Notices

Asked to speak at AA..

Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asked to speak at AA..

So, a woman I know asked me to speak at her home group next Wednesday. I only have to speak for about 10-15 minutes and then there is a discussion.

The thing is, aside from alcohol, drugs are a very large part of my story (painkillers that were prescribed after multiple surgeries due to a car crash I was in while drunk and it progressed very quickly).

I am a member of AA and no other 12 step groups.

Do I share the experience with drugs or keep it strictly to alcohol??

This is my first time speaking like this. I have just under 10 months sober now.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The answer to your question depends a lot upon the group you're speaking at. Some groups are very intolerent of people sharing about drugs other than alcohol. Some don't care.

Out of respect for AA I'd advise to keep your sharing on your experience regarding alcohol. It is Alcoholics Anonymous, NOT Narcotics Anonymous. Most people have drugs in their story, so IMO a quick mention of how they played a part in my story is no big deal, but people are there to hear your experience with alcohol. Not drugs.

Whenever I'm speaking, as hard as it might be at times, I do my best to not think about anything I'm going to say beforehand. Right before the meeting starts I go into the bathroom and say a prayer asking God to get me and my ego out of the way and speak through me. I ask that I be able to help someone, anyone, in the room, even if I don't know how that happened. I ask to be given the right frame of mind to bless, not impress. And then whatever happens happens. Not my responsibility any more.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experiance I would stick to alcohol. I have heard people mention that alcohol brought them to other substances with out naming the substances.

Like in your case you could bring up the very thing you mentioned. The car accident due to being drunk which led you to abusing other substances but the main focus should be the alcohol.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I don't want to think about what I'm going to talk about beforehand, I just wanted to know about the drugs part.
I listen to a lot of speaker tapes, and I hear drugs being shared about sometimes, so I wasn't sure.

I appreciate the feedback..
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found this and thought it might be helpful to explain better the need to stick to alcohol only.

Mentioning drugs in AA meetings - AA FAQ
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was perfect, GracieLou...thank you!! Exactly what I needed to read and so true.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JenEss View Post
That was perfect, GracieLou...thank you!! Exactly what I needed to read and so true.
I agree. Gonna print that up as I believe it might come in handy.