Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Whats the most embarrasing thing you've ever done whilst really drunk

Notices

Whats the most embarrasing thing you've ever done whilst really drunk

Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have been sober now for 3 weeks. The incident that happened to me three weeks ago, I will share. I had new depression medication that I just started. I drank that awful Thursday evening, and the result was I became suicidal. I told my Husband that I was going to jump out of the second story window.... He called the cops, and I ended up in the ER. I went into Detox the next day - and here I am. Much,much happier than ever. On the lighter side of this story - if I had jumped, I would have hurt myself.... bu it was only 18 feet up. It may not have been rock bottom, but it was my WAKE UP CALL!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
To be honest, I am much more embarassed about how I treated people during my drinking days when I was not under the direct influence of alcohol, drugs, etc. than my drinking exploits..
Ditto me too. I definitely had a lack of empathy and compassion for other people who were alcoholics or addicts and were out there panhandling for money. I remember thinking how much better I was than them because I had a job etc. And I might add that this was on my way to liquor store.

That embarrasses much more than being drunk in the liquor store.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I was at a wedding and I took my suit off and threw it into some foliage.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
I was at a wedding and I took my suit off and threw it into some foliage.

seriously trik? thats it?

unless you meant all your clothes
Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It's a long list
hard to say at this time
which was the worst

here on site
I have mentioned at least
20 things I wish not to repeat

MM
Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I still had my underwear on. Except for later on that night when I followed my best friends aunt into her hotel room and took off everything and got in her bed and tried to seduce her.

I woke up with a Hennessy cork in my pocket.

I'm a guy and I was the maid of honor at this wedding. They call it man of honor though.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
I still had my underwear on. Except for later on that night when I followed my best friends aunt into her hotel room and took off everything and got in her bed and tried to seduce her.

I woke up with a Hennessy cork in my pocket.

I'm a guy and I was the maid of honor at this wedding. They call it man of honor though.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Early in my drinking career when I was about 19, I lived with my mother (I am a female). After a drunken night I woke up blacked out naked and went into her bedroom and got in bed with her and started making out with her!!!! WOW! Was she surprised.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys
Remember that the purpose of this thread is not war stories.

Please try and present your stories, and how they helped bring you to recovery,

and remember - we're an open forum. Anyone can read us or search us through search engines.

Anything you put out there stays out there - forever.

thanks
D
Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I think the embarrassment and shame from the war stories are how they help bring people to recovery. I think they often speak for themselves.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've discussed that at length here, and in other threads. No need to rehash it again.
If everyone could abide by what I asked, all will be well

D
Old 04-17-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

When I compare how good I'm doing now to how I used to be, it feels great seeing how much I have improved. I still make some poor decisions, but it seems as though I'm making a lot less of them.

For a long time the stupid things I did we're just "war stories" to me. At some point I realized it wasn't funny anymore, and I was just disappointing my parents or girlfriends.
But even after realizing this, I still had a ton of trouble avoiding these issues because I couldn't stop the binging.

This year I decided to target what was triggering my drinking, which was being surrounded by friends who only want to party and don't care much about their careers. I burned some bridges and I've been doing a lot better!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I suppose for me it would be the intent of sharing the consequences of drinking? Step #5 asks us to do that, but not for the purpose of a war story (for jokes, for humor, or for clout, admiration, etc), it is to be honest.

I can't remember where I read it, but I do appreciate the statement that "we do not wish to dwell on the past nor shut the door on it".

I don't want to sit and remember everything I've done constantly to sit in the pity-pot, or hate myself, or add it as a badge of honor either (I think competition of this sort would put me off track). However, I do think the reminder serves to justify my reasons to stay sober. I put my wife at great risk one night because she had to walk home (several miles) as I stumbled home myself. It is a feeling of sadness that I have for that moment. Instead of honoring it, or using it to hammer my ego to feeling lower than the lowest low, I use it as a sobering reminder that I am powerless to the 1st drink and my loved ones aren't safe when I choose to take the 1st drink. Alcohol is not something I can take lightly. It was an emotional bottom for me.

As I said, I don't want to use my pain as something to compete with others for - it's my personal pain used for waking me up to my disease (like me finally feeling my hand is burning on the stove and I strive to MOVE my hand)

Thanks for the reminders to stay on track Dee74.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Guys
Remember that the purpose of this thread is not war stories.

Please try and present your stories, and how they helped bring you to recovery,

and remember - we're an open forum. Anyone can read us or search us through search engines.

Anything you put out there stays out there - forever.

thanks
D
good points made Dee

my last blackout with major
crash into an occupied building
told me I was done with drinking
I truly could not take any more
and was so very grateful
that once again no one got hurt
except for me
once again a bloody head
one more of many over the years

MM
Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well, it seems there are more tragic and sad events than embarrassing ones...it only goes to say that as someone said, we held our hands to the fire than was wise. why do we do that? Addiction.

June
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
lucky

All this happened within the past 6 weeks: broke my wrist, lost my phone and wallet, went to the loo and left a sanitary pad in the bowl for my room-mate to find, and the finale - last weekend after a wine buffet cried like a baby and told some mutual friends the deepest darkest secrets about my ex and our relationship - they are closer to her than me and she has no doubt been informed of what I divulged.
Oh - and the same night french kissed someone i am in no way attracted to in front of the whole bar.

Sorry, just read what Dee wrote. I guess it was this last month or so that made me realize enough is enough. How many times can I fall over in front of people? How long is this going to go on for before I really start living?
I deserve better for myself.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
lucky

But I have of course done far, far worse....
Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

A couple of years ago I was staying at a friend’s house with my then-girlfriend, the now-famed N. I was a lot drunker than I had intended, as was usual at that time. When I woke up, I realised I had wet my pants. That was, embarrassingly, only the first in a series of such incidents at the time. That’s embarrassing, sure, but that’s not the painful and shameful thing to admit.

That is this:

My jeans were dark and the stain invisible. Rather than go home and wash up, like any normally mortified person would, I went along with everyone to the pub and had drink after drink, sat there in cold trousers. I even went for lunch (with, of course, a pint) in the same clothes. I didn’t care about anything except my next drink. I didn’t care about anything else, not my girlfriend, not my friends, not the actual lunch as I made it try to taste like something. I only wanted to be drunk. That achieved, I got home, took off the clothes and drank some wine, failing to shower.

I don’t know what on earth has made me share this story. It is one of the things I return to when I feel ashamed or guilty about my alcohol abuse. One of the things that makes me feel most like an alcoholic and ****, there I’ve said it.

Soon after, like days later, N and I broke up. I never got to talk about it with my counsellor, nor the final violent incident that led to the break up. I never got to tell him how far I was slipping. He would have known the right thing to say and I would not have liked it, and perhaps we would have parted on bad terms so maybe it’s a good thing.