SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I'm an alcoholic. I need help... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/310384-im-alcoholic-i-need-help.html)

TigerKnee 10-12-2013 04:42 AM

I'm an alcoholic. I need help...

I drink to get drunk. I drink in the morning. I drink a whole cup of whiskey at 6AM just to get my buzz and I do it without my wife knowing. I have two kids. I know I'm doing it wrong. I tell myself I can drink responsibly but that's such a lie. I know what I'm doing is wrong but I can't help it. Someone please talk some sense into me... My marriage isn't completely falling apart but I'm sure it'll happen eventually... Currently drunk now from over a cup of Jim Bean.

Help me...

Sudz No More 10-12-2013 04:51 AM

Not much you can do right this minute now that you already drank. Why not start a pot of coffee and make a nice breakfast? It will soak the liquor up and start to sober you out. Then start to make a plan for the rest of your day without anymore alcohol. Promise yourself you are not going to drink tomorrow, take it one day at a time.

Don't forget the horrible way you feel right now

seanie1888 10-12-2013 04:52 AM

You need to lay down the drink pal, and find a form of recovery.

It has to happen sooner or later, so why not now?

Pour it down sink, sleep and get plenty of water into you, find a AA meeting or some other programme.

I wish you well

Sudz No More 10-12-2013 04:54 AM

I see that was your first post so welcome and congratulations for taking the first step. There is a whole new sober world awaiting you if you just take the initiative right now and make a plan to be sober.

Sudz No More 10-12-2013 04:56 AM

Now is the time Buddy, do it for your family. Most of all though, do it for you. You have got to want for yourself so badly before anything or anyone else is going to matter.

IOAA2 10-12-2013 05:38 AM

Welcome Tiger. Years ago when I finally stopped drinking I needed to get honest about my drinking at all times, part of that was eliminating the idea it was fun especially towards the end. For your future benefit REMEMBER how you feel now and the coming days so you don't have to repeat it. I was told and believe to this day that I was getting sober for only ME. Perhaps it seems selfish but the other things will fall into place if we're successful. There are people who are perhaps because of their drinking and undisciplined life argue about their not a fit for AA. Fine the doors are always open and it has helped millions world wide for many years. These forums certainly are a big help for many with a lot of helpful people available. BE WELL

jaynie04 10-12-2013 05:47 AM

Hi TigerKnee and welcome. It might not feel like it but you just made a step towards changing your life. I know what it feels like to feel trapped. You want something so much even though it is killing you. It's hard because it is a lonely feeling. Reading about other people's experience here helped me so much.

Not sure how much you know about detox, but if you are drinking a lot it is wise to consult a doctor. I know it's scary, but for me living the way I was living was scarier. I was tired of being a slave to a liquid in a bottle.

Glad you are here!

heath480 10-12-2013 05:54 AM

Welcome to SR.

Make today a new start for you,commit to staying away from the first drink.If you don't take the first drink you can't get drunk.Simple to say,not easy to do,but doable if you want sobriety enough.

I wish you well.

Nevertheless 10-12-2013 07:21 AM

Welcome to SR. Admitting you want to stop and need help is a huge step in the right direction. Once hooked on this stuff,it is very difficult to quit. Doing it on your own makes it even harder. Getting help will make it easier.
I think the first thing to do is walk right into an AA hall like you own the place. Once through the door it gets easier. Every one there had to walk through the door for the first time also. They are there for the same reason.
Whether AA is for you or not will be your decision. For me,just being around other people with the same problem,trying to stay sober is what I needed.
Also if you are drinking a whole cup of whiskey in the morning to get started. I have a pretty good idea your wife knows exactly what is going on. Whiskey has a pretty loud aroma.
At any rate,keep on posting. There are a lot of people here that have been through this that can help.

Fred

TigerKnee 10-12-2013 07:37 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. I'm 36 years old and I've been battling this for 15 years now. I actually went through a whole year sober but fell off the wagon. Alcohol is just everywhere and it's just tough to keep it straight.

I really admire all of you that can keep sober...

longbeachone 10-12-2013 08:08 AM

Hi Tiger (like that name!)...You've made a first small step by posting here, admitting your problem. Now, if you are serious about saving your marriage and living a happier, calmer, more peaceful life, then it's time to start making a plan. Sometimes, this admission and intent to quit drinking can push your consumption to out of control levels. I'm only saying this to caution you...I've seen this too often lately. Work this information into your plan.

