Notices

What do you do during the down times?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm a life long fan of "I Love Lucy". She's my go-to when I'm sad and don't know what else to do. Damn, she really does have me smiling ..... In rehab, I listed her as one of my "tools".
Bobbi
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Eat bacon. Have you ever seen anyone look sad while they are eating bacon?
LOL I'm vegetarian, but I did put away a lot of bacon prior to switching...

Run, Zumba, read, watch a good movie. Get coffee with a friend. And you know the old gratitude list.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i would gather there is a Peta vegan type somwhere who cried in deep guilt and shame while eating a delicious blt sandwich
Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I gotta chime in on the exercise front. I used to read thread after thread about how exercise helps so much in recovery and never bought in until this go 'round. I'll be damned, it really works!! I'm beginning to look forward to my nightly walk/run just as I looked forward to my nightly bottle of wine. Just get outside & move is my recommendation.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sometimes I have a shower and talk out what might be pissing me off...sorry, I'm weird, but it's therapeutic.

Nothing seems so bad after a shower.

But to others points, if the murk is a gap in addressing my recovery, I will read a book on recovery, or positive thinking....just for ways to look at something differently.

I also journal out my thoughts, good and bad. Looking back on the fact I got through a bad day, definitely helps and gives me strength and belief in myself.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Sometimes I have a shower and talk out what might be pissing me off...sorry, I'm weird, but it's therapeutic.
Ha! I've done this too, Croissant
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

im still working on this for sure. researching the zen/mindfulness philosophies has given me the idea of just "sitting with it". i like the idea, but it is problematic because i tend to go down "the dark tunnel"- my wifes term. in those cases i can paint my world as hopeless. hmmm... maybe im doing it wrong.

distraction is my go-to. reading if not too flustered. physical labor until wiped out is good because i feel as if i work some of it out, and then sleep better.

i really dont miss the feeling of drink, but it was a crutch in emotional emergencies that i dont think will ever be replaced. thats probably why it doesnt work. facing the music is the thing to do. it just stinks to dwell, and spin your wheels though.