Notices

Story time: last drink and/or time to get sober?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dinner party I threw where I'd made an enormous container of sangria (this was the end of 1 month of attempting to drink in moderation, which succeeded at first but quickly escalated). Woke up still drunk at 3am and got so sick that by 5am I was in the ER getting fluids & anti-nausea meds via IV. Actually today I was going through old text messages from that night and saw many drunk ones I'd sent, and at the time I had no idea I was even drunk or was drinking that much. The few times I'd drank before that I felt very self-aware and in control, so it was a big wake-up call to see how much this occasion snuck up on me.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Not my last drink, but close to it. At the hospital waiting for my niece to be born...and I had drank like usual the night before. Realized I didn't want her growing up seeing a drunk for an aunt. Quit within 2 weeks.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My last drink was on Thursday, June 26, 2014. I gave up vodka due to the regular blackouts in January so on my last day I drank my normal 10 beers and passed out. When I woke up on Friday, the pains that I had been feeling for quite some time in my lower right side, at the bottom of my ribcage, and upper abdomen (where the two sides of the ribcage meet) were now radiating to my back. A mix of sharp and dull pains that would come and go every 20 minutes or so. This was in addition to waking up drenched in sweat, panic, feelings of doom. I did not know how I was going to make it through the day. I managed to get back to sleep at woke up at 2 pm. The sweats were gone but I still felt absolutely horrible. Splitting headache, I could barely read my phone. My eyes were burning and felt swollen. I fell back asleep and woke at 6 pm. The radiating pains to my back began to really scare me. I knew I had two choices: stop drinking or die. I managed to fall asleep that night and slept through the night. I felt a little better the next day but very agitated.

I am now on day 19 and the pains in my back have stopped. The pains in my sides are 90 percent gone and I feel alive again. It has not been easy, even with the feelings of doom and death from June 26. I have had many white knuckle moments but I am forging ahead. I never want to feel like I did on June 26, ever, ever again.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My last drunk..........
I was sober, I thought I could drink normally, I thought i could have fun, I thought nothing bad will happen that time, I drank on the lie. I got drunk, bad things went down, I paid the consequences and paid in full with interest. Each and every drunk-a-log is the same story, the scenery changes, the names change, but they are all the same. You hear one, you heard them all. Storys are good for the newcomer or still suffering alcoholic to relate. I am not unique, I am just one ant that has the same problem(s) as a million or more other ants.

When I recovered I could only do so with the help of others. You see I tried it by myself for so long, and it failed each and every time. A sick mind can not heal a sick mind, that is a simple and straightforward fact. I needed something other then myself. I found it and it has helped millions of other men, women, boys and girls to recover as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My last drink was the perfect last drink. The nice one; the one you fantasise about having when you try and kid yourself that you can drink again. A large gin and tonic with ice, sipped slowly over a couple of hours on a Friday night, immersed in a good book.

But the book was a book on quitting drinking, and the night before had been closer to two bottles of wine. So that was a goodbye drink, my last drink. One sad, sweet kiss from an abusive lover, the sort that makes you wonder if all the pain was in your head.

That was early March 2014.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Last time for me was when I was at my nephews birthday party and there was vodka and mixers.. I had a drink in hand the whole time we were there.. Then the family and I went to another party and I told myself that I'd lay off the rest of the evening and did not... It became so compulsive and I was tired of the power it had over me..
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My last drinks were in February 2010. I had been in and out of AA for most of a decade, and was put on Naltexone by a shrink. I had a few experimental drinks a night or two after starting the prescription, and decided after that that I was well and truly done with drinking.

I've experienced moments of temptation, but nothing that would truly make me want to go back to drinking.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Afteralcohol View Post
But the book was a book on quitting drinking, and the night before had been closer to two bottles of wine. So that was a goodbye drink, my last drink...
Just curious, but was it Alan Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Drinking?" He recommends a farewell drink in his book. He makes pretty ambitious claims about the effectiveness of his approach, and there was a lot in there that I disagreed with. That said, I must admit that I read it almost exactly at the time I finally took my last drink.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I decided to stop drinking and started taking Antabuse. As it built up in my system I kept drinking. Until it started making me feel sick around day 2 1/2. I'm around 5 weeks now.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Just curious, but was it Alan Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Drinking?" He recommends a farewell drink in his book. He makes pretty ambitious claims about the effectiveness of his approach, and there was a lot in there that I disagreed with. That said, I must admit that I read it almost exactly at the time I finally took my last drink.
Nope, Lucy Rocca's Sober Revolution. Until I read it, I didn't know that it was going to be a last drink, but as I read, I sipped more and more slowly and thought - well, let's see.

I haven't read Alan Carr, but I know his approach and I'm not a fan, honestly. I feel like both Carr and Jason Vale completely misunderstand addiction. But if it works for people, obviously that's great.