Notices

Powdered Alcohol Product Nearing Release

Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The main reason I think this could take off is the space. It's now alcohol in a powder. Picture this in prisons...kids trying to be sneaky, nothing good will come of this.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am actually speechless.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
This just in...

'Update 4/21/2014 5:45 PDT: It has now come to light that Palcohol received approval for their label, not the product. A representative for the federal bureau said that the approval was made in error, though details were not provided about how the error occurred. Palcohol creator Mark Phillips was not available for comment, but agreed to surrender the approvals this afternoon. Phillips will likely re-evaluate the situation and try for approval on his labels again.'

Note: Adult Language in this Website Address. A few more Palcohol Product details here, too.

I F**king Love Science.com

I read elsewhere that attempts to patent Palcohol would cover only very limited aspects of the Product, and would not necessarily prevent Marketplace competition from other Manufacturers. Perhaps these Patents now being applied for address only the flavoring aspect? This possibility would also dovetail with Posts above that a similar, existing Product is already sold elsewhere. Thus, what is there really to patent?

Thank you for posting this!!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

not to mention putting the powder in someones food without them knowing
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Powdered Alcohol Products Sold Internationally

The helpful Post by fjd123 on Page 2 of this Thread led me to quickly find the 2 Sites linked below. In other Countries/Markets, a version of this Product already exists. The Marketing Strategy and Target Markets are identified. Note the respective ages of these Articles.

A Science Magazine many of us read as Kids recently posted an Article with very precise, step-by-step DIY instructions to make this sort of Powdered Alcohol 'Additive' at home. I won't post the Link to it, since that would be akin to posting DIY Bomb-making Instructions on an Aviation Forum. Suffice to say, it wasn't Rocket Science. The main Ingredient was similar to that identified by fjd123, but was easier to obtain than that Commercial Grade. The Author was quite pleased with the results.

My Retired HS Teacher/Wife first saw this 'Palcohol' Story on 'The Today Show' yesterday morning. She related one of many stories from ~3 Decades Teaching in a small, 'Cow Town' High School.

Some years back, a Kid 'stressed out' about Senior Class Finals came in the Classroom tardy with a 'Big Gulp' Cup full of straight Vodka liberated from his Parents' Liquor Cabinet. She rather quickly picked up on his condition, as did the Kids around him. He eventually passed out cold on his Desk, snoring. Right then, the Bell rang. The other Kids left. Acting quickly, she summoned the Principal and the School Nurse to monitor the Kid's condition and called the Kid's Parents. BOY, do Parents get P.O.ed when they have to leave Work because Junior mucked up. Old news to my Wife. She used her experience gained over many such cases to focus Correction Action on these situations. There were formal School District Guidelines on what steps to take for Health, Safety and Legal reasons.

The Kid woke up ~1.5 hours after this last Class of the day finished. The Kid was suspended for 5 days, and did graduate.

I think it reasonable to assume that Powder-based versions of this HS Story await if/when Powdered Alcohol hits the Market. Getting your Date 'extra' Drunk with this sort of 'Roofie' is another possibility.

Note that the Control Mechanisms for these Products, sold abroad at places like Gas Stations, was Taxation; not Legislation. I've got other Webpages to Mod elsewhere, so I haven't taken the time to research what the current status is of these Products.

27 May 2005 ~ Deutche Welle - German National Broadcaster

Experts Warn About Powdered Alcohol

06 June 2007 ~ Reuters

Students Invent Alcohol Powder - Just Add Water
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
'Palcohol' is powdered Alcohol in a Packet now being Patented for Market release. From the Product Website:
Does nothing for my Recovery

Mountainmanbob
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

With the smoking alcohol thing,

It's on youtube actually…

Also on drugforums.com there have been cases where people tried "shooting" up whiskey. Surely thats close to death.

Not sure if it's true but there are threads about it.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I will just stick with Goody's Headache Powders.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raguse View Post
With the smoking alcohol thing,

It's on youtube actually…

Also on drugforums.com there have been cases where people tried "shooting" up whiskey. Surely thats close to death.

Not sure if it's true but there are threads about it.
So people are already smoking and shooting it? Not sure who thought powdered alcohol was a good idea.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

First thought: why werent these available when i was still drinking?
Second thought: i would most likely be dead.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

This brings up another thought I had. The big reason I am an alcoholic is it is the only drug that is readily available, will never run out, don't need an Rx. I think alot of prescribed meds should be OTC. It is my job to look after me. I don't blame the liquor store, but I know i would do less damage to my body if say I could buy clomazepam or temazepam over the counter and not have to have the opinion of a Dr. who may see me twice a year for 10 minutes make that decision for me. In another words, i don't get addicted to temazepam and even if i were, it is better for me than to down a fifth of vodka a night.

All this is an otc drug that actually works. GHB was once legal and worked the same way. I personally love GHB back in the day. Best sleep I ever got. Someone claims they got raped and now it is illeagal. Soon as a kid shoots up a school for taking this, same thing will happen.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I heard the other day that some company was shipping orders of smoothies filled with a lot of alcohol to people. Pathetic. The FDA was looking into it.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

dude's poised to get rich, no doubt. my buddies and i would have bought a case or two of this crap for sure, in college. its target market, only spoken about behind closed doors, will be the young.

i remember the novelty of jello shots. me and my crew thought of them as "boosters" because they are so sneaky. -one minute buzzed, then hammered, all the sudden.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
So people are already smoking and shooting it? Not sure who thought powdered alcohol was a good idea.

Yep,

Drugsforum.com has some very strange threads happening

Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

The alcohol industry really makes me sick sometimes. There are lots of things that can be done, but shouldn't be.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I think snorting it may be a more common practice/problem. Here is a response from the manufacturer on that:

"Let’s talk about the elephant in the room….snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you’ll get drunk almost instantly because the alcohol will be absorbed so quickly in your nose. Good idea? No. It will mess you up. Use Palcohol responsibly."

Approving a product like this is completely irresponsible and ridiculous
Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Neo Citron that powdered cold/night-time cold/flu medicine that you can buy OTC (Over the counter) at any drug or grocery store actually has alcohol in it. Oh, and by the way, Neo Citron is in powder form. I would be more scared of the new age electronic cigarette, people can put anything they want in those things and the government doesnt even regulate it.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Grateful

In another words, i don't get addicted to temazepam and even if i were, it is better for me than to down a fifth of vodka a night.
Ask anyone who has tried to get off of benzos if they are better for them than alcohol.

Neo Citron that powdered cold/night-time cold/flu medicine that you can buy OTC (Over the counter) at any drug or grocery store actually has alcohol in it.
There is no alcohol in NeoCitran powdered formulas.

Medicinal Ingredients: Acetaminophen (325 mg), Phenylephrine hydrochloride (10 mg), Pheniramine maleate (20 mg). Non-medicinal Ingredients: Acesulfame K, calcium phosphate, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavours, maltodextrin, silicon dioxide, sodium citrate, sucrose.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

This would be hilarious if it wasn't true. It seems almost satirical like you read it off The Onion or something. It's a sad reality that they do indeed market toward alcoholics. There's so many ways this products release can go wrong so,I can see this being challenged here in the United States easily.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Use Palcohol responsibly
Yeah a similar warning was on every bottle of whiskey and beer I ever drank . . . that clearly worked to curb my drinking!!