Start with AA. Even if you eventually don't like AA and want to try another program, I think the people and acceptance that you will find at an AA meeting are so unbelievably comforting that it is essential in the early days. Just my opinion.

Can you afford, or will your insurance cover detox/rehab? If they will, do it. It takes away all of the relapse options, at least for a month until you get your bearings. If you can't, or don't want to go this route, then you need to see your Dr about withdrawal issues. Doctors see patients with alcohol related issues every single day, so even though it may feel embarrassing, it's just business as usual for your Dr. If you can't get an appt. go to urgent care. You will be given medicine to help you get through withdrawal.

After you are done physically withdrawing, it will be up to you to deal with staying sober, and this site has fantastic advise and resource help. I say go to AA. It will help A LOT. Good luck Tiger...we're all pulling for you!

Wildog007 10-12-2013 09:53 AM

I know where you're coming from. I once had a wife and two kids. I had to lose them and much, much more before I finally gave it up. Just now am I able to see my beautiful daughters again. I was a morning drinker and a bottle hider too. I can promise you it will not get any better. I hope and pray you can find the support and honesty with yourself you'll need to sober up before you lose the great things you have. You've taken a great step posting here. Pour out the poison and keep coming back.
Good luck to you.

KDBnSLC 10-12-2013 09:55 AM

Welcome Tiger. We've all been there. This is a progressive disease....it only gets worse.
Go to YouTube and search for "Drugged: High on Alcohol."
Again welcome aboard. I give this site a huge amount of credit for keeping me sober for 40 days now. Come back often...you're not alone in this.

Tamerua 10-12-2013 10:02 AM

Hi TK
Welcome! Glad you're here! Why not put the booze down the drain, start some coffee and water and take that first step towards stopping? You're right, it is everywhere. But so is sobriety and you will see that if you stop.

TigerKnee 10-12-2013 10:08 AM

I went through a whole year and fooled myself into thinking I can drink responsibly. I know that's not the case. It's tough battling substance abuse most of my adult life and just quit cold turkey. I know lots of you are saying just put the bottle down but it's hard to do.

I'll hopefully figure it out one day and I will continue to browse these forums for support.

Thanks everyone <3

TigerKnee 10-12-2013 10:15 AM

Coming from a family of alcoholics is extremely tough. It's literally EVERYWHERE for me. My father died from organ failure due to alcoholism. How have all of you been able to sidestep situations where you are pressured to drink??

I can't just skirt gatherings.

jaynie04 10-12-2013 10:17 AM

Hi TK, you aren't alone, and the idea of being able to drink like normal people sneaks up on everyone. I guess knowing that is part of the way to diffuse it. It is amazing how quickly our minds erase the pain, mess, horror, hangovers....Glad you are here, SR has helped me tremendously. Would you consider joining the October class, it is for people who are quitting this month. Just makes it a bit more personal.

karate 10-12-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TigerKnee (Post 4234802)
Coming from a family of alcoholics is extremely tough. It's literally EVERYWHERE for me. My father died from organ failure due to alcoholism. How have all of you been able to sidestep situations where you are pressured to drink??

Yes ,when I first quit 90 days was recommended to abstain ,so I did .

I found out there are ALOT of people that don't drink ,that were never alocholics ,but still don't drink .

Most of my inner circle of friends don't drink and /or extreme small amounts ,like 6 beers a year .

Nevertheless 10-12-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TigerKnee (Post 4234802)

There were a number of social events I got so drunk I had to lean on someone to keep from falling down. Or saying or doing something really stupid.
So for me,looking at the bigger picture I was better off not going than all of the regret and embarrassment.
So I just sidestepped by not attending. Now after being sober a few years I have no desire to attend drinkfests anyway. I only went to get drunk(for me there is no other reason to drink). So to my way of thinking,if everyone else is drinking.....Why Go? There was a thread very recently asking would the sober you hang out with the drunk you. My answer to that was pretty simple. HELL NO.... I don't want to hang out with the drunk anybody.
But when I quit I had tried many times and had a pretty good idea of the things and situations where I would fail. I avoided those things if there was any way to avoid them the first few months.
To succeed sobriety has to come above everything else. This is a disease that can and will kill us,and it must be treated that way. "one day" is not a day of the week. 'One day" may never come if we put it off long enough.
Fred

Tamerua 10-12-2013 11:57 AM

I changed everything. I stopped going to places with booze, I met sober people and I talk to them daily.