Notices
View Poll Results: What's your IQ if you know it?
under 60
7.09%
60-69
0.71%
70-79
0%
80-89
0%
90-**
0.71%
100-109
2.13%
110-119
4.26%
120-129
24.11%
130-139
29.08%
140 and over
31.91%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

What's your IQ?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Yes, a book came out years ago about Emotional Intelligence and how it was a much bigger indicator of personal success. I can't imagine we at SR are real high in that range, at least not before recovery.
I think I have a copy around here someplace. Might be time to dust it off.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Intro: http://www.yale.edu/21c/documents/21...telligence.pdf
Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
See? I told you!

-18. That's where I'm at.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I never heard anyone humming Shakespeare. Now THAT is smart!

I just erased my 200 word response. I got it out and read it. Then erased it. But I left the Shakespeare comment.

It's dumb to be smarter than everyone else.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Ever think about getting familiar?
No, I can't say that I am.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
pray for strength

'IQ' prompts an internal 'Iko Iko an nay' jukebox and shuffle... Fun times. Thanks for this thread dSober.

My grandma and your grandma
Sitting by the fire
My grandma says to your grandma
"I'm gonna set your flag on fire"

Talkin' 'bout
Hey now
Hey now
Iko iko an nay...
Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

what's that test where you look at the ink blots? is that part of iq? I took that in middle school and every blot looked like a women with her legs spread to me but i lied and said it looked like two indians or something
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
"I'm gonna set your flag on fire"
Burn baby burn.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
every blot looked like a women with her legs spread to me but i lied and said it looked like two indians or something
Funny, me too, lol. My dad always told me I had a one track mind. I think it was in my pants.

Online Rorschach Test
Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

L-O-L!

The inkblot test is called the Rorschach test, Cabo!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I remember taking these as a kid in maybe middle school. Because in 9th grade math I was struggling and the teacher said, you should be able to handle this, your IQ is high enough. So, it was no genius, somewhere in the high teens..118, something like that. Did summer school that year. I remember that day thinking what a jerk this man is, I'm simply not getting algebra, and you bring up IQ...rather than offer help, just said, I should not be having a problem. Never thought much of those tests after that.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
Never thought much of those tests after that.
I try not to throw out the baby with the bath water. There is some value to these tests. Actual milage may vary. Not everybody loves math. Some lean more heavily to the creative side. I'm surprised we don't all walk around with our heads tilted to the heavier side.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

As much as they say it is an intelligence test i don't see how it could be anything but an aptitude test...i don't know if its possible to make a test measuring intelligence...what if you get a kid that grew up in an isolated area that is illiterate and never studied math..
Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

i have a friend of mine who is super intelligent university educated degree in maths etc but try and get him to wire up a plug or do something simple

he is also a great chess player and he would beat me time and time again until i learned how to play the game and he told me he could see me beating him in time as he could see how quick i was to learn the art of manipulation
its a natural talent for me lol and its very handy to have it in chess as you have to make other people do what you want them to do : )

when you get good at it you can hide your attacks by offering up things for them to take and if they spot this well you have to look deeper and deeper to find a way that it will work out in your favour
this is how i learnd to play chess and i ended up beating my well educated friend over and over again now as he can not see my attacks or tries to hard to defend
so my chess ranking is about 1900 although i have given up chess these days but i believe a grandmaster is 2200 and most players can get upto 1600 to 1700 so i dont know if thats a measure of intelligence or what it proves about brain boxes v a street wise bloke who has no formal qualifications ?

how intelligent am i ? about as smart as 2 short planks really, and yet i have intelligence
Old 07-24-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

yes..and that is why chess is like poker and proof street smarts can be applied anywhere
Old 07-24-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
how quick i was to learn the art of manipulation
Play poker Pete? Sounds like you do Cabo. My favorite game. Online is legal in NJ now. Still prefer F2F but 90 min. drive for me.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

IQ? Don't know. What I do know is that I was "smart" enough to keep drinking and expecting different results every time.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thirdtime View Post
IQ? Don't know. What I do know is that I was "smart" enough to keep drinking and expecting different results every time.
Good job "Einstein". Me too. Lol!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I've always liked to do all sorts of psychological and cognitive tests and have taken hundreds since my teens. Some I did as volunteer in controlled research studies.

In the IQ tests, when I took them long time ago, what I found interesting and useful wasn't the overall score, but breaking it down by the different sections of the test that measure different kinds of abilities. That way, I got some interesting insights into what I am naturally good at.

Cabo, I just spent a few hours staring at those inkblots online a couple weeks ago, and reading up on the interpretations. I totally failed at seeing those sexual symbols in all of them, and I did see a lot of stuff in them. I was a bit surprised because that's not how I know myself..., but knowing my motivations perhaps it's not surprising at all.

Chess is probably my favorite game that one can play with others 1:1. My dad taught me when I was a kid and we played countless times. There was also one of our neighbors, another kid, that we played with. I recall "falling in love" with this boy mostly because he was such a great chess player and also had other hobbies that I liked as well. Hmm maybe I should have seen chess figures in the Rorschach test, rather than naughty images... Sadly, the boy next door became a very serious alcoholic in his 20's and I have no clue what happened to him later.

Going back to the intelligence/IQ topic: I'm not sure there is much association between intelligence and the vulnerability to addictions. In fact, addiction is infamously known to not discriminate based on mental abilities. I think that it may seem like recovering addicts are a super intelligent bunch because we have developed a high level of self-awareness and problem solving skills on this journey. And as a consequence, we may overvalue intelligence. But does it really help us beat an addiction? I don't think so... in fact, probably sometimes it hinders the process of recovery at least initially.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
in fact, probably sometimes it hinders the process of recovery at least initially.
I believe it did me.