Notices

First Meeting

Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA member

You don't have to share in a meeting if you don't want to dollpart.Sit and listen for a few meetings,until you feel more comfortable.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Dollpart,

Hooray! On attending your first meeting and a even bigger Hooray to you for speaking up and sharing how you were feeling while at the meeting. That is more than most care to do.

Dont worry about all the rest. Just take it one meeting and one day at a time. A suggestion to you at this time is to identify the times when you feel the urge to drink and fill those urges with attending meetings.

You did well and you showed you are strong by not drinking when you had the urge and by attending a meeting instead. But although you were able to to to the pub and fight the urge to drink tonight you may not be so strong in the future... Avoid those opportunities by staying away from the pubs for s bit.

One saying I love to share that I heard once is: "hang around a barber shop enough and eventually you will get your hair cut." Same goes for pubs and drinking... Hang around the pubs enough and eventually you'll drink again.,, so avoid them at all costs (pubs not barber shops lol!) Keep strong and go to meetings and youll be fine
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Dollpart. Congratulations on such a big step.

And for going home afterwards, not to the pub.

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Thanks.

I hope I do... I will. There's a meeting tomorrow but two in a week might just exhaust me... it was exhausting admitting stuff.
Drinking is exhausting honey, there's a lot of work to put into sobriety, it's not just about "not drinking". I'm not in AA, but regardless, it's a daily commitment to actively building a new life.

I admire anyone who takes those steps, any steps toward a future without alcohol. AA may not be for everyone, but just taking some action to explore what might work for you is huge.

Be well.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ryno03272009 View Post
Dollpart,

Hooray! On attending your first meeting and a even bigger Hooray to you for speaking up and sharing how you were feeling while at the meeting. That is more than most care to do.

Dont worry about all the rest. Just take it one meeting and one day at a time. A suggestion to you at this time is to identify the times when you feel the urge to drink and fill those urges with attending meetings.

You did well and you showed you are strong by not drinking when you had the urge and by attending a meeting instead. But although you were able to to to the pub and fight the urge to drink tonight you may not be so strong in the future... Avoid those opportunities by staying away from the pubs for s bit.

One saying I love to share that I heard once is: "hang around a barber shop enough and eventually you will get your hair cut." Same goes for pubs and drinking... Hang around the pubs enough and eventually you'll drink again.,, so avoid them at all costs (pubs not barber shops lol!) Keep strong and go to meetings and youll be fine
Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it. It's so hard trying to avoid situations where I would normally drink (like... most situations) but I'm up to 5 days now... I want to make it to my next meeting without having had a drink... that'll be two weeks...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Hi Dollpart. Congratulations on such a big step.

And for going home afterwards, not to the pub.

Drinking is exhausting honey, there's a lot of work to put into sobriety, it's not just about "not drinking". I'm not in AA, but regardless, it's a daily commitment to actively building a new life.

I admire anyone who takes those steps, any steps toward a future without alcohol. AA may not be for everyone, but just taking some action to explore what might work for you is huge.

Be well.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Croissant- what do you find helpful?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Dollpart - sorry, only just saw your question. I think my journey was a little different in that I woke up one day, called in sick and the feelings of disgust were so much I knew I had to stop. I was scared I couldn't.

I stayed home from work and downloaded a few books on sobriety. The First 30 Days to Serenity was one. I couldn't even conceive of 30 days sober. So I got through my first couple of days....hour by hour at times. But the main thing after the initial few days was planning my days. Enjoying eating healthier, going for walks....I could not afford to have any idle time in my day at first!

After a few weeks, I found this place....and honestly, this is my daily "meeting"....connecting with others, understanding that sobriety just isn't about removing alcohol....it's sooo much more than those first few weeks of keeping away from drinking.

Some swear by AA and I think it's a great program. I often find the Women for Sobriety site helps me now I have more sobriety experience under my belt. I apply the 13 statements and focus on 2 or 3 each day or week.

I'm still learning, my life has changed a lot - but I'm still growing. Still have challenges, we had a lot of family issues this year and that has made me confront a lot of things. Spending time here helped me see how others coped at different stages and I'm sure you'll find lots of resources here, like I have.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I lasted nearly six days.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Dollpart. Do you mean you drank again? Did you go back to any meetings?

I hope you are ready to stop soon.

I read back through some of your previous posts to understand your journey so far. I see you are trying hard to stop...I'm wondering what makes you let down your guard and take that first drink again? Particularly when you know you want to stop?

I've been mostly sober since July last year. BUT have slipped/lapsed (different people call it different things) a couple of times. What is really important is to understand why you allowed yourself to drink, knowing that the first will lead to the next, and so on.

I think it may be a good idea to explore what makes you give in to the AV and then make the choice to win this because you deserve it.

Sorry also to hear you jumped out a window and broke your ankle. Hope it's on the mend. You do know you can do this, right? Yes, really.... you can!xx
Old 04-19-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks.

I am staying with family at the moment, and was offered a beer as a break from studying. I'd been saying no for six days. I couldn't deal with any more saying no.

Thanks for reading my posts, and making such a thoughtful reply It's appreciated.

I guess I could go back to alcohol counselling... Seems hard.

I dunno. It all seems hard, today.

Congratulations on nearly a year's mostly-sobriety That's impressive.

xx
Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So I'm back on Day Three... Staying with family until Friday. Not going to be able to go to any meetings while I'm here. :/
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I want to go home and stay in bed with two bottles of wine and sink.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

There are online meetings. Private message me if you want some links.