Notices

Actually Resisted a Serious Urge

Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Actually Resisted a Serious Urge

I know 2 days sober doesn't sound like a huge accomplishment, but for me it has been a long time to be sober without having a good reason (as if my own life and sanity weren't good enough reasons).

I was driving home today past a liquor store I would frequent and the urge to drink just slapped me in the face. Man, I was so close to pulling in but I was able to drive past, white knuckled. And when I got home... I remembered I had that bottle of wine I got for Easter! I almost started crying and ran to the back yard to gulp some fresh air and something hit me out there; that I just didn't need it, that my conscious life and thoughts are just too precious to waste in an alcoholic oblivion.

In that moment of clarity, I walked in to the kitchen, violently opened the bottle of wine and dumped that c**p down the drain and flung the bottle in the garbage with triumph. Any remaining anxiety simply melted away to a dull roar that was manageable.

I've never been able to do this in the evening before (in the mornings I would vow never to drink again, dump out what I had left and end up buying more that evening). Evenings have always been my drinking time for "winding down" (e.g. drinking until passing out) and there was always that switch that flipped around three o four o' clock that went from "I won't drink tonight" to "I can't wait to drink tonight." This little act gives me a lot of hope that I may be able to actually do it this time.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you did that comingoutsober - it might just be a big step forward

D
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you!!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My old favorite beer store is hard to pass some days .

I think I'll look for a diffrent route
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bless you, you did it!
That WAS big! You can be very proud of your inner strength and courage. Keep up the good work
Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really an accomplishment , first one is the hardest , second is just a little easier
And so on.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good going! To drive past the store with a craving only to have booze at home and STILL manage to overcome it. That's amazing! Great job!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by comingoutsober View Post
I know 2 days sober doesn't sound like a huge accomplishment, but for me it has been a long time to be sober without having a good reason (as if my own life and sanity weren't good enough reasons).

I was driving home today past a liquor store I would frequent and the urge to drink just slapped me in the face. Man, I was so close to pulling in but I was able to drive past, white knuckled. And when I got home... I remembered I had that bottle of wine I got for Easter! I almost started crying and ran to the back yard to gulp some fresh air and something hit me out there; that I just didn't need it, that my conscious life and thoughts are just too precious to waste in an alcoholic oblivion.

In that moment of clarity, I walked in to the kitchen, violently opened the bottle of wine and dumped that c**p down the drain and flung the bottle in the garbage with triumph. Any remaining anxiety simply melted away to a dull roar that was manageable.

I've never been able to do this in the evening before (in the mornings I would vow never to drink again, dump out what I had left and end up buying more that evening). Evenings have always been my drinking time for "winding down" (e.g. drinking until passing out) and there was always that switch that flipped around three o four o' clock that went from "I won't drink tonight" to "I can't wait to drink tonight." This little act gives me a lot of hope that I may be able to actually do it this time.
What you did is HUGE!

That feeling of hope that you got when you did that? It actually increases in strength and grows into sheer happiness. I'm still of the mindset that the pink cloud in the beginning comes when you realize that you can actually do this. It almost makes you want to hug yourself.

Sobriety is a freedom like no other. Keep doing what you're doing, it gets better, a LOT better!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I remember well thinking I'm never going to be able to make it through this craving without drinking.

Then I did. Then I did it again.

Now it's a habit.

Great job. keep it going!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support all! Today is day 3 and I drove by (another) favorite liquor store for me but I just said to myself "that's not me anymore" and kept driving. Unfortunately, this will happen a lot in the future as I was one of those that went to different liquor stores every night so the person working wouldn't suspect I had a problem (although I'm sure they had at least an inkling...). But I think those tests each day will just help me grow my coping mechanism.

Thank you all again so much for the support, I'm finally realizing what wonderful energy and support this community has to offer that I'm just now tapping into.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice going, comingoutsober. Congrats on 3 days.