Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part V: "Rise of Sober Cow" –everybody run!

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part V: "Rise of Sober Cow" –everybody run!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
The only thing about the killing to live philosophy, is the assumption that life truly ends when we die here. That a "killing" actually took place.
Wait,,,,, What?!? So its ok to eat living things bc their life is not over when they die? Cannibalism would be ok under this theory.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

We are all going to die of something. Some philosophies believe all death is suicide.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

The only thing about the killing to live philosophy, is the assumption that life truly ends when we die here. That a "killing" actually took place.
I not believe consciousness survive death, but putting this aside, "killing" still seem cruel and unusual. I mean, personal, I never been killed, but whether you is stab in the street during robbery, or hung up by you leg while cattle rancher gently slit you throat, or have big chunk of you back ripped off by lion while you trying to run away, I has to say, it look pretty darn terrifying and painful to me.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

I am not saying that I condone "killing", murder or cannibalism. I am just saying that I don't believe that my body is me. It houses "me." And in this realm, we seem to need to have an explanation of our exiting, which we call death and we all have different "exit plans." I do not believe that our "deaths" here are the end, but I certainly respect others' rights to their opinions.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Of course no one condone killing. Although if my neighbor not finish re-tiling project soon, I maybe re-think my position.
Aha, Dragon! Now I see "Course in Miracles" signature quote. I read all that stuff and tapes at one time. Did whole Abraham stuff. LOA. But eventual, like Catholicism and other things, I decide was just more stories, different stories that feel good to believe. I not mean disrespect to say that. I total agree with you everybody has right to they own beliefs. And while I not believe it channel by supernatural collective of all-knowing beings, to this day, I still think is lot of good wisdoms in "Ask and It Is Given".
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

So, now I see that you are not a sheep, Cow.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

I am not saying that I condone "killing", murder or cannibalism. I am just saying that I don't believe that my body is me. It houses "me." And in this realm, we seem to need to have an explanation of our exiting, which we call death and we all have different "exit plans." I do not believe that our "deaths" here are the end, but I certainly respect others' rights to their opinions.
Beautifully put.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Cow this will cheer you up.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

I know it was meant for Cow, but it cheered me up, Nefer!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

I have no problem with killing to survive. I'm vegetarian, but mostly cause of factory farming. One day my bones are going to be fertilizing the plants. It's a cycle of give and take.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Yes, gardendiva, and organ donation. Plus, who am I to judge what kind of death is worse than another ~ being murdered by stabbing or suffering six months with cancer?!? Frankly, the only palatable death I ever heard of was my husband's grandfather's death. In his late eighties, he decided to take a nap on his couch and never woke up. I think that sounds very peaceful, but I suppose it could make some people afraid to fall asleep.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Yes, gardendiva, and organ donation.
Please don't bury me
down in the cold cold ground
I'd rather have 'em cut me up
And pass me all around.
-John Prine
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Gdiva, I'll see what can be arranged. "Long pig" anyone?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've read some on cannibalism, back in the days when I read. I had a thing for "very bad things happen to people in very cold places" and the search for the Northwest Passage inevitably comes into play. I then extended my genre to "very bad things happen to people in very brutal places." But I digress.

There are 3 recognized types of cannibalism: ritual (Aztecs, Polynesia, probably all ancient cultures), survival (common to all cultures throughout history), and individual perversion (Jeffrey Dahmer). They are quite different, and the first two types are not considered pathological. Most people who have practiced survival cannibalism and lived to tell about it go back to lead quite normal lives.

Someone at the end of a short branch of my family tree was in the Donner party. You may be fewer degrees of separation from a cannibal than you think, 's all I'm saying
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

John Prine sings about organ donation, not cannibilism. Just saying.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Courage, the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" comes to mind.

Sometimes Karma is right there where you don't expect it.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

...whether you is stab in the street during robbery, or hung up by you leg while cattle rancher gently slit you throat, or have big chunk of you back ripped off by lion while you trying to run away, I has to say, it look pretty darn terrifying and painful to me.

Ja!

almost as bad as when we're doin' it to ourselves over decades of drinking and drugging.
except that way can be so s-l--o---w ...well, i was so enmeshed in it, of course, that i usually couldn't step away to any kind of distance to gain or keep awareness just how terrifying and painful it was.

hang on, Cow.
we're all hanging with you.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Hang on cow, just hang the f*ck on..... Brilliant and simple
Old 07-28-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Hang the f**k on Cow.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I've read some on cannibalism, back in the days when I read. I had a thing for "very bad things happen to people in very cold places" and the search for the Northwest Passage inevitably comes into play. I then extended my genre to "very bad things happen to people in very brutal places." But I digress.

There are 3 recognized types of cannibalism: ritual (Aztecs, Polynesia, probably all ancient cultures), survival (common to all cultures throughout history), and individual perversion (Jeffrey Dahmer). They are quite different, and the first two types are not considered pathological. Most people who have practiced survival cannibalism and lived to tell about it go back to lead quite normal lives.

Someone at the end of a short branch of my family tree was in the Donner party. You may be fewer degrees of separation from a cannibal than you think, 's all I'm saying
The poster that generated this tangent said killing to eat is not wrong bc life does not end with the death that was initiated to obtain the food resource. So I wasn't really thinking about eating the dead bodies of people that died in a plane crash or died of starvation or died from freezing to death. That is not causing death for food. It is just good waste management IMHO.

Someone who says it is ok to kill to obtain food for your own survival is saying it is ok to do something far more heinous than the above. The above is like eating road kill. Eating road kill is probably the only moral way to obtain meat, IMHO. And only then if you don't drive. What was suggested is far worse. It is, for example, seeing a deer, then thinking, I'm hungry, I'm going to stalk and brutally murder that beautiful living thing and then eat it bc my needs and my life are way more important than that deer's. Now insert the name of a human you know in place of the deer. I think both are wrongful acts. One is worse but just barely. IMHO.

I'm guessing no one else here see's it this way though. Even Cow is shocked, I think. I am not surprised. I even got a (joking) PM from one reader saying the padded wagon is on its way.