Notices

Lost the job where do I go from here?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost the job where do I go from here?

I'm a 25 year old alcoholic who almost had 11 months sober until a few days ago when I started binge drinking and missing work. I was more or less hired on the spot because the restaurant I was working at just opened.

I have a VERY sparse employment history, and I don't know if I'll ever get hired on my employment history alone. I was hoping to go into the restaurant before they open tomorrow and apologize for being selfish and thanking them for the opportunity.

Where do I go from here?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

What helped you stay stopped for 11 months? Maybe do that and add to it? Apologizing might help, but keep moving forward in sobriety. You are worth it!!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome airmattress
Mending fences with your current employer sounds like a good thing to do.

as for where do you go from here - cast your net around and go for everything you can, jobwise if your current employer is done with you.

Sounds like time to start thinking about what you need to stay sober too?

D
Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. I think your decision is good. Go and apologize. Then go from there. It sounds like you are just down from this. 11 months shows your resolve. I havent had 11 months since i 15
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever you did to get 11 months sober, start doing it again and add to it. Welcome to the site.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As long as you are not drinking you will be able to find a job.

Making amends with your employer is the right thing to do. They may give you a good recommendation or may even hire you again given some time.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

The priority needs to be remaining Sober, there's no point in making amends with your employer to then have another slip, so hammering out a solid foundation to Sobriety is the best way forward.

Hopefully your employer takes you back!!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on 11 months of sobriety. That shows you can do it and also shows that this disease is constantly ready to pull us back in.
I would look for the reasons I drank and focus on them for repair along with other triggers I have.
Apologizing is certainly a good idea and a good way to clean up the wreckage of our past and hopefully we will learn from it.

BE WELL
Old 07-24-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

I was never fired from a job while sober, having taken on a variety of work situations that were both emotionally and intellectually challenging. After I started drinking again, there was a rapid succession of being asked never to return to work. One of them was a very high-profile job in which I was initially excelling and far exceeding expectations. (I lied during my interviews so as to conceal my then-recent job losses.) My success only provoked additional "celebrations" on my part until I was at first placed on probation and then ultimately let go.

Nothing gets better when we drink, and the losses and regrets only continue to mount. Whatever else is going on in our lives, we are doomed to make everything worse until we put down the drink.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To Airmatress,

I am so sorry that all this has happened. I don't see what you have to lose by going back to see if they will take you!!! In the meantime, worry never helps a thing....so get a good night's sleep.

At 25 years you have many opportunities to live a great life. At the top of the list is to get sober. You have admitted the problem and this is a great start. If you wait to get sober so many things will happen that your will regret, to say the least. We Alcoholics are born this way and the sooner your believe that the better off you will be.This is my opinion.

I listened to my Father, who had a few years Sobriety, and went to AA with him while visiting in Seattle. I saw beginners like me, those with some time, and those who had many many years. There were those who were a guest from the courts. You have time on your side and good health. At AA you will make many friends who will love you until you can love yourself. They understand your disease and the Hell you have been thru. You will identify and want to go if you are like me. They suggest doing the steps but you can just do the first three and the others very gradually.

I will pray that you get that job back and that you have Sobriety very soon. I will look for you here on SR. Be Blessed. We Care.....Ipanema P.S. Hope you secure a job tomorrow!!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Too bad I had to lose a job at 55 to get it. You have a long life ahead of you. Make the most of it.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This would be a good time to make a priority list. For us alcoholics, at the top of the list should be sobriety, because everything else in our lives suffers when we drink. Loss of job is actually a classic factor in determining if someone has alcoholism or is just a regular drinker. I've stopped trying to figure out what universal power causes this to happen, but when we drink things go to pot sooner or later. So make that list - put on it the 5 or 6 things that are important for you in your life. They could be as simple as time to pursue a hobby or as important as being a good significant other or family member for someone else. Here's the thing: Whatever your items are, they can be worked towards and achieved, possibly even exceeding your wildest dreams IF...IF...IF you stay sober.

Now I get it, it's an addiction and not easy to stop, or for others not so easy to "stay stopped"... so that's why we typically need help from others. I would make part of my plan getting to a support meeting like AA or any other group that works for you. SR is good too, but lots of people need direct, interpersonal contact to stay sober. It's not easy but everything on your list depends on it.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

airmattress, I am very sorry for your situation. I agree with everyone else that an apology would at least make you feel better. Maybe you can tell them your situation and if you are going to get sober, let them know that and ask them to consider re-hiring you at some point. Eleven months is a phenomenal accomplishment.

I was about 23 or 24 when I got fired for doing coke in the bar that I was working in. Just working in that bar was part of my downward spiral. I had already lost a lot from doing coke and drinking. From there I dragged my sorry ass back to my parents house and tried to start over. Well, I continued partying through my 20's until I met my husband at 30. I quit the drugs but have continued to drink way too much for the last 20 something years. You don't see the way that those of us that have wasted decades of our lives do. Many of us have wasted so much time, productivity, squandered opportunities for success and thrown away good relationships. You are so young and still at the beginning of your life. Fight for your self, your life and your sobriety. You can come out of this as a lesson learned or keep f***ing up your life like I did.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

airmattress- how are you doing?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To Airmatress,

Yes, thinking of you and hope your are getting along okay. Please let us know. We Care. We Know. Blessings, Ipanema
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey airmattress, I have been worried about you. Please check in with us and let us know how you are doing-even it is not good! We care.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are very young. A "spotty" employment history is not that unusual. Just get back on the sober train and remember most of life is yet ahead of you and people give young people chances.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by airmattress View Post
I'm a 25 year old alcoholic who almost had 11 months sober until a few days ago when I started binge drinking and missing work. I was more or less hired on the spot because the restaurant I was working at just opened.

I have a VERY sparse employment history, and I don't know if I'll ever get hired on my employment history alone. I was hoping to go into the restaurant before they open tomorrow and apologize for being selfish and thanking them for the opportunity.

Where do I go from here?
Good Evening Airmattress,

I am hoping you are okay. I will continue to light candles for you and pray. I learned that my Alcoholism had damaged my brain and it needed to heal. It made sense because, after 21 days, I did not have a desire to drink. UNLESS, I had triggers such as being near or in a bar, around others drinking, or having a significant other issue(s)....anything frustrating. If low on funds they advised signing up for temp work, asking a clergymember for help, whoever could help you get back on your feet. I hope you have access to a computer and know that we care and will love you until you can love yourself..God Bless and I'll see you on SR soon...please!!! Blessings, Ipanema