun.

I go to everything from college football and basketball games, to NASCAR tracks, sports car tracks, dirt tracks and country and rock concerts, and I remeber every last bit of each event.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I'm no longer sad. I've come to terms with it.

I do have another reason to be excited!!! I found a website that will CUSTOM MAKE a Packers jersey for your pet!! I'm getting my cat an Eddie Lacy jersey so we can match!!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
I'm getting my cat an Eddie Lacy jersey so we can match!!
Gonna date myself but mine was a Ray Nitschke, #66, a Fighting Illini. Bart Starr was my real hero though, lol. Being a NYer, can't neglect Y. A. Tittle, Fran Tarkenton and Broadway Joe however.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
For an alcoholic like me everything goes/went hand in hand with drinking.

Now it's better!
So true
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Last Super Bowl I blacked out in Manhattan and lost my car keys and apartment keys. It was a snowstorm the next day, and I was super hungover and locked out of my apartment. By the grace of God my super was there to let me in, and I had spare car keys. I did embarrass myself, and the guy I was dating at the time was livid because I didn't call all night, and I was obviously bombed at a bar. I didn't even know who won the game the next day. I love football, so I will remember that night all football season to keep me from romanticizing drinking while "watching" the game.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
I'm REAL HAPPY about football season, especially this one! I'm 1/2 hour from Rutgers stadium. Rutgers just joined the Big Ten and is hosting Michigan this year. My daughter is attending Rutgers and is getting us tickets for the 10/4 evening game. I was in Ann Arbor for grad school many moons ago and although I had season tickets, never went to a game, argh. I sold the Ohio State ticket for what I paid for all of them, lol.

I follow the Wolverines every year they don't bomb out of the race from the get-go. They should still be in it that early in the season; I'm sure I'll go anyway. If you happen to catch the game on TV, I'll be the big 7-1/2 mos. sober guy in the Michigan jersey and the Rutgers cap come rain, snow, hell or high water. Go Blue!, and scarlet!, lol.
Nice! I'm a Rutgers alum and will also be making every effort to attend that game, the jump to the Big 10 is exciting and hosting a storied program like Michigan is awesome for the first season. Definitely a no-go for tailgating around the stadium for me though, too many drunken memories of that, for once I actually like that the stadium does not sell alcohol (it vexed me to no end during my drinking days).
Old 07-30-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Nice! I'm a Rutgers alum and will also be making every effort to attend that game, the jump to the Big 10 is exciting and hosting a storied program like Michigan is awesome for the first season. Definitely a no-go for tailgating around the stadium for me though, too many drunken memories of that, for once I actually like that the stadium does not sell alcohol (it vexed me to no end during my drinking days).
Lol, yeah, I think I'll skip the tailgating too, as well as the bottle of blackberry brandy my buddy and I use to take to the Jets-Giants preseason game we met up for a few times over the years.

I also think it's real cool Rutgers is now in the Big Ten, as well as Penn State which joined a while back. Lots of good history/teams in that conference including Michigan State and Ohio State (yuck) which Rutgers is also playing this year. I still crack up when I think of the Woody Hayes story. He was a great coach, creating Bo Schembechler, etc. but maybe was a little too into it, lol.