Notices
View Poll Results: Were your parents alcoholics?
No
32.67%
Yes, my mother was an alcoholic
11.88%
Yes, my father was an alcoholc
32.67%
Yes, both my mother and father were alcoholics
19.55%
I don't know
3.22%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Were your parents alcoholics?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yep my mother is and remains untreated and in total denial. My father grew depressed in his 30s and became an alcoholic.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

my dad keeps a bottle of wild turkey for when he has colds. my mother had one drink in her whole life, literally.

I guess I made this problem myself.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

My dad drank for a long time, eventually he got custody of my sisters and I, and he quit. He wasn't too bad as a drinker, he just did stupid stuff like take a leak in the kitchen lol. Although one time he took a leak on my bed when I was in it, then I asked him what's up, he told me to shut the hell up. He didn't even remember this when I told him later. Then my parents got divorced, didn't work with my mom, he got charge of us three years later and he quit, so that's pretty cool. He won't even have one beer on New Year's these days.
Haven't seen my mom since I was 15, but she was an alcoholic. The kind of drinker that went nuts when drinking too much, which was just about every weekend. Once she phoned the cops because nobody in the province we were in was speaking French, and one time she had a suicidal attempt and got in the hospital. I wasn't around then, my older sister was though. She never told me this until like two years ago.
My grandpa was also an alcoholic, he drank at work and never ate anything during the whole day. He eventually got a pacemaker and stopped, but near the end of his life, he started up again. He was all manners of messed up as far as health is concerned at that point though, no harm, he figured lol.

Rambling ovah lol.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Yeah, my father died of a stroke at 35, he was a raging alcoholic and never ate anything. My mother wasn't too bad, but towards the end she was strung out on pills as well as alcohol. She killed herself at 46. They never lives to see their grandson.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to all the people who had or have alcoholic parents. My mom was a binger just like I am. She was a MEAN drunk and well she still is sadly. She made my life a living hell when she drank. Growing up with her (she was divorced) she would drink and call me names, or make me stay up all night with her. I never got dinner when she drank, she then embarrassed me when I was teenager a lot. I vowed to never be like her. Ha, I am a binger just like her, I am not mean most of the time and my child always eats but I know I could be a better mom if I didn't binge. My dad drank and still does. He was a nice drunk, most of the time when I was young I didn't even know he was drinking. He is now 74 and drinks like a fish. I pray for him all the time.
I really do think I took to drinking because of them. My mom made drinking seem like it was fine too do. She didn't even care when I was drinking at 17. Sad really.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

There is not a single person I am related to by blood who isn't an alcoholic or addict.

A very sobering fact when I really think about it.

Edited to add: I GIVEN my first drink by my mother at age 11. By the time I was 16 I was adding alcohol to my water bottle on the way to school. No one in my family batted an eye. They think I am nuts now for getting sober and I am sure "boring" and "teetotaler" are getting tossed around when talking about me.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

My Dad was a very "high functioning" alcoholic. He quit drinking and at the age of 50, He started & earned a Masters degree in Sociology, specializing in chemical dependency...not to practice it, but to try and aid his 5 children, who were all at one time alcoholic or alcoholic addicts. Bless his heart
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Both parents alcoholic.
Mother never really stopped until late stage cancer / illness in nursing home.
Father also stopped very late in life but on his own.
They were divorced, but all my mother's boyfriends were alcoholics too.

I never knew "normal" growing up
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Every male older than me in my family are either an alcoholic or dead alcoholic. Dont know what it is bit on both sides of family thats been the way. Most of thwm have worked in a brewery etc etc

not sure if my dad is still alive but his old drinking buddy. His brother died of it. I had no chance lol
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

Wow this thread is hitting home. My father abused alcohol and his father was alcoholic. 2 older brothers and a sister who drink too much. See some signs in 2 of my nephews.

My brothers and sisters are all much older than me. I am youngest of 6 and have seen all of them drunk at one point or another.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

My mom drinks every day... probably always has. Her only brother is a severe, homeless drunk who might be dead by now, no one in the family knows. Dad drinks a glass of wine every now and then.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

My parents seldom drank and never touched other drugs either. Both of my grandfathers were alcoholics, though.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I answered dont know for old man drinks everyday but has never had work issues(workaholic) actually. Mother passed when I was 6 but have never heard anything bad bout her. Uncle on her side died several yrs ago but he was severe alki & the one on dads side is still actively & heavily drinkin
Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Both of my maternal grandparents died of their alcohol addictions. My father is a recovering (??) pill addict - he appears to have upped his drinking considerably since he dropped the pills, however.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

My Father was an alcoholic. I say 'was' because it killed him.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

My father is an alcoholic but had been sober for probably 23 years. I remember when I was 6 or so he did an inpatient for a week or two. Then AA after that.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I have never seen either of my parents take a drink. My grandfather was an alcoholic. I remember when I was about 7 years old and he called up my dad ( he must have been drunk) and the next thing I knew, my dad was crying. I Never saw my dad cry other than that. My grandfather did get sober way later but he was pretty mean.

GoMan
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

My dad was a chronic alcoholic and he did imbarassing things
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

my father I believe to be an alcoholic. He just quit one day...then left my mom a couple months later for my now step-mom.

He didn't drink (that I was aware of...ordered O'Doul's in restaurants even) until 2 years ago. He and my stepmom were for a visit and he ordered a REGULAR beer. I was shocked.

My mom, she can have a half glass of wine and she is just delighted--and satisfied.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

My mom doesn’t drink, my dad does but drinks only a couple a few times a week, neither one understands my situation, although many of my uncles are alcoholic or were, most are dead from it.