Notices

How long does Fatty Liver take to heal??

Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Why play with fire .

?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
did you ever have elevated liver enzymes? and how much for how long? did you have an ultrasound of your liver? Do you know that people don't always heal from a fatty liver even if they stop drinking?
Never had an ultrasound done.

Yes, my liver enzymes elevated, thats what blood test showed
Originally Posted by karate View Post
Why play with fire .

?
Because never ever having a beer again is just not being realistic.

I will see how it goes. Play it week by week and see how I feel
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This-
Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
A normal social drinker in good health would not have this type of issue
Moderation will be an unhappy uphill battle. It will be very frustrating only having a couple, when your brain will want many more...
Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Huh?

Not sure, but don't start drinking again. Or you'll end up with cirrhosis. Not fun!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Because never ever having a beer again is just not being realistic.
I'm really sorry to hear you still saying that Dutchee.

Expecting that drinking again won't bite you on the butt, especially with liver health problems that were caused by drinking, is not realistic either...but it's your call.

genuinely, best wishes,
D
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Huh?

Not sure, but if you drink again, the damage will come back, and result in cirrhosis. Won't take as long as you think it will, either...
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Your addiction is so much stronger than your willpower to stop it. I only had a fatty liver and slightly raised enzymes. That was all was needed to say enough's enough.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I appreciate the concern you guys. I really do.

I'll be fine though
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

....Oh sweety
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Recovering

It's amazing the power alcohol has over people. But i can undetstand you Dutchee - accepting that I should/would never drink again was the hardest part for me. After 6 months I had got to really enjoy sobriety.

But if you developed fatty liver then either you had a serious inability to limit your drinking, or you have a liver that is very sensitive to alcohol. Either way you have already gone part of the way towards cirrhosis (you will always be more susceptible to liver damage now).

Why is alcohol so important to you that you would risk more liver damage? A non-alcoholic would easily make the decision to protect their liver from further assault.

I'd encourage you to reconsider drinking - it's really not worth risking your life for, and life can be really good with the artificial highs of alcohol.

God bless +
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Depending on individual circumstances, I've always heard fatty liver can be reversed in approx 6 months for most heavy drinkers given they completely abstain.
What an amazing little organ, and like said above -- how nice it gives us a warning before completely ruining your life (if only alch was the same!)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

just a quick question...How do you know you have a fatty liver if yo never had an ultrasound done?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

just a quick question...How do you know you have a fatty liver if yo never had an ultrasound done?
They were actually not 100% sure it was fatty liver. I definitely had elevated enzymes though.

My doctor said it could also be a candida/parasite infection that caused abdominal bloating. He offered to have an ultrasound or liver biopsy done, but I declined
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dutchee View Post
They were actually not 100% sure it was fatty liver. I definitely had elevated enzymes though.

My doctor said it could also be a candida/parasite infection that caused abdominal bloating. He offered to have an ultrasound or liver biopsy done, but I declined
why did you decline the ultrasound? I wouldn't assume things when it comes to your liver
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

why did you decline the ultrasound? I wouldn't assume things when it comes to your liver
If I had a really bad fatty liver, the enzymes wouldnt have come down after 4-6 weeks. And had the enzymes not come down after my 2nd test I most definitely wouldve had ultrasound done.

As it stands now I'm gonna go back to my partying ways, but do so moderately. I will still get my enzyme levels checked bi-monthly, and I'll also keep taking my supplements for liver protection
Old 09-22-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dutchee View Post
If I had a really bad fatty liver, the enzymes wouldnt have come down after 4-6 weeks.
For what it's worth, my enzymes are perfect and always have been but ultrasound shows either moderate fatty liver (probably) or possibly compensated cirrhosis. I have to have further tests to find out which. Cirrhosis often has few symptoms.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR abstinencerocks

Hope yr results are good ones

D
Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR abstinencerocks

Hope yr results are good ones

D
Thanks Dee. Other than the ultrasound, the only thing wrong with me is extreme fatigue. I assumed this was from coming off years of heavy drinking but it could be the liver. I'd love to know how long it takes to feel less tired.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The liver doesn't always give "warning signs." I've seen a person with a cirrhotic liver that had no idea, no symptoms, until he came to the hospital for an unrelated surgery and it was discovered upon opening him up to take out his gallbladder. He had no idea. The only way to determine how much damage you have is to actually have a liver biopsy. Many people think that the liver will miraculously heal itself and turn into a fresh new organ as if nothing ever happened.....this is not the case.

If you accidentally cut yourself, your skin may "heal", but there could be a scar left behind. The same goes for your liver. Normal enzymes don't always mean that there is no damage.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Now im paranoid my liver is shot. My enzymes were normal but i do have a fatty liver last time i had an ultrasound