Notices

Follow the order or not?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Follow the order or not?

Hi friends, again

This time I'm seeking help with something I hope does not qualify as seeking medical advice.

I've been seeing a therapist for a few weeks now. He also wanted me to see a psychiatrist, and I did. The psychiatrist I saw did the textbook evals on me, I know them very well since I do research in that area. He also told me I'm "hard to treat" because of my knowledge, but told me I might benefit from an antidepressant med regime. My therapist and this psychiatrist doctor work together. He (the psychiatrist) said he would prescribe it for me, and then I would need to judge whether or not I want to go on the meds.

I got the meds from the pharmacy, and have been staring at them now for hours. I think I don't need them to maintain my sobriety or to develop the person I know and like to be. But I also absolutely appreciate that perhaps I could be/do things in ways I had never imagined, if my brain chemistry did not get in the way.

Anyone with similar experience?
Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried prozac back in the 90s and didn't the jittery side effects, but I have no doubt it saved my life.

I've been on another trycyclic antidepressant now for a year with absolutely no problems.

It hasn't changed the essential me at all except I have less nerve pain now.

You're going to hear experiences both for and against.

I think in the end it's up to you Haennie.

D
Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took Zoloft for a year many years ago. I had some normal side effects. I found it moderated things out a bit - what it should do. I did not like the moderation so I stopped after about a year. From my experience with psychotropic medications its about finding the right chemistry. So it is a bit of a trial and error and if you have a really good psychiatrist and therapist setup that is not just pumping out scripts you can find something that might enhance your life.

Good luck
Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you go next session and the shrink tells you he thinks you need to be on them for your whole life...you will know what time it is...in the meantime..nothing ventured..nothing gained
Old 06-20-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lexapro worked well for me when I needed it. No jitters, nothing too profound, just a general lifting of my mood. I also don't like the thought of depending on any meds, or other substances, to enhance my mental state, but I did benefit from it and would consider it again.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Citalopram worked wonders for me. I was very emotional when newly sober and it helped stabilise my moods so that the lows were bearable. I took it for about 8-10 months. Had a few difficult days when I tapered off them, but I would use them again if I felt I needed to.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
But I also absolutely appreciate that perhaps I could be/do things in ways I had never imagined, if my brain chemistry did not get in the way.

Anyone with similar experience?
I took a lot of substances to "do things in ways I had never imagined" and they all lead to a slippery slope for me.

:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

My thoughts are diet and exercise, meditation and prayer, time in nature and protecting ourselves from negative energy can work wonders. But I have never done meds so I can't speak to their effectiveness or otherwise.

Hoping for some relief and peace for you regardless of what you choose.

XO AO
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by alphaomega
My thoughts are diet and exercise, meditation and prayer, time in nature and protecting ourselves from negative energy can work wonders. But I have never done meds so I can't speak to their effectiveness or otherwise.
I have done psych meds. All kinds and various combinations, on and off over a span of 25 years...only to find that what alphaomega says here has been true for me. It's been working well for over 7 years now. I would consider medication if I found myself in a crisis situation, but would not consider it long term. That's just my personal choice based on years of experience.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

Hoping for some relief and peace for you regardless of what you choose.

XO AO
The underlined is what I do too. I briefly tried Paxil years and years ago
but did not like side effects.

The "natural methods" described above work well for me but I find I have
to be consistent and can't slack off for even a week or two without some
impact. Still better than side effects from pills as far as I am concerned, however.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm not a med person myself - but I understand they do help a lot of people.

My question would be this - Your therapist said you "might" benefit from them, and then the psych said you cold decide if you wanted to take them or not. Maybe you already did, but i'd counter them with asking what the benefits "MIGHT" be and if there are non-medicinal ways of achieving the same benefit.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I have done psych meds. All kinds and various combinations, on and off over a span of 25 years...only to find that what alphaomega says here has been true for me. It's been working well for over 7 years now. I would consider medication if I found myself in a crisis situation, but would not consider it long term. That's just my personal choice based on years of experience.

I could have written this post. Agree 100%. Healthy diet with plenty of protein, moderate exercise, meditation, prayer and nature.

For crisis situations, I add journaling and increase exercise. I cut my doctor off. No more prescriptions.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeah, I've also been told one way or another that because of the work I used to do and my education, that I would be hard to deal with when in therapy, although I always thought that would be an advantage and help me to get more out of the sessions. One counselor even confronted me before the group meeting, telling me my knowledge and experience would be a problem, and he didn't say this in a nice way. Just told him that if I knew what he knew, I wouldn't bother to put in the time to be there and left.
About medication; I do take medication for anxiety and depression but don't rely on it to make a big difference for me. I am also involved in therapy, see a psychiatrist and go to AA meetings a few times a week. I just don't think medication alone is the answer, but it can help.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Meds have helped me escape from the depths of crushing depression. They also keep me from drinking because I know the interactions are horrible and can be fatal. It's different for everyone. How do you feel? Do you feel like they'd help? Maybe continue with therapy for now and if you feel you need them in the future take them then.

Good luck. xoxox
Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started Lexapro 1.5 weeks after I stopped drinking--so, it's a little hard to say what changes are from the meds and what are from sobriety. That said, I'd had many failed attempts where my mood problems made early sobriety too hard and this time I've been doing very well (83 days and I feel great.)

My plan with my doc is to experiment with tapering off after 6 months. But if that goes badly and I end up taking lexapro my whole life, I will be fine with that. I am grateful to be sober with a stable mood and anything that helps with that is a blessing.

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I took a lot of substances to "do things in ways I had never imagined" and they all lead to a slippery slope for me.
SSRIs do not work like that. They are not habit forming in that way. I don't have the slightest impulse to take extra pills and if I did, I wouldn't get high, I'd just get sick.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, been there. I was a "hard to treat" too because of a degree in psychology. I was always aversive to the suggestion of meds. It's been quite a few years since I was on meds. I have been given anxiolytics, antidepressants, and another med (can't remember which now) to get me out of a manic phase once. Every single time I obsessed over side effects. Went online, looked over all the possible side effects, and talked myself out of taking the meds eventually. Guess I "grew out of" most of those emotional issues over time. Anyway, I wish I had some great wisdom to share about the usefulness of the meds. But I don't. The only one that seemed to actually help was the one that got me out of the manic phase. But I eventually quit taking it too. If I'm bipolar, it's definitely bipolar II and must be something I've just learned to deal with.

I tend to think that if you're severely depressed, they might be worth it. But, then again, I'm not the best client/patient
Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Are you hesitating to take it because you don't think you need it, or are you hesitating because you don't want to be a person who needs it?

sometimes we don't like the diagnosis so we reject the cure.

only you know the answer to that
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Haennie, How long have you been sober? I ask because I believe it relevant.
We need a little time to see what the drugs/alcohol were possibly masking, if anything.
Give our ourselves a decent adjustment period.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I started with the SSRI anti-depressant, Paxil in 1995 for what my Dr. called Situational Depression. After the crisis, I stayed on it because 1) I felt so much better 2) my social anxiety all but disappeared 3) it surprisingly helped with two other stress related medical issues I suffered from: ringing in the ears, and flushing of my face and ears.

I recently changed to another SSRI, Lexapro. And the results have been good.

As someone else stated, my basic personality didn't change, I just felt happier, more confident and I no longer suffered from physical issues related to stress. I expect to take some type of SSRI for the rest of my life. I would do so if only for the relief of the ringing in my ears and the facial flushing. Those two symptoms alone we're a major source of discomfort.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Regarding side effects, I had some of the usual symptoms for the first month: dry mouth; a little bit of sweating around the neck area, constipation and a few nights of insomnia